Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Db5 gauges melting
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pablo DB5

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:26 pm    Post subject: Db5 gauges melting Reply with quote

I am opening a new topic, I do not know if it is only my byke been stored for so long or it is happening to all db5 series.

The gauges, its black plastic housing is melting!! You can not even touch it with your fingers as your fingerprints get impressed.... Sad

Has someone experienced the same? Or it is only mine? Is there any fix like a carbon housing or similar? Everything else on the byke remains mint but the gauges look crap and it is one of the first things you see when you sit on the byke.......
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which clocks are they??...koso with black tacho or white face central tacho....sounds like a short on the electrics....ive had both types but no melting on either...
Pablo DB5

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is the white face central tacho, the first one. Everything works perfect, tacho, speed, internal lights....etc, it is only the external housing it is sticky...... like when you put acid on a plastic..... Sad , that is way I said melting....but not melting better word would be maybe degradating, I will try to post a picture.
Gavca

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pablo, I am not sure why, but sometimes plastic and rubber when stored for a ling time get sticky. I have a Bose headset that I left a couple years inside its own carying case and when I opened it to use all plastic and rubber parts not painted were sticky.
I looked online at the time for some “do it yourself / life hacks” tips but nothing really worked.
Some of the recent bimota models use Koso gauges. They are not too expensive and are easy to find online. If yours just need the back of it maybe an email to the factory could give you an alternative otherwise you could just buy a new one and use the necessary parts. The Bimota ones seems exactly the same as the aftermarket models except for the Bimota logo on the dash.
Pablo DB5

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gavca wrote:
Pablo, I am not sure why, but sometimes plastic and rubber when stored for a ling time get sticky. I have a Bose headset that I left a couple years inside its own carying case and when I opened it to use all plastic and rubber parts not painted were sticky.
I looked online at the time for some “do it yourself / life hacks” tips but nothing really worked.
Some of the recent bimota models use Koso gauges. They are not too expensive and are easy to find online. If yours just need the back of it maybe an email to the factory could give you an alternative otherwise you could just buy a new one and use the necessary parts. The Bimota ones seems exactly the same as the aftermarket models except for the Bimota logo on the dash.

Maybe the plastic quality is not very good........ I would like to keep the byke as much original as possible, I have a friend with a 3D printer so we may try to disassemble the housing and try to make a replica Very Happy

If it works I will let you know.

Thanks!
vort28

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Pablo

I think this is what you are saying ?

The large white face dials have a ' soft touch ' rubber coating on them . This does turn to a sticky glue type film over time .
The film can be removed with Acetone/nail vanish remover or similar . You will just be left with the black plastic bezel. I guess there are places that could re-apply the soft touch coating but I left mine black plastic.
Pablo DB5

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vort28 wrote:
Hi Pablo

I think this is what you are saying ?

The large white face dials have a ' soft touch ' rubber coating on them . This does turn to a sticky glue type film over time .
The film can be removed with Acetone/nail vanish remover or similar . You will just be left with the black plastic bezel. I guess there are places that could re-apply the soft touch coating but I left mine black plastic.

Exactly!! Very Happy

I did not want to remove the coating as I did not know what I would find below......or if I would destroy the housing.....

I will try to remove the coating but I believe I will delete the icons of fuel/light....etc
vort28

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2019 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to save the icons on the second one I did , but it is very difficult and the icons are not in very good shape.
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As vort says...acetone/nail varnish remover.... Use cotton wool balls... Lots of them....when the sticky doesnt rub off anymore....new cotton wool ball with more acetone...only one other bike used the same clocks.... The ducati 900mhe made in 1999... But they encased the plastic with a chromed metal surround
Pablo DB5

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
As vort says...acetone/nail varnish remover.... Use cotton wool balls... Lots of them....when the sticky doesnt rub off anymore....new cotton wool ball with more acetone...only one other bike used the same clocks.... The ducati 900mhe made in 1999... But they encased the plastic with a chromed metal surround

Very good to know, thanks!

I am very reluctant to do it, I do not want to ruin them more than they are, but I know I have to do it..................

Being the byke mint as it is, is a pity having the gauages like they are Sad
lobomau

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought my DB6 few months ago, in Spain.
The dashboard was also very sticky.
after few days of fresh air, sunlight, .... now it's ok.
quikduk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2019 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent my old white faced gauge group to a fellow member here in Italy as he needed them and I have a TransLogic dash.

I cleaned off that factory coating before mailing it to him and it took a combination of acetone and GooGone but it came out nicely.
Pablo DB5

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

quikduk wrote:
I sent my old white faced gauge group to a fellow member here in Italy as he needed them and I have a TransLogic dash.

I cleaned off that factory coating before mailing it to him and it took a combination of acetone and GooGone but it came out nicely.

Good to know, thanks!

The translogic dash is awesome!! it was an easy fit??

Pablo
Pablo DB5

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My gauges are like new now, finally I used some gasoline to remove all the rubber coating with no problems, I have even been able not to delete the logos of fuel/lights/indicator/oil Very Happy
Really happy as it was the only thing in my bimota that looked crap.......

thanks for your advices.
brian

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pablo DB5 wrote:
My gauges are like new now, finally I used some gasoline to remove all the rubber coating with no problems, I have even been able not to delete the logos of fuel/lights/indicator/oil Very Happy
Really happy as it was the only thing in my bimota that looked crap.......

thanks for your advices.

Make sure you clean the gasoline off really well, otherwise it will eat the plastic
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: