Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

db7 won't start after fitting new exhaust
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob Taylor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:52 pm    Post subject: db7 won't start after fitting new exhaust Reply with quote

Gents - any ideas - Just fitted my motoscorse exhaust and swapped the lambda sensor over - now its won't start. I didn't;t trey to start it before changing the exhaust - could I have damaged the lambda sensor connector? It sounds ike the pump coming on vv quietly but no click for starter motor and an attempt to fire. The needle goes all the way round and back on the clock. All help gratefully received. Cheer. Bob
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the motor turning at all? Starter motor trying to engage and crank the engine?...Is there a click click from the starter solenoid?

If no on all questions and you didn't start if before you fitted the new pipes...when was it last started? sounds like a battery below its par...yeh yeh...the lights come on...the horn sounds all seems good etc...but...if the Battery isn't 95% good or better it wont even try to start the bike or engage the starter....Is there Fuel? Have you pulled the clutch in before pressing the starter button?...If a battery reads 12.8 on battery charger this may not be enough.....them duc engines and ECU's will only operate on very good condition batteries....
Bob Taylor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. Thanks - Yeah battery reads about 12.7. No cranking. Lights seemed ok, horn ok. Will try another battery - but I did try with a jumper box but maybe I didn't quite have it right. Will try it and see what happens. Pulled clutch in etc. Thanks.
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the peripherals will always work unless theres no battery at all....but it wont crank at 12.7 …...How long since it last was started?....I've jump started some ducati engines from a BMW car with the car running and being revv'd sometimes....they really do need that much current to get them going...All Big twins do
Bob Taylor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I'll try it this week if I get a chance. Exhaust looks great - but no idea what it sounds like lol. Cheers.
arsenic

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it’s silly but it happened to me so.... check if you let a gear on ....
Very Happy
Bob Taylor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Will check again. Cheers
Bob Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody know there the handlebar switch gear came from on the db7? Going to work on it this weekend and might just need a few new parts. Thanks.
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Bob....I'm sure others will be along...you know who you are Vort.....I think youre barking down the wrong tree.....and maybe you've not fully checked the battery or starter motor yet.....Picture would help but I bet you if you walked into a local Ducati dealership you would find several bikes fitted with the same switchgear....Italy is a big manufacturer of plastics...the worlds largest producer of panels for off road bikes....for example....and even the big Jap 4 use a lot of switchgear sourced from Italy....a starting point would be Ducati 1098.....so check that on ebay….and see if pictures of used ones look the same.

I did have an issue with one of my bikes ...Italian Bimota with Ducati engine and electrics...where one summer it ran perfect...then come spring time...nothing.....took me a year or so to track and source the issue...and yup...it was the start button switchgear....a break in the line somewhere....so I wired in a new start button....Have you tried switching everything on.....as in turn the key on....track down the starter solenoid and using insulated pliers....."bridge" the 2 no. brass contact points....you may have to remove the plastic clip on housing first to reveal them....if the bike then cranks over....yup...its the start button...You WONT have to touch the start button....just with ignition on and crossing the terminals it should crank.....this means yes starter is fine but connection via switch is not....The Ducati 1098 and 1198 did have a recall issue on the starter motors.....hopefully its not that...as they had a bad batch of them...the test to check was to leave the original battery in....switch on...and connect a car battery direct to the starter motor terminal and earth the other end to the bike....if it didn't start or crank...faulty starter motor....its happened to someone on here with a DB7....he changed everything....coils, relays, battery etc and the starter motor...before identifying the problem...Also, is the starter solenoid OK...?? One day they can be fine...the next no....and thats it for them...they stick either open and constantly crank your engine even when running...or stick closed and do nothing...again...on my DB5R I've had one of these go AWOL on me....Ducati dealers have replacements....I found my issue by swapping out parts from my DB6R to the DB5R until it worked...and same back again on the DB6R from my DB5R...Its handy to have a spare bike sharing the same engine/electrics....and these bikes are same era as yours...2008 onwards...

I wouldn't mind "betting" that the starter switch is a Domino like this one

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Universal-Domino-Starter-Switch-22mm-Fits-KTM-EXC-125-EGS-125-300/131571132937?epid=1749191924&hash=item1ea2402a09:g:TVoAAOSwPcVVwMkU:rk:7:pf:0

That switch also operates your lap timer and reset modes for the service interval as well as other things...wiring Beyond the switch can be convoluted....as its linked to sidestand switch also and clutch switch...have you checked these?...Especially the clutch switch...you might be pulling the clutch but if the switch is AWOL it still wont crank
Bob Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. Thanks for the help - very useful. I have tried the starter motor direct on the motor itself - it turned. But last night I was aa bit too busy so thatr's all I did. Will by-pass the startersolenoid at the weekend - see if that's a goer - then as you say progress from there. Just seems funny that it was laid up working and now not. I'm on the case just need to get a little more motivated. The weather up here is not helping. But would like to hear the new exhaust so will be on the case asap. Thanks again for your help - and yes the kill switch looks very much like the one you sent. Will let you know the progress if any lol. Cheers.
Bob Taylor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starter solenoid good - but I have 10 volts at the connector going into the solenoid - thought it should be zero until the starter was pressed?? Any ideas?? Thanks. Bob.
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick note.....If you were going to buy one of those Domino start/kill buttons....be sure to trace yours through first cable wise up to the connecter...disconnect and check wiring...Not for bad wiring...but because bimota use the start button for setting/resetting the lap timer and service intervals on the KOSO clocks....they wired the ruddy thing different and I'm pretty sure theres one extra wire instead of 4 in there...one doubled back on itself and one left blank...so it wouldn't be a atraightforward plug and play...but thats DB5 and Db6...so best check if also DB7 coz the 5 and 6 share koso clocks and functions on the start button...

When you said you wired the starter motor straight and it turned...what did you wire to and connect with?
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2019 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob Taylor wrote:
Starter solenoid good - but I have 10 volts at the connector going into the solenoid - thought it should be zero until the starter was pressed?? Any ideas?? Thanks. Bob.

I get a bit lost in translation with your replies sometimes....and not always answers to all my quessies….When you starter solenoid good...what do you mean? Did you turn ignition on and cross/bridge the 2 brass threaded and nutted terminals with insulated pliers and the starter motor itself cranked the engine?
Bob Taylor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry. Yes. I jumped the the solenoid by bridging across it.. The two small wires that go to the side of the solenoid have constantly 10 volts coming where upstream When i disconnect the little wires and put 113 volts through them to the solenoid the bike turns over ok. So I guess I need to trace why the 10 vets are constantly going to the solenoid??? Any help very gratefully received. Many thanks.
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd try tracing earth tags...usually on the engine....LHS....theres a bolt in the cylinder head at the base usually///with several wires going to it with poor quality earth tags....certainly not brass....pull the bolt and check and clean up...its steel going into alloy so you can get corrosion from differing materials being connected.....Bikes...especially Italian ones....do suffer from the cold and being stood over winter.....and yup...you can put them away all fine...3 months later pull them out and nothing.....corrosion can build up in the wires which is a bugger to trace...I ended up wiring in a new starter/kill switch on one of mine...and wiring it direct to those two small connected wires on the starter solenoid with one wire going direct from here to the battery positive...and this sorted my issue....I did leave the old kill switch in place and connected...as it was wired weird...due to things I've said before...thus I just wired in the 2 wires of the starter button...evidently I had a break in the wires in the loom somewhere.....so Bridging the solenoid buttons...despite the sparks....caused the bike to crank??...Did you do it enough to actually start the bike??

I also have to ask...now that I remember...you dont have any sort of alarm on the bike do you or immobiliser????...Bimota never fitted one but some people put them on....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: