Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

SB6R Footpeg locking nut
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
andybim

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject: SB6R Footpeg locking nut Reply with quote

Hi,

The large diameter locking nut that holds the gear lever in place has split Sad

Does anybody know where I can source a replacement?

Thanks
Andy
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The alloy thingie...as I call them....that tightens onto an internal alloy sleeve...and the footpeg goes through these and the gear lever and is held by a bolt through the back of the footpeg hanger??
andybim

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 5:23 pm    Post subject: Diagram will help Reply with quote

Number 6

I searched on the forum and found an old post about their one splitting but they were going to make a new stainless rather than alloy one.

I don't have the facilities to make one so was wondering if anybody else had replaced them and where from.

Thanks
Andy
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup...thats the puppy...Number 6....which threads onto the alloy sleeve Number 7....and the countersunk taper head bolt NUmber 12 screwsinto the footpeg part No. 1A

Check out this post of mine./////page 3....scroll down until you see the stainless steel sink drainer and shiney Bimota pieces on top of it.....top left is 3 No. alloy ring nuts...I think I still have two of them left......you've be best stripping yours down first....and checking diameters etc and I would see if these are the same...they are Bimota...but we all know bimota...things change sometimes just coz they did....

http://www.bimotaforum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?t=5610&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=30
andybim

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:42 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Thanks 2bims!

I will strip it down and measure it up.

Andy
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2019 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll find my bits and do likewise and post here....I've never had one crack or break.....but do have spares....its basically there to "lock" the footpeg in place so that doesnt rotate....yet still allow free movement of the "twiddly" bit that either attaches to the rose swivel joint on the engine gear change push rod...or the rear brake master plunger on the other side...as theres the same arrangement there also...the countersunk bolt on the other side holding the footpeg will be VERY tightly secured......best to soak in WD40 as you can...leave overnight....use a socket allen key with ratchet properly pushed into the back....all the way home...and leave the hanger on the bike...as it will take some effort to loosen it from the footpeg.....maybe less so with yours if the lockring is cracked.....DONT use an allen key....they bend and IF it slips out then it could burr up the socket and make it VERY difficult to remove....and...of course...its a special bolt...and ….no...I dont have any spare ones of those....and neither does BCP...I'LL THROW THE VERNIERS OVER MINE AND POST UP HERE the findings...soz for caps....fat fingers....
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres the locknut part 6 with internal dia and external width measure on the flats.....mine is a little marked on one of the flats.....they are a bugger to tighten when in-situ....due to being slightly recessed and so thin....basically you have to dig out an old Raleigh bicycle multi flat took one does all spanner

I also have a spare alloy turned bush part no 7...external dia 22mm...internal 18mm...total length28mm...outer ring dia 30mm...let me know

This is the very last one of these that I have...bush or lockring

I have other lock rings but these are 19mm internal dia...27mm width on the outer flats....and 4mm thick....
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've checked the above on a YB9 and Vdue with the same footpegs and it seems to fit the bill....
brian

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These would be very fiddly bits to make and probably expensive to have reproduced if you had to have them made by a machine shop
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brian wrote:
These would be very fiddly bits to make and probably expensive to have reproduced if you had to have them made by a machine shop

Yeh...go on Brian....Big up the price....way to go...The bush itself is also milled from alloy as is the lock nut.....in fact the whole footpeg, hanger, gear brake lever and twiddly bits that connect are all ruddy one off Bimota pieces...but very nice....
brian

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
brian wrote:

Yeh...go on Brian....Big up the price....way to go...The bush itself is also milled from alloy as is the lock nut.....in fact the whole footpeg, hanger, gear brake lever and twiddly bits that connect are all ruddy one off Bimota pieces...but very nice....

I expect a commission if you get a premium price for them Wink Laughing
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might not be doing myself any favours here...but Paolo of BCP has 33 of them...But....he hasn't put a price on them...

http://www.bimotaclassicparts.com/en/ricerca?controller=search&orderby=position&orderway=desc&search_query=500182050&submit_search=

He doesnt have any of the bushes or securing bolts that go through the back though

And...he has no gear or brake levers either...gulp....so thats DB2/3/4/SB6/7, YB4/5/6/7/8/9/10/11.....Gulp gulp Shocked
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brian wrote:
2bims wrote:
brian wrote:

I expect a commission if you get a premium price for them Wink Laughing

You'll get something all right....dont worry though...after the initial shock and pain you'll grow to like it...….. Shocked
andybim

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:50 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks 2bims!

Brian, the nuts would be easy to knock up if I had a lathe, would do one long bar and then part off each nut. Oh and thanks for knocking up the price Smile

Had a quick look this evening, it's very tight between the bolt and the swinging arm don't think I will be able to get a socket in there. So may have to remove the hanger unless I can compress the suspension enough.

Andy
brian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2019 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: Thanks Reply with quote

andybim wrote:
Thanks 2bims!

Brian, the nuts would be easy to knock up if I had a lathe, would do one long bar and then part off each nut. Oh and thanks for knocking up the price Smile

Yes but these ones were made by Mario in the Bimota factory wearing his red overalls, before Luigi built the bike entirely by himself wearing HIS red overalls. Cool Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: