Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

V Due engine (full fat on carbs)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gavin944888

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So next up we have the front Disc spacers and the footpeg plates....oh Lordy.

I had managed to obtain some very nice PFM discs at under £200 complete ....but these had an unknown fitting.

This mattered not a jot as I had to machine up spacers and it all could be machined to fit....PFM discs at under a 100 each!......noted.

Setting up the carriers for PCD drilling.

[img]IMAG0634 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

Here you can see the offset and the material thickness of the carriers.

[img]IMAG0637 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

The Discs are positioned on a carrier which matches the usual Ducati/Cagiva/Bimota 6 bolt pitch pattern

[img]IMAG0636 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

Final image of how they look on the wheels....unsure if to colour anodize...I like them as they are.

[img]IMAG0635 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

Naturally all bearings were changed and the bearing spacer bars checked....new wheel spacers matched the disc, wheel, forks and calipers.

The alloy peg plates were always going to be a feature......they were 32mm thick and set up on the CNC mill

[img]IMAG0626 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

James was getting stressed...as I wanted a reverse hole pattern....ie no fixing holes on show.

[img]IMAG0627 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

Here you can see my idea....no external holes....all fixings through the frame plate into the footpeg plate....it is not fixed as yet...it is just resting in position.

[img]IMAG0628 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

This is the other side...once fixed into position the foot pegs and controls can be laid out.

[img]IMAG0630 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

The pegs and controls will be dis-assembled and all anodized Black....hopefully giving a kind of 'thought of look' which the likes of Tamburini was known for.

Next...it is the front and rear OEM fairing brackets...the footpegs....modifying the seat and getting ready for a Mid April delivery to the wiring man.

thanks

Gavin
The Scottish Engineer.

Cagiva Elefant 888/955 & adventure sidecar
Cagiva Elefant 999r engined
Cagiva BIMOTA Motard Concept
BIMOTA DB9 (with DB11 rear-end)
BIMOTA DB7-11 VLX MULE (build coming to an end)
BIMOTA DB11 VLX Supercharger
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice discs....nice carriers.....leave shiney.....any coloured anodising would focus in on the spacer whereas its the carrier/rotor thats the pretty piece.....nice offset additional bolts also centred around the carrier bolts...so engineering considered to lessen weak points

I presume those are locking split washers under the disc bolts?....what holds the disc to the carrier? Backside of disc?

THoughts on the gear rod linkage?...is the push rod going to be behind the frame and footpeg plates to achieve a straight push/pull on the gear lever rod to gear selector shaft?...Or are you going Tamburini/Bimota style with a bent and shaped connecter gear rod? Going through 90 degrees via 2 No. 45 degrees either way....to come back to a cranked offset rod?
TVRRICH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another interesting update Gavin thanks. Keep them coming Very Happy
Weed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gav,
I think you need to revise your radiator inlet & outlet so you don't have to run hoses across the engine. The RH side outlet should be at the bottom of the radiator to feed the pump & the LH side inlet should be at the top.
brian

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gavin944888 wrote:

I sometimes think that no one reads the posts...but thankfully NO, that is not the case.

We all read your updates on this really cool build Gav, just don’t often have anything of interest to say or add. My comments on this post usually resemble that of a giggly school girl with a crush on the school teacher
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
brian

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love the chunky alloy peg plates Gav! The clean look of the no visible fixing bolts is very clever. Little touches like this are what makes this so cool Cool
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
brian

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like that this build is kind of a ‘reverse’ bimota...... beautiful custom rolling chassis with a Bimota engine.

Very Bimota-esque
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brian wrote:
Gavin944888 wrote:

I sometimes think that no one reads the posts...but thankfully NO, that is not the case.

We all read your updates on this really cool build Gav, just don’t often have anything of interest to say or add. My comments on this post usually resemble that of a giggly school girl with a crush on the school teacher

we're all the in the same club Brian.....we know not what he does but we all like it....and Gav has a lovely story of a crush he had on a school teacher also....unrequited love.....although he was male......Gav that is...the teacher being female....
Gavin944888

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WEED...I agree, that I may have to change things round.

I am getting all the big stuff out of the way and I have plans for the cooling system.

Whilst the parts are away for powder coating and anodizing, I will tack the coolant supply and returns although I am slightly quized by the Bimota approach of cooling this engine.

I have bought 1 of OZ's favourite electric water pumps...Craig Davies or some other UK R&B singer who has moved into auto parts.

I once ran an 888 with no front radiator....all of it under the seat and in the side panels....3 electric fans and a VERY clean look.l

It never worked...too many air traps...but it won't stop me trying...again......or again

HHmmm.the French Teacher....I was 14... she was Miss Wilson...back combed, dark brown hair and chunky polo neck jumper.....it was Scotland.......

Also.......it is the detail things that take the time.....the head light bracket is a gem...but many hours went into it......wait til you see it.

regards

Gavin
The Scottish Engineer

Weed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gavin944888 wrote:
WEED...I agree, that I may have to change things round.

I am getting all the big stuff out of the way and I have plans for the cooling system.

Whilst the parts are away for powder coating and anodizing, I will tack the coolant supply and returns although I am slightly quized by the Bimota approach of cooling this engine.

I have bought 1 of OZ's favourite electric water pumps...Craig Davies or some other UK R&B singer who has moved into auto parts.

I once ran an 888 with no front radiator....all of it under the seat and in the side panels....3 electric fans and a VERY clean look.l

It never worked...too many air traps...but it won't stop me trying...again......or again

HHmmm.the French Teacher....I was 14... she was Miss Wilson...back combed, dark brown hair and chunky polo neck jumper.....it was Scotland.......

Also.......it is the detail things that take the time.....the head light bracket is a gem...but many hours went into it......wait til you see it.

regards

Gavin
The Scottish Engineer

I presume Miss Wilson was the cause of the increase in the laundry bill.
Gavin944888

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2Bims..........look at the inner carrier....the outer disc section is held on by a fancy 1 piece holding ring design....a PFM patent.

The disc is bolted to a hub spacer via M6 bolts and the hub spacer bolts into the origonal disc bolts on the hub...counter-bored M6 bolts.

Once the wheels were on a lot of the big stuff was completed....now just the smaller but time consuming detail work.

First of all the headlights...............

A Cagiva Supercity has an rectangle headlight, but as this is a larger and wider Supercity... by 50mm across the width.the healights had to fill the gap otherwise it is like a cyclops

[img]IMAG0639 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

So a 2mm alloy plate goes to the laser cutters with instructions to fit these little HONDA CBR 400rr units...very endurance racing inspired.

Added to the decision was that these OEM Honda units are under £20 of your English pounds each.

[img]IMAG0638 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

Also being HONDA they are superbly made and fully adjustable with an excess of fixing and light adjustiner points.

[img]IMAG0640 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

[img]IMAG0641 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

The better the light manufacturer..... the better the assembly......these are a cass act.

[img]IMAG0642 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

The units are now fully adjustable and mounted on the base plate.

All that is needed is a decorative front plate to slip over the two lenses and let the chrome sections poke though.

This front plate will finished in chrome or vinyl hidden in the fairing apperture.

[img]IMAG0643 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

With the headlights assembled.....all that needs to be done is weld bracketry to the OEM front fairing bracket.

The ignition switch also needs to go on that fairing bracket with the dash plate directly above it.

[img]IMAG0652 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

I have a Bimota switch unit (never used) including 2 keys on a loop....but for now....I have fitted a DUCATI unit

[img]IMAG0644 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

James, welds up the ignition switch bracket..........as I get the rubber OEM tank bung (on the bench) ready to be siliconed into position.

[img]IMAG0651 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

I mention the tank spacer..... as now everything has to be made to suit the Cagiva Supercity body work.... where posible.

The OEM rear tail unit and side panels will be used and there will be a OEM seat base....modified to suit.

An old seat base unit is fixed as per standard at the rear, whilst the front is offered up to the tank.

Only a slight trimming was needed to clear a frame fube ....you can see the cut signs.

[img]IMAG0648 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

The plastic base gets some heat and is moved into position.......the same front mounting system (alloy bridge with gap) is used to clamp the seat down.

[img]IMAG0650 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

The base is bolted down and left to cool.......it has to glass fibred and extended ....but the basics are there.

This image gives a good indication of how much wider the bike will be over the Cagiva Supercity.

The seat base unit will be extended in the upper width section where it lays on the tank and will mimic the SuperCity design...as below.

[img]IMAG0258 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

[img]IMAG0645 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

On the bench you can see the two batteries ...the battery box will be made into the rear OEM seat fairing tail piece.

The alloy spacers are there as the tail fin is spaced up to miss the pipes and give the rear light somewhere to go.

Slowly ....but... it will be ready to go to FRP Guido in early April...

More to follow

Gavin

The Scottish engineer

2bims

PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2020 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you keeping the "max weight limit 9Kgs" rea grab handles and luggage rack?...I do like the seat fixing on a supercity....One hidden securing bolt and castle nut....yet 2 N. more fixing points for the plastic lugs on the seat base to push under parts on the bike...seems a "faff" initially until you catch their thinking....that the whole thing aint going anywhere...and the front isn't going to peel up...or the back...etc etc...
Gavin944888

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2Bims.........the rear rack weight limit is being adhered to even though the battery is there.

I especially like the attention to details of 9Kgs only....not 8 or 10 ..but 9kgs.

With regards to the engine mods....there has been some speculation relating to these.

First up the engine : itis the latest EVO engine from Piero but still suffers from the non-modified and re-engineered starter system.

Those with Vdues will be aware of the almost old DUCATI esque starter syndrome....push button ...nothing there...or very slowly

Inside the engine, the starter system has been looked at and fiddled with an old engineer, who works with, but NOT exclusively with, the Nothern VDue contingent of this Island.

Via 2Bims, my engine ...as yet un run...was stripped and the starter sprag assembly had new hi tensile bolts of a certain dia re-fitted with loctite.

This modification is an update from the phillips headed countersunk screws which are M4..early engines.

Those with Vdue engines...if you drop your oil and you find small gnarled screw heads...the next thing not to work will be the starter.

One mod was to replace with hi tensile...another mod was to re drill and tap M5....the latest pre EVO engines had M5 fitted, but still poor bolts.

The man that 2Bims knows takes apart and fits or re-taps with the correct hi tensile bolts M5 and loctites.

Apparently...no lag..no fuss...just turning of engine....do not ask me...ask 2Bims.

Although, why he needs this, as he no longer stalls..... due to carb modifications and he can hill start...who knows...but it is there just in case.

Anyway.............that is the engine modification carried out in the UK.

The engine modification that Piero carried out in Italy, was to my spec and of no interest to anyone else.....honest.

More nonsense soon

regards

Gavin
The Scottish Engineer

Gavin944888

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentlefolk......the build has hit a bit of a lull due to all this corona virus scare stuff.

The workshop is out of bounds until later in the week...so here are some pictures not used in the chapters so far.

These images relate to the FRP manifolds and replaced the OEM Piero units which from an engineering aspect, could be made differently.

When I looked at the two sandwich alloy plates and rubber boots.... it made me think that another approach could be utilized......engineered differently.

Here, the OEM system as they sit on the VDue engine, although minus the actual rubbers.

[img]IMAG0260 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

[img]IMAG0261 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

Years ago (2001) whilst trying to get the fuelling correct on a Ducati 955 engine...I spent days, weeks and months developing a adjustable length bellmouth system.

I had access to the very latest CNC testing, modeling and manufacturing machines.

So...I built 2 bellmouths from solid billet alloy which angled through 35 degrees and they lengthend via cams by 35mm to give a clean fueling at low and top end.

When on the dyno...the dyno guy, amazed at the work said 'Bimota use a simpler system on their SB8'.....I was gutted....but he was right

It was not the same....the injectors travelled up a rail system.....just the result was the same....and a lot less man hours

It taught me to search the web as there are better and smarter people than me out there.

So....when looking at the OEM manifold of the VDue, I put my pencil and Zues book away and got my moose oot.

And this is what I found ...........and bought.

[img]IMAG0658 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

I was more than happy to design a manifold, but I am unsure that I could have made something as clean as this FRP unit.

[img]IMAG0655 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

The whole FRP unit is machined from one piece alloy billet and the workmanship is superb, whilst the spigots are OEM units ...KTM ..I think.

[img]IMAG0654 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

And this is how it looks on the engine with the carbs and filters fitted.

[img]IMAG0566 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

[img]IMAG0567 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

The whole thing just looks correct and I was very happy with my FRP purchase....Fielder Racing Products supplied by GUIDO on this very forum

More updates as we go

regards

Gavin

The Scottish Engineer

trev45

PostPosted: Tue Mar 17, 2020 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love what your doing different but cool

FRP do great stuff got some bits of him and will get some more in the future as I am building one more race bike

Cheers Trev
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> V Due All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 8 of 16

Jump to: