Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Weather required when selling a motorcycle
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
quikduk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:28 pm    Post subject: Weather required when selling a motorcycle Reply with quote

So to elaborate on what I hinted at in my response to 2bims and my fork seal post...

Several years ago I sold my beloved '93 750SS to a dear friend and former colleague. It was a bitter sweet deal but I was determined to give it my all.

I thoroughly cleaned and polished everything from the bike to the Italian made front and rear stands and then realized that something with the FCR flatslide carburetors was a bit off.

I pulled them and cleaned them, eventually a total of 4 times until I found the culprit which was a bad slide roller pair, which I replaced. It was then time for a road test and a full tank of race fuel (just because).
quikduk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I was about to head off, my wife reminded me that a storm was coming in later in the afternoon with definite snow in the forecast, something like 10 inches or so.

BTW, our house is at 4,172 feet above sea level at the top of the Cajon Pass on I-15.

Anyway, I said OK and off I went. I picked up fuel and then decided to take old Route 66 through Silver Lakes and Grass Valley. All was going well until an errant Ford Mustang Cobra challenged me...soooo bye bye Mustang.

I was having a blast flying low along the road until I eventually realized that clouds were forming...and where was I anyway? I was...er...a bit lost...so I kept riding until I found a recognizable place

2 hours later I was at Highway 58 which runs between Barstow and Mojave.

WHOOPS!
quikduk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew I was halfway between Highway 395 that runs on the East side of the Sierra Nevada mountains and Barstow. Both were about a 45 minute ride...and the wind was now howling with gusts over 40 mph.

I decided to head West towards 395 as that intersection, Kramer Junction, was about 45 minutes from my house.

I got there eventually by tailgating a semi truck and trailer to block the wind somewhat and called my wife...who was less that pleased at my error and more than a bit concerned as it was NOW SNOWING...HARD.

I said "sorry" and headed home.

Last edited by quikduk on Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
quikduk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So now I am bombing along southbound on 395. When I get to the Adelanto City limits and it is raining...sideways.

5 miles further I get to the Victorville City limits...and it is snowing.

5 miles further and I get to Hesperia City limits at the intersection of Phelan Road and 395 and it is snowing so hard you can't see 50 yards in front of you...and the Uni pod filters on the FCRs are starting to clog with blowing snow.

I smack them to get rid of the snow and turn the joined idle screw up just a bit.

There was literally no traffic due to road closures. 395 is open in front of me and I am about 7 miles from home, sitting at a stop light...in a friggin' blizzard!

Nice.
quikduk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So here I sit waiting for the light to change and all you can hear is the "whacka-whacka-whacka" of the flat slides and the sweet idle note of the twin carbon MotoStile cans...when a Toyota Camry pulls along side of me.

The driver and his wife are dumbfounded with their mouths wide open as they see this lone motorcyclist on a red Ducati covered in snow from head to foot. Half of the bike is now white with snow yet the rider is calm (I was).

The driver rolls down his window and sheepishly asks me "Are you OK and do you need a ride?"

"No" I answer.

"But...do you realize it is snowing?"

"Is that what this is?" I answer and then follow up with "If you don't mind, please give me a long head start and merge behind me at a distance as I don't have my tire chains with me."

He says OK and then rolls his window up while shaking his head in disbelief.
quikduk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I started off when the light turned green and carefully and slowly made my way through the hills and up to the I-15 freeway frontage road that leads to my neighborhood as the freeway was closed.

The snow is now a complete blizzard and I am the sole vehicle moving through it at the moment. I made my way up the frontage road to my neighborhood and through the low hills that lead to my street.

There is almost a foot of snow on the road, I can't see the road or edges at all and there are kids playing outside in the new snow and as I roll by, they wave...but stare at me too.

All you hear is the booming of the exhaust as I continue to thread my way back to my house.

Last edited by quikduk on Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
quikduk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Upon arrival at the top of my driveway, I can see the gate open as well as the garage. My wife heard me coming through the neighborhood and had prepared for my arrival.

As I slowly roll down to the garage, she is standing inside the garage, arms crossed and shaking her head. She taps me on the helmet as I roll in, says something to the effect of "You're an idiot" and "Glad you made it home safely".

All in all, a somewhat uneventful last trip...lol.

Now to clean it all up again prior to delivery the next day (sniff sniff).

"Warmest" Regards to all!
yb11reno

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, what a story. You’re a better man than me. I would’ve called for a ride.
I didn’t realize you were in Victorville. I was making a monthly trip to fort Irwin until last sept. If I happen that way again, it would be fun to meet up.
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Duc......I have along cabled knurled adjuster on my Keihin Flatslides....as when warm I have to turn them down or else its booming at 2500revs at traffic lights.....just a quick reach down and turn the adjuster...nice to have.

I used to just have a bike license and a bike...no car or license to drive one...Until...similar snow story......drudging home through slush and snow and black ice through late night traffic back from college one night...on my £200 RD400E bought off my brother...Back rear disc had aeroquip steel braided hose...front disc had many years old original rubber brake line...which swelled like a snake swallowing a horse when you pulled the brake on..back would lock up in an instant if an asthmatic mouse coughed on the pedal.....Thus I rode him using legs as stabilisers all the way home....Part way through the lights died....no worries...pulled over popped off the LHS side panel which is just a push fit...opened up the fuse box and looked for the blown glass fuse....found it...unfurled a section of Kit Kat silver foil that I kept in there...wrapped the glass up around the contacts and bobbed it back in

2 more fuses went on the way home...by now...all the glass fuses were wrapped in Kit Kat wrapped...so at least I thought no more stops then....

Was ill prepared for the weather...jeans glued to my legs and frozen solid....jacket now sodden and leaking...and cheapo ski gloves...which were cheaper than bike gloves also wet through.....I was so depressed I though...I'm going to get a Chinese takeaway...Beef curry and fried rice ...get it home...chuck bike in garage and strip and dry and change clothes....I was so so happy to be home...warm but dry clothes and my fav chinky….plate out....fork out...popped the cardboard lid on the first container....WTF????????????...some sort of squid....baby octopus and pink things with eyes staring at me...ARRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH.....

Still living with the folks and no home phone and pre mobile days...so couldn't phone Chinese....I was that ANGRY I threw all my wet gear back on...what a bugger...ruddy hard to get wet stuff off..but has anyone tried getting wet stuff ON again????...dragged the hunk of poo RD out of the garage and back with the muck they incorrectly gave me to the Chinese....then.... calm down...and kindly request the order that I placed and paid for...have to remember to be nice when you order so as not to have any "special sauce" added by the chef out of eyes view....That was hard....Have to admit....when I got back the 2nd time and stripped wet and back to dry...not only did the curry not cure my woes and frustration...as stupid as I'd been to revisit.....a light bulb moment came...."Buy a car".....or at least pass test and "buy a car"...…..Snow and bikes....never the twain shall meet...easy on throttle always...and never touch brakes...and easy easy round bends with leg out Moto GP style…..

Last edited by 2bims on Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:38 pm; edited 2 times in total
Gavin944888

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent...excellent...enjoy the safety of home.

Ice is really only good in a drink

Regards
Gavin

Cagiva Elefant 888/955 & adventure sidecar
Cagiva Elefant 999r engined
Cagiva BIMOTA Motard Concept
BIMOTA DB9 (with DB11 rear-end)
BIMOTA DB7-11 VLX MULE (build coming to an end)
BIMOTA DB11 VLX Supercharger
quikduk

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack, anytime you or others are around, you are welcome to stop by.

2Bims, great story. I only had motorcycles for 5 years before I eventually bought a truck. Boy the heater and dryness was nice in inclement weather. I also have 3 other snow/rain related motorcycle stories to relate later that are equally as stupid yet amusing to hear.

I also agree re: the octopus. YUCK! I like orange chicken and beef with broccoli preferably. Nothing staring at me please.

Gavin, EXACTLY! Ice belongs in a drink, preferably alcoholic too!
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gavin944888 wrote:
Excellent...excellent...enjoy the safety of home.

Ice is really only good in a drink

Regards
Gavin

Hi Gav....I have pictures CC'd
brian

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great story quickduc! I like that you broke it up into separate posts too. I struggle to get interested in looooong posts (sorry 2bims Laughing ), so the separate posts kept me interested
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brian wrote:
Great story quickduc! I like that you broke it up into separate posts too. I struggle to get interested in looooong posts (sorry 2bims Laughing ), so the separate posts kept me interested

Right...thats it....proper throwing my toys out the pram now.... Shocked Very Happy Wink I have a habit of highlighting and clicking copy part way thru posts before submitting...coz...heavens above...computer freezes sometime or internet down...and it bugs the heck out of me that I;ve forgotten what I wrote otherwise,..and a 2nd dig at it is never the same or as good as the first
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brian wrote:

I think also like me its coz you suffer from Attention Deff....Oh look...a cat....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: