Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB3/4 front end vibration under braking

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ssz Mantra

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 10:17 pm    Post subject: DB3/4 front end vibration under braking Reply with quote

Hi,
A fellow Mantra rider and I have experienced vibration on the front end of the bike, as if the wheel was jumpin through bumps when under braking. This gets especially bad if the bike is in a slight lean angle.
Has anyone experienced something similar and, more importantly, managed to fix it?
My bike is currently being looked at by a mech but helpful pointers would be much appreciated.
brian

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2019 10:50 pm    Post subject: Re: DB3/4 front end vibration under braking Reply with quote

ssz Mantra wrote:
Hi,
A fellow Mantra rider and I have experienced vibration on the front end of the bike, as if the wheel was jumpin through bumps when under braking. This gets especially bad if the bike is in a slight lean angle.
Has anyone experienced something similar and, more importantly, managed to fix it?
My bike is currently being looked at by a mech but helpful pointers would be much appreciated.

Things to check...

Brake rotors for runout (warp)
Wheels bearings
Steering head bearings
Wheel balance
Loose bolts or axle
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
quikduk

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto and...

warped, bent or out-of-round wheel

I had the above happen and the balance didn't indicate it was out of spec...but hands off the bars check sure did. Talk about a wake-up call! Shocked
pkay

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My BMW R1100 had this problem - I thought it was the disk but turned out to be the hoses. Felt like a warped disk but it was the hydraulic pressure oscillating due to the degradation of the rubber hose. I fitted braided hoses and problem gone with same disks.

If your head bearings are shot you'll notice it when your riding - you should get a wobble through the steering that again feels like a warped rim or risk.
2bims

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2019 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont have much to add to that.....sometimes the steering head bearings need some grease and/or tightening up a little....Italians are famed for using tiny amounts of grease on such things.....When was the front suspension last refreshed? New fluids/seals...are they balanced in compression/rebound/preload.....Is the tyre still round and evenly worn? What the other boys state can cause uneven wear on the tyre....Are the caliper pistons moving in and out OK...or is the odd one sticking on one side causing uneven braking?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: