Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

SB8R aftermarket parts?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nflpats

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 1:19 am    Post subject: SB8R aftermarket parts? Reply with quote

I just bought a SB8R-S and it should arrive in 2 weeks. It has 1300 miles, fuel trimmer, some special aluminum bolts, and modified stock exhaust. I would like to know if there is anything else aftermarket available for this bike? Which air filter fits this bike?

Also, if there is anything I need to know about this bike (mechanic, problems, ect) please let me know. Any information would be great.
Pompey

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy if this is your first Bimota i would'nt jump at buying any aftermarket equipment yet. They are exotic enough for the most part. I would concentrate on suspension overhaul if needed, the right rubber and set up to enjoy it. They are going up in price at the moment but the stock bikes of any mark will command a higher price for both collectors and enthusiasts alike. A good example of how not to do it is the SB8 shown on another link that has been heavily modified. To the maker ( and myself ) it looks fine, however, like a cover record of a favourite tune, it never quite rings true to the original...Have fun! Wink
zombie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The TPS is a sensitive area, if bike is not running right, remember to check it is reading correctly. The connector is in a bit of a vulnerable area close to the rear shock.

Battery is quite inaccessible, if you are getting the bike from a shop insist on a new battery Wink

The throttle is a little jerky at low rpm so set it to idle at 1,500 at least.

Its a really great bike and for some reason there are lots of spares around ebay.

Good luck
Zombie
nflpats

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the input. Every bit is helpful. I do own a DB7 and no problems as of 6,000 miles so far. Well, with the exception of the fuel light. Bimota in Italy is working with me to fix this.

As far as the TPS. What exactly is this? Will the fuel trimmer help resolve any issue stemming from the TPS. I live near Power Commander. Im sure they can re-map the bike if needed. Let me know more about the TPS. Also, what air filter is used?
zombie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 31, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A DB7? Are you dealing with Alessandro in Italy to fix your problem with fuel sender?

The TPS is the Throttle position sensor. Typical symptom of problems is that it runs poorly on closed and barely open, but runs much better when the throttle is opened.

It could be what you are calling a trimmer, but I admit I have not come across a fuel trimmer ! I often thought of adding a trimmer ie. variable resister inline with the TPS output, then it could adjust it on-the-fly e.g. on a dyno. The TPS is really awkward to fiddle with, it always seems to move out of adjustment when you tighten it up. Maybe someone else came up with this idea of having a trimmer.

The filter is just foam with oil. The RS has a proper ram-air system with sealed air box.

I have heard a PC does help with the 8R because its map is a bit lean, but it would be a mistake to fit one to sort out a TPS issue. Also the ECU is a marelli unit which in theory should allow you to adjust the fuelling and do other wonderful things, if only you had the software!

I am sure you won't have any probs with the TPS, I just mentioned it because on many bikes its the last thing you look at if your bike was running a bit off, whereas on the SB8s it would be the first thing I would look at.

This is partly because of the why bimota wired it in. Normally with a TPS you get small changes with small throttle openings and big changes with wide throttle openings - ie gradual increase when at small throttle. For some reason its exactly the other way around on the SB8s which makes the small throttle opening setup critical. Why do it this way around? Maybe something to do with its racing pedigree?

It is certainly an exciting bike to ride so I won't be knocking how they did it.

All the best
Zombie
nflpats

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am dealing with Alessandro. I got tired of waiting over 1 year for warranty from my dealer. Like they say, if you want something done-do it yourself. He is very helpful.

I will keep in mind the TPS issue. Hopefully it won't cause me problems. I however did find this website that remaps the SB8R which makes it far more manageable. Here is the link: http://www.factorypro.com/prod_pages/prodbim_SB8r.html
GeeKay

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not sure of your location (UK or USA?) but Factory Pro can only modify the fuelling if they have the bike - I already asked!
If you are in the UK, try here

http://www.chrisgunster.co.uk/

booking mine in for a Power Commander fitting and a custom fuel map
installing which cures the poor fuelling that blights the SB8R's - total cost is around £570.

HTH

Garry.
nflpats

PostPosted: Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sent them an email today. I live in Las Vegas and wouldn't mind riding the bike 10 hours to get there:)
GeeKay

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand - it's a little further to Grimsby Very Happy
keep us updated on how it goes.
nflpats

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a reply from Factory Pro. He said he can't remap the ECU anymore however he said he could install a PC and tune it. I will stop by Dyno Jet myself since they are in Las Vegas. I had them tune my MV several years ago. Does anyone know of any aftermarket exhausts that I can buy?
GeeKay

PostPosted: Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't seen any aftermarket systems for sale for ages - I know of one SB8R fitted with an Arrow system but they dont list it on their website anymore. Plenty of new standard systems for sale on German ebay though.
zombie

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi,
Just figured out what a fuel trimmer might be in UK language. Is it is a fuel pressure regulator. This would be useful to the to ensure that the SB8RS weber based pump is behaving itself and delivering the right fuel pressure.

All the best
Zombie
nflpats

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am waiting for the delivery of my SB8R-S which should arrive sometime next week. I probably will end up riding this bike more than the DB7. I dont know why but I like the look of older retro looking bikes. Even after 10 years it still looks better than most bikes today. I absolutely love the ram air scoops.
mortsta

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"A good example of how not to do it is the SB8 shown on another link that has been heavily modified."
do you mean mine???
TPS ha...I'd been wondering about this for some time-was looking at it just yesterday.My bike when it gets hot runs like a dog at idle and mostly just stalls....how do you set the TPS?
We got rid of the magnetti system and put in a TLS computer-changed i thinki 4 sensors from memory-the barometric, the oxygen, v=cant remeber the others...worked pretty good though?!

gotta say, i reckon that bloke at biomta is fckn useless and unhelpful...
zombie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morsta are you the mystery owner of the SB8R on Bike Trader?

Adjusting the TPS is quite easy.

The TPS is mounted on the rear pot. It has two mini hex screws locking it into position. Basically you twist it clockwise or anticlockwise to move it into its new position. Then lock it off.

There is a special instrument from Bimota for setting it exactly it costs megabucks. You can use a voltmeter instead but I don't know the readings the only data I had was totally wrong. The process involves looking for a certain number of millivolts at a certain throttle opening measured using a 1/18th (or something??) drill of all things.

I took my bike to Riders in Bridgewater, told them about the TPS and how to adjust it, then I asked them to try and set it to its optimum position using their dyno. They did just that and it worked a treat for me.

The process cost about £100 if I remember.

Sounds like if you are running hot, the TPS thinks the throttle is closed when it isn't so the mixture is leaner than it should be. You could try rotating it so that it thinks the throttle is wider open than it currently thinks it is.

Hope that this helps,
Zombie
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: