Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB2 /3/4 front sprocket.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
vort28

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:29 pm    Post subject: DB2 /3/4 front sprocket. Reply with quote

Am in the process of changing chain and sprockets on my DB4. Have found out that the front is 95% 900ss , with and extra recess to allow the sprocket to move outboard on the output shaft. B&C express can not find anything to suite . Anyone had similar issues and know of a source. I believe DB2 and 3 are the same.
oily

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite sure what you mean about this "recess" but as an option, there's always the machining or adding a spacer options available Wink
vort28

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ducati sprocket is flat on the front , and locking ring bolts to it. DB4 has a recess for the locking ring 3.5/4mm deep , so it moves the front sprocket outwards to align to rear. Problem with machining is they are hardened , so spark eroding only. Not the cheapest.
oily

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They would only be case hardened so once that's been ground away..................... Wink
oily

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just been reading a forum where it's common practice to machine front sprokets and even weld two together to make off set sproket's so, as I thought, they arn't that hard Wink
deebee4

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I remember getting a sprocket from the Ducati dealer after I showed them the db4 item and they came up with one that fitted quite well. Maybe one from a 9xx would work?
redtop

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2011 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The German company Wieres has the correct front sprockets for the DBs:
www.wieres.de
I bought a complete kit from them last year.

You can also machine a Ducati front sprocket to fit. Just bring the old sprocketet to a descent shop, or contact me and I'll be happy to send you a drawing.
DB2 #300
Desmo_Demon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is an older thread, but I'll reply for any future searches on the subject....

redtop wrote:
The German company Wieres has the correct front sprockets for the DBs:
www.wieres.de
I bought a complete kit from them last year.

You can also machine a Ducati front sprocket to fit. Just bring the old sprocketet to a descent shop, or contact me and I'll be happy to send you a drawing.

Redtop provided a schematic/drawing of the dimensions for the front sprocket and I had two machined to fit the OEM retainer. This is a picture of the machine work and the retainer that was on my '94 DB2...

You may need to correct me, but I have been told and seen in the parts manuals that the DB3/4 has a front sprocket that is similar to the one used on the Paso 750 and a few other earlier Ducati bikes. That sprocket looks like this....

This is the only picture I have of the one that was on my Paso 750, but I think you can see how it is recessed on the one side. This sprocket allows the use of a regular Ducati retainer. I'm thinking this is the route I may wind up going, some day, if I cannot find another OEM Bimota retainer.

On the other hand, rear sprockets are an off-the-shelf item. I know they are readily available from Vortex and Supersprox. I recently bought a Supersprox.

Edit - This is a picture of a stock Paso 750 sprocket that I pulled from the Ducati Paso forum...

"Map Junkie: My Motorcycle Journeys"
vort28

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I bought mine B&C express said they could not find a match, but maybe they just looked at the later stuff.
I had 2 spark eroded, but I guess in the future the paso knowlwdge will come in handy.
Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: