Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

SB 6 r help with suspension setup needed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Horseheed

PostPosted: Thu Nov 15, 2018 4:01 pm    Post subject: SB 6 r help with suspension setup needed Reply with quote

Hi, could anyone give any advice with setting up the suspension on my sb6r please . Iam 5ft 10" and 13.5 st, any setting for road use would be much appreciated , also any advice on the mod for the alternator that requires the removal of some rubber ? Many thanks Nigel
O_Roger

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your height and weight are less relevant for a good suspension set-up then most people would think. For a start compress the front by pushing down on it and letting go, if it “jumps” back up and overshoots its zero position then that’s no good. Check out some videos on YouTube on what to look for in setting up your suspension and try to get the bike to spring back in a sophisticated manner when pressing down on it. Probably that will do you allot of good already if posible without a service, next you can use cableties to check how far your spring is compressed when sitting on it and when going out for a ride. The cable tie is put on the polished part of your suspension and gets pushed down when compressed.
The Öhlins in the back are good and low maintenance, I did need the front to be fully serviced on my bike.
If you are looking for an answer like “do 5 clicks to the right” I’m afraid no one can give you that on an old bike with unknown suspension oil.
Horseheed

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:37 pm    Post subject: Sb6r suspension set up Reply with quote

O_Roger wrote:
Your height and weight are less relevant for a good suspension set-up then most people would think. For a start compress the front by pushing down on it and letting go, if it “jumps” back up and overshoots its zero position then that’s no good. Check out some videos on YouTube on what to look for in setting up your suspension and try to get the bike to spring back in a sophisticated manner when pressing down on it. Probably that will do you allot of good already if posible without a service, next you can use cableties to check how far your spring is compressed when sitting on it and when going out for a ride. The cable tie is put on the polished part of your suspension and gets pushed down when compressed.
The Öhlins in the back are good and low maintenance, I did need the front to be fully serviced on my bike.
If you are looking for an answer like “do 5 clicks to the right” I’m afraid no one can give you that on an old bike with unknown suspension oil.

Horseheed

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 1:40 pm    Post subject: Sb6r suspension set up Reply with quote

Thank you for the info and advice Roger , I will try what you say this weekend and let you know the outcome. Cheers Nigel
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2018 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't know, don't fiddle.
Find a suspension workshop and pay for a setup its good value.
Horseheed

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2018 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Point taken , but we all have to start somewhere don’t we
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

muppet

https://youtu.be/oIXRTQGWZE0
Ulrich

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2018 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I experienced brake chatter and other vibrations , hard ride, little traction at the rear wheel due to a bad suspension set-up. I ended up changing the fork spring,experimenting with oil viscosity; for rear suspension I tried 115, 110, 95 and finally 105 spring rate. I installed a hydraulic pre-load adjuster (Öhlins part) in order to adjust negative sag easily. Rear shock service at 20000km at Öhlins dealer. Last but not least, a set of modern tires makes a big difference. Try Metzeler M7RR. With modern tires and a correct suspension set-up improvement of handling and fun driving are amazing.
Spongebob

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's worth investing in a strip and rebuild of the front and rear suspension. Front is fairly likely to have had seals and oil replaced over the years but highly likely the rear has never been touched and it's likely to be at least 20 years old now. Ohlins are completely rebuild-able. I used MH Racing near Chippenham. I also invested in a pair of Dymag carbon wheels on mine and the whole bike is transformed.
Horseheed

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:17 pm    Post subject: Sb 6r suspension set up Reply with quote

Hi, many many thanks to almost all of the help and advice , I've done the basic things and the bike is now handling better . The weather has changed significantly so can't really try much more now till the spring . P.S. SpongeBob if Mark Hammond has done anything with your bike it will be better mate , a really nice guy who does know his stuff. Cheers
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: