Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB4 Headlamp
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dougieboxer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject: DB4 Headlamp Reply with quote

Hi

I need a UK headlamp for a DB4. Assuming these are impossible to find, is it shared with another bike?

Thanks
Doug
vort28

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes , Bimota Vdue Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
dougieboxer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might laugh, but my friend has actually got a V-due, perhaps I should carefully remove it and he might not notice....
dougieboxer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might laugh, but my friend has actually got a V-due, perhaps I should carefully remove it and he might not notice....
dougieboxer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vort28

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chances are his Vdue ain't got a UK spec light either.
brian

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also DB3 Mantra Laughing
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So So many helpful people on here.....MZ scorpion also uses the same size headlight....as do FZR400RR Yammies…..may have to play with a few simple wires though

Question is though...why do you need one? If the bike...which all DB4's are...is over ten years old you are allowed to put tape on the headlight to erase the beam that kicks up to the right.....Its only an MSVA test that doesnt allow tape on the headlight lens....but those are only for bikes less than 10 years old that dont have a eurococ.

Its likely all headlights you may find are for Europe and America...and all kick to the Right....I do know of a unit in Australia that came from a japanese import DB3/DB4...Maybe that kicks up to the left and not the right as they drive on the correct side of the road like we do
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh...try "introducing" yourself also...apparently its called "netiquette" ...you've just joined today...and only because you need something...fill in your profile of county or country and interests and hobbies...that way we know where you are...for sending things or targeting sellers closer to you...and whether you know one end of the spanner from another....We aren't a main dealer or supported in anyway by any factory that was....just passionate about the bikes and like to help Laughing Shocked
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh...try "introducing" yourself also...apparently its called "netiquette" ...you've just joined today...and only because you need something...fill in your profile of county or country and interests and hobbies...that way we know where you are...for sending things or targeting sellers closer to you...and whether you know one end of the spanner from another....We aren't a main dealer or supported in anyway by any factory that was....just passionate about the bikes and like to help Laughing Shocked
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So So many helpful people on here.....MZ scorpion also uses the same size headlight....as do FZR400RR Yammies…..may have to play with a few simple wires though

Question is though...why do you need one? If the bike...which all DB4's are...is over ten years old you are allowed to put tape on the headlight to erase the beam that kicks up to the right.....Its only an MSVA test that doesnt allow tape on the headlight lens....but those are only for bikes less than 10 years old that dont have a eurococ.

Its likely all headlights you may find are for Europe and America...and all kick to the Right....I do know of a unit in Australia that came from a japanese import DB3/DB4...Maybe that kicks up to the left and not the right as they drive on the correct side of the road like we do
dougieboxer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:

Thanks for your advice 2bims and for taking the time to reply. Apologies for the lack of intro, I'm not the fastest around a keyboard but will update my profile when I get a spare minute!!

I've had my DB4 for a couple of years - it's actually a DB4'S' French market bike - apparently 1 of only 10 made, but it's really just some fancy graphics and a number on the tail unit! I'll post some pics shortly.

2 MOT testers have failed it so far on the headlamp beam, saying they've tightened up the test this year but I've always just taped them up! Either I find a more friendly tester or I switch the headlamp, but I could do without the hassle each year. ZXR400 lens looks very similar too.
dougieboxer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:

Thanks for your advice 2bims and for taking the time to reply. Apologies for the lack of intro, I'm not the fastest around a keyboard but will update my profile when I get a spare minute!!

I've had my DB4 for a couple of years - it's actually a DB4'S' French market bike - apparently 1 of only 10 made, but it's really just some fancy graphics and a number on the tail unit! I'll post some pics shortly.

2 MOT testers have failed it so far on the headlamp beam, saying they've tightened up the test this year but I've always just taped them up! Either I find a more friendly tester or I switch the headlamp, but I could do without the hassle each year. ZXR400 lens looks very similar too.
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats much better....its appreciated.....just not having a great time meself...family woes etc.

Anyhow...yup...find a friendlier tester....To be honest...the deflector beam on those "sealed beam" units are a bit of a pig to deflect and blank out the kick up.....When I have time I'll show you the "sheepdip" yellow YB9SR that I recently took for its first UK MOT....my mot man is very friendly but if pushed would stick by the rules....taping is fine....nothing against it maybe just an "advisory.."...But...the tape has to blank out the kick up....I ran the YB9 at pitch black of night against a fence panel with the unit...and was staggered where I had to apply tape to blank out the kick up...all will be clear when I post a picture....because of the internal dome projector beam....you need to blank mirror image on the horizontal plane to blank out the kick up....took me ages to get it right....using my hand first against the front lens to see where the tape had to be ….Flat beam is now the euro accepted set-up...with no kick up to the left or right.....so one headlight suits all markets...its mad anyhow due to bikes leaning into corners whether they kick up or not.....which is why they went to flat beam....Rules are on-line...and yup...headlight deflectors, tape etc is fine...for vehicles over 10 years old....You might buy ten different units and they all do the same....I have an old DB2 headlight with Yamaha logo on the front thats a UK unit.....but isn't the projector beam twin set-up like on a DB4....it kicks to the left as it should....One main bulb thats twin filament...and one side light bulb below.....I upgraded it to a twin beam unit from a Vdue...the body and fixing mounts etc etc etc are all the same...its literally unbolt old unit....pull off spade connectors and bolt on new unit and connect up...testing to see what does what with the switchgear on the LHS...

Or....get a bike friendly MOT man that values your custom unlike your present one....I know which I choose...If you tell me a town and county where you live.....thats all...I'd post up on Practical Sportsbikes Facebook page for you and ask for recommendations as to "bike friendly MOT testers"....My mot man has only one rule....if PC plod pulls me over for a small reg plate...or loud exhaust...or god forbid a headlight kicking up to the right...I DO NOT say "my mot man passed it and it was like that at the time"......I value his friendship...hes bought the odd bike from me....and his casual approach to MOT's and his "interpretation" of the rules as there is a lot of that written in the rules
brian

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB3 headlight in Australia.... different to my DB4 though

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/BIMOTA-DB3-93-94-HEADLIGHT-GENUINE-LOT45-45C3778/232891468863?hash=item363969cc3f:g:TVwAAOSwsddbdLtm:rk:29:pf:0&LH_ItemCondition=4
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: