Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB6 adjustable windscreen
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
lobomau

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2018 10:54 pm    Post subject: DB6 adjustable windscreen Reply with quote

After riding the DB6 bougth recently, I decided it needed a windscreen.
So I looked for an existing windscreen on the market, and designed parts to fix it on the bike.
I wanted an adjustable windscreen, both for sport and sporttouring ride.
that's the result.

Low touring position
https://www.dropbox.com/s/chud1z25v3tcxhu/IMG_20181125_132820_HDR_.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/sjifujabms1xr6m/IMG_20181125_141744_HDR_.jpg?dl=0

intermediate sport position
https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ymgu7xbjesc9yi/IMG_20181125_132901_HDR_.jpg?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/i76t9abi22re5sy/IMG_20181125_132918_HDR_.jpg?dl=0

How it's made
https://www.dropbox.com/s/x1esgl7y8qja3p7/IMG_20181125_141758_HDR_.jpg?dl=0
[img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/x1esgl7y8qja3p7/IMG_20181125_141758_HDR_.jpg?dl=0[/img]

the screen is a Puig model for the Ducati Diavel.
model 8922F
https://puig.tv/en/tuning-motos/windshields-specific-for-non-round-headlights/naked-new-generation-touring?bike=12871

The fix is placed-bracketed on the front fork tubes.
Is an aluminum CNC machined part-bracket, then anodised.
two sheet metal parts, laser cutted then one bended.
Then fast levers to adjust the screen possition.

Today I went for test riding.
It's a big difference from a full naked.

Now, the most interesting for those who are interested on one similar windscreen. I made two ... and will give (free, no costs, the second sample).
No exactly give, but exchange.
Exchange for software to diagnostic and tune the DB6 with ECU Pegaso.
So, if someone want to share those files (send by email) I will sent for free the parts to fix the windscreen.

Hope you like the windscreen.
Carlampio

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice idea, very useful, but I don't like the look.

I like the carbon parts!
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lobo....you may be wondering why no great responses or take-up of your great offer...…..Its simple because no one has the software for the Pegaso ECU.....the cable can be quite easily made...but this also is no longer available to be bought.....Early on with both the DB5 and DB6 Bimota used the 1000cc engine and Pegaso ECU...all the testers noted a glitch in throttle response around 5-6thou revs.....Bimota said no worries..they would fix it...….They did....By using the later 1100cc engine and installing a Walbro ECU....At one time I was asked by Bimota would owners of the old bike be interested in an upgrade from pegaso to Walbro ecu and all cables to change over....I said yes...they said 1,000 euros...PLUS...you install it yourself.....Not very helpful for a dealer who SHOULD have been correcting the issue for free...….

On later later models...like DB10 and DBX...they swapped again to a Athena ECU...but before they went bump they never got around to writing a programme to fiddle with that ECU either...….
lobomau

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi 2bims.
Thanks for the reply. There are no many replies.
My DB6 is 1100 with Pegaso ECU. Bought it recently, didn't made many rides/kms, and the ones I did, no problem detected, just great fun.
Not used to naked bikes, don't like all that air force at speed, so did that windscreen and ride is a lot better.

Searched and read a lot of forums and other sources for the Pegaso ECU.
Found many owners with the same problem. few answers, no sharing.
Actually found someones have the software ... but after no solution sharing.

I'm spending some energy on this subject.
About cables. this is what I've done. (at this stage some of the cables no tested and confirmed, because of lack of software)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/203lal4ddvtol7m/obd_pinout.pdf?dl=0
Bought cables :
- TEXA Bimota cable
- FTDI USB-RS232 converter, 5V.
- OBD plug-cable bluetooth
- OBB FTDI cable
-

About software
As I have no official software Bimota|Pegaso. I'm trying to use general diagnostics software:
TuneECU, CarScanner, Torque, OBDwiz, AutoDoctor,,,,

At this stage I m tuning the cables and establishing communication with the ECU.
Second stage will software identfy ECU and read codes.

My big hope still is someone could share de software.

Bimota (hoeadquartes, Italy, yes they answeared) says actually don't have copy of software (strange).
I m beginning to think this subject is kind of taboo.

Didn't gave up trying.
Sure a solution is found I ll share it here.

thanks again for the reply.
lobomau

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

two new additions to the DB6.

a sport size windscreen, smaller and black.

A Matris steering damper. a lot of money, but riding is a lot more better (and safe).
I m also in a process of adjusting the suspensions. Bike come with very hard setup and oversteering ride.
rear spring is very stiff and cannot adjust to a proper sag, probably will change to a softer spring.
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like you are working thru the DB6 issues one by one.....as known by others...Steering damper certainly a good addition..on windy days the bike can waver and its cured by a damper...

What rear shock do you have? Silver bodied ExtremeTec with black spring?

Dont bother changing the spring.....its not just that thats wrong...change it for a Matris or Ohlins unit....Its notable that ExtremeTec make great shock absorbers...for OFF-ROAD vehicles, bikes and buggys...and I've never seen them used on a road bike before..and I now know why..

Did your Matris damper come with a separate alloy block to fit around the ignition key hole in place of the Bimota one? If so...does your steering key lock still work??? I've found that they dont allow you to lock the barrel and steering....which was a fail on the vehicle check list for new bikes
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems like you are working thru the DB6 issues one by one.....as known by others...Steering damper certainly a good addition..on windy days the bike can waver and its cured by a damper...

Dont bother changing the spring.....its not just that thats wrong...change it for a Matris or Ohlins unit....Its notable that ExtremeTec make great shock absorbers...for OFF-ROAD vehicles, bikes and buggys...and I've never seen them used on a road bike before..and I now know why..

Did your Matris damper come with a separate alloy block to fit around the ignition key hole in place of the Bimota one? If so...does your steering key lock still work??? I've found that they dont allow you to lock the barrel and steering....which was a fail on the vehicle check list for new bikes
lobomau

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the photos of the windscreen and steering damper

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zzles4uagk40apa/IMG_20190113_153316.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/reud2p9wfmtmefy/IMG_20190113_162100.jpg

the key works ok
lobomau

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the rear suspension is the extreme tech (silver body, black spring, golden knob, hydraulic spring pre load adjustment).

both compression and rebound damping can be adjusted, but the spring preload adjustment doesn't allow setup for an adequate sag for my weight.
Gavca

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This windscreen looks much nicer!
And the steering damper looks nice too!
👌🏻
Gavca

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:

2bims, in regards to the steering damper preventing from the steering to be locked, is this an issue with all DB6’s with that item from factory? I noticed I haven’t been able to lock the steering on my DB6R.
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What damper have you got on the bike? Is it a red and silver anodised extreme tec with red diamond shaped adjuster? Or is it a later fitted Matris damper?

I.e. 1. below or

2.Below

No. 2 is as they came from the factory on the R models.....you can operate the steering lock with this fitment...BUT...only if the bars are turned to the left....you have to turn bars to the left....then turn key to lock position...push the key in and let it pop back up then turn the rest of the way until it locks....you may have to jiggle the bars a little to locate the locking tab....You can lock the bars if turned to the right also...BUT...Doh!!!...Bimota design....the steering damper blocks removal of the key in this position meaning you'd have to leave the bike with the key in it

I've only ever seen and operated one other DB6 which had the Matris one fitted and that wouldn't lock in either position....the block around the ignition barrel was different ...
lobomau

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is the later fitted Matris. option 1.
The photo shown, is of my DB6.
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2019 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was gavcas comment i was attempting to respond you...
Gavca

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims, mine is option number two, the factory extreme tech red and silver anodized version.
I will try and jiggle with the bars to see if I can find the correct position.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: