Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

SB6R Electric gremlins

View previous topic :: View next topic  
andybim

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:52 pm    Post subject: SB6R Electric gremlins Reply with quote

Hi,

Now my SB6R is back on the road after >10 years of storage I want to fix some minor electric gremlins.

Does anybody have a wiring diagram?
Failing that can anybody tell me the earthing points, especially interested in the clocks and connections in the front fairing.

There is some interactions between things that should not be connected that point to earthing issues and/or bad connections. For instance sometimes the front brake light switch will cause the low fuel light to come on (with fuel pump). The speedometer does not work below about 70kmh and some other oddities.

When I strip her down and look at the wiring I will make notes and take pictures to post here to help anybody else having issues (which I know is quite common)

Thanks
Andy
Spongebob

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there is a wiring diagram in the back of the owners manual. If you message me your email address i will scan it and send you a copy. Mind it is very basic though
andybim

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Spongebob!

Embarassed I blame it on moving house and getting her back on the road.

I have just looked in the back of the manual...
andybim

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checking out the wiring, had to take quite a lot apart to get to the instrument panel, removing the headlight to get to the bottom nut.

There was a very unsettling rattle coming from inside, a bit of a faff taking the casing apart but eventually found the culprit.

Will have to get to the circuit board and see what needs to be fixed.
Ulrich

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very interesting picture of the opened clock.

Was it opened before? I`m asking because the large blue Philips capacitor is most likely not original - but a very good upgrade. The two issues with original capacitor are a) the electrical wires brake due to vibration because it is loosely mounted and b) capacity is too small such that RPM are stuck at 1000 if the ignition is turned off.

Last edited by Ulrich on Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
andybim

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't look like it had been opened before, unfortunately the 470uF capacitor had not been fixed down and had snapped both legs which is why it was rattling around (the rattle is why I opened it up)

Here is where it should have been CF3, have you seen versions with a different capacitor?

Ulrich

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This capacitor is used to smooth the main voltage supply for the electronics and gauges. In addition, if you turn off the ignition the needle of the RPM meter needs some power (stored in this capacitor) to return to zero. Because the capacitance is too small it reaches usually only a point around 1000 RPM. Not a big thing,but something that can be improved easily. Therefore I replaced the capacitor by 1000uF and everything works perfect. Gives a good feeling ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: