Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

YB8 carb model- fuel pump location? Same pump as Yamaha?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Doctor_jim

PostPosted: Thu Mar 21, 2024 10:29 pm    Post subject: YB8 carb model- fuel pump location? Same pump as Yamaha? Reply with quote

Hello to the forum!
Just bought another Bimota, this time a YB8!
The bike has been standing unused for about 15 years, so will need a total recommission and maintenance.
I’ve noticed that the fuel pump has been moved and is mounted on the rear suspension cartridge. That can’t be right, but I can’t find any information or pictures of the original setup.
Can another owner please provide some information about the fuel pump location and how and where it is mounted?
Pictures would surely help!!

Best regards,

Dimi [/b]

Well just one Bimota so far, it's an YB9 SR Very Happy

Ducati 450 Desmo, 900SS, ST2, DS1100
Moto Guzzi V7 Sport, V7 Spezial, v65
Lots of Hondas, BMW's, Triumph etc. Smile
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2024 10:12 am    Post subject: YB8 Reply with quote

I don’t want to discourage, but you’ve not chosen an easy gig there!
The pump is held by a bracket that is bolted to the underside of the frame cross member on the right hand side. The reason somebody has moved it, is that it is difficult to get the hoses from the tank to the pump configured, so that they don’t kink when the tank is dropped back into position, on top of them.

Even if it has done next to no kms, the emulsion tubes in the carbs will be horribly worn. Don’t even think about trying to set it up without replacing tubes and probably needles as well. I run mine with a completely different needle to the original.

Front forks are a bit crude by modern standards, but can be fitted with cartridges. If it has the original Marzocchi shock, that probably wants replacing. The solenoid fuel tap may have packed up due to old fuel/broken wire - now extremely expensive, if you can find one.

It’s tempting to think that it will breathe better with a free flowing air filter - it won’t! Look at the tiny little intake on the exup air box - which gave some momentum to the air before it got to the carbs.

The reason that the bike hasn’t moved for 15 years is most likely that it is difficult to get a YB8 running even nearly as well as an Exup, as the carefully crafted air box of the Yam was ditched by Bimota, in favour of their own crude effort. If you’re prepared to take the motor out to 1040, you can have a belter of a bike, because the extra capacity changes the signal in the carbs and you can also ditch the Exup exhaust.

Good luck!
Doctor_jim

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2024 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the reply!
I will give it a try with a set of new emulsion tubes and a full carb clean up and rebuild. I understand that one must fiddle quite a bit until the bike sort of works. I’ve also noticed that routing the fuel lines is kind of a puzzle to solve, avoiding getting them kinked is a bit difficult .
I’ll see what I can get and post again if needed!

Best regards,

Jim

Well just one Bimota so far, it's an YB9 SR Very Happy

Ducati 450 Desmo, 900SS, ST2, DS1100
Moto Guzzi V7 Sport, V7 Spezial, v65
Lots of Hondas, BMW's, Triumph etc. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> YB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: