Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

V Due engine (full fat on carbs)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gavin944888

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello............just to get the record straight.

The Swing arm pivot is situated on or in a pivot plate bolted to the frame side plates.

The swingarm has been centred and spaced then locked into the pivot plate via shims.

The pivot plate is then pushed into a 'spread frame position' by use of a jacker bar pushing the frame gap outwards (making the gap larger)

Then once correctly positioned ....the jack bar is wound down and the swing arm assembly is held apart via 4 off M14 bolts....2 each side.

[img]IMAG0586 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

With the swing arm assembly fixed ...we turn our attention to the linkage and shock mounts.

I had designed the shock system after studying the Tony Foale Frame Design and Suspension.......he knows more than me!

[img]IMAG0588 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

The rocker unit for the shock assembly came back from the platers. I had chosen the zinc thingy coating as I needed the finish not to effect the needle bearing diameters once pressed into the rocker unit.

[img]IMAG0594 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

Unline the powder coating which had an effect on all mating surfaces and all bolt hole diameters........but we somehow managed to get stuff to fit....after many attempts.

[img]IMAG0601 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

The shock is astandard 280mm long unit off a Ducati HyperStrada....it fits and has enough adjustment for the time being.

[img]IMAG0600 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

For sure.....an OHLINS rear unit would be better.... but like the Chinese AirFilters...and the tyres, they serve a purpose and will be changed later when used in anger.

Likewise.... a Stainless Steel rocker actuator rod will be machined and tapped after the correct heights have been established.

[img]IMAG0599 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

The addition of the hydraulic preload adjuster and seperate gas cannister all add to the factory look....I hope!

The smaller radiator is welded back to front and has some new brackets fitted.

I have sourced a 110 mm dia SPAL fan to fit in the gaps....

[img]IMAG0596 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

James .....machines some nylon lock stops which also act as the radiators fixing bosses.......these land on the bottom yoke and stop any additional turning......saving the tank.

[img]IMAG0602 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

OEM Ducati ST3 handlebar switches mate up to the ST3 brake and clutch master cylinders.......giving a proper look.

[img]IMAG0598 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

[img]IMAG0597 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

Next ...it is the rear wheel assembly....centralizing and maching spacers to join all of this.

[img]IMAG0603 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

Next time....wheels...discs and the very special Tony Green pipes.

[img]IMG-20200226-WA0008 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

[img]IMG-20200226-WA0007 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

[img]IMG-20200226-WA0009 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

A big thank you to 2Bims who recommended a Ceracoating company whom he had used with good results.

'They do virtually every colour'...he said

'Send me your pipes...I'll take them there and get the colour right'

[img]IMG-20200226-WA0005 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

I'll have black.....just black....black pipes..black end cans...black inners...Black.....not Gloss....not Matt...Satin.....Black satin ...........thank you

Until next time

Gavin

The Scottish Engineer.

Cagiva Elefant 888/955 & adventure sidecar
Cagiva Elefant 999r engined
Cagiva BIMOTA Motard Concept
BIMOTA DB9 (with DB11 rear-end)
BIMOTA DB7-11 VLX MULE (build coming to an end)
BIMOTA DB11 VLX Supercharger
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those pipes look familiar...as does the location...I'm proud of you managing to take photos from a "WhatsApp" swipey phone and transferring to the Forum.....thats some achievement...Some mix and match on switchgear there....Original Cagiva Elefant/Ducati 851/888/900ss 1990's LHS switchgear...and RHS sort of Vdue=ish...but a hazard warning button also???..Is that in case you spend half your ride time on the back wheel only? The front clawing for the skies? Reminds me of the CannonBall Run film and the bike rider who'd put on a pound or two in weight....Coming together nicely though....Check your nylock nuts on the end cans.....I rebolted on one end can with a widget swivel and 10mm....as camcoat had removed one for ease of coating....
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh...Remind me at "Showtime"...I have a couple of original "brembo" half moon clamps that you could replace yours with on the Clutch and front brake masters....Difference being these have Mirror threaded bosses on the top so you can mount mirrors if required.....
brian

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the updates and all of the great photos Gavin. The project is coming along nicely. I love your work!
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
Gavin944888

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello..............making good progress and this is due to getting over to the workshop for 1-1.5 days per week.

Brexit has hit all foreign trailers coming into the country and those who are are limited by Corona Virus.

First job was to get the pipes to fit after everything had been ceracoated and powder coated.

[img]IMAG0614 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

Lots of twisting and pushing to get everything to line up.......being ever careful of the pipe finishes.

[img]IMAG0613 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

The clearances were tight before and now they are even tighter although.....there were air gaps throughout...even on the shock spring.

[img]IMAG0610 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

Getting the final positioning needed a bit of gentle movement!

[img]IMAG0612 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

I have an OEM rear hugger which I plan to fit....this should tidy up the rear end and keep the pipes clean-ish.

[img]IMAG0611 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

Front wheel on along with chosen mudguard.....just waiting for disc carriers to come off the lathe...forks and guard are from KTM 640 something

[img]IMAG0609 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

I got James to supply some alloy side plates to take the electrics....servo motor...fuel pump and some fuses.

[img]IMAG0618 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

Knowing I normally work on Cagiva Elefants.....James machines on the Mill... some ears to go either side.....hhhmmmm.

[img]IMAG0610 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

But at least the electrics will be kept warm and hopefully dry.

[img]IMAG0604 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

[img]IMAG0608 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

There will be a secondary fuel header tank to feed the fuel pump mounted to these side plates as well as most of the gubbins that go with bikes.

A moment of relief as the bike is on its own wheels and progressing.......still a lot to do though

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Okay.....there was a photogragh of me behind the bike.....here but I have removed it.

On my flickr account my user name is Bear (as in animal not Gay Icon)and guess what?

I have been followed .......poked...stalked...whatever....by a nice man who has many images of semi naked men in arty poses on his front homme page.

I care not a jot...about your sexual persuasion .....but I am a bit uneasy at being a pin up for any community!.....I will leave that to Kylie.

More to follow

Gavin

The Scottish Engineer

Last edited by Gavin944888 on Thu Mar 05, 2020 10:00 am; edited 1 time in total
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely...Can I ask what the front mudguard came off? I have a friend with Ohlins front end....and is need of a mudguard with what looks like the same odd fittings.....2 bolts up front one rear one per leg....

Lastly...other than congrats....How friggin big is that rear sprocket?...as in "teeth".....You may not want to fly along at 160mph....the claimed top speed of a "standard" set up Vdue....But I'm wondering whats the point of twin discs up front if youre going to be only on the back wheel through all the gears? teehee….May be just the angle of the dangle But I had to ask....
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Purely as a reference point....I'm running 15-43 FR....was a problem...until the carbs were sorted....Now just fine
TVRRICH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the update Gavin, great stuff as usual, looking good
Gavin944888

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay...........Ladies and Gents...here we go.

The rear subrame as with the front are OEM old rusty Cagiva Supercity units.

To these, I am welding brackets for my dash and the ignition switch and on the rear something to hold the battery....

I could also do with an image of the Servo motor mount and position...as I may stick it in the fairing bracket or not...advice needed.

Current (no pun intended) electrical thinking is 'we hate lithium....they blow up if they are cheap and the regulator is not a specific type.'

There is an image of a BIMOTA db6 or 5 with a blown and well fired lithium battery on the web somewhere.

So with in mind, I am making the battery box take 2 sizes ....Lithium and Gel filled.

Once the fabrication is complete they will be blasted and coated as per the frame......hope that this answers the question 2Bims.

Ferret the spark does not want to wire the bike and then not be able to test it....it is booked in with Guido for the Zeeltronic fitting and dyno set up.

Therefore I have had to use my concillatory skills and I have Guido power up the bike bike with a race type loom and then hand back to Ferret for final rewire and full road spec....it delays the finish..but hey ho.

This week... I plan to have the front disc rotors and spacing done and the footplates...if the CNC machine is repaired and available.

More to follow.

Gavin

The Scottish Engineer

2bims

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its a DB6 with a melted battery....fried the ECU and most of the bike also

Servo motors on the Vdue are Yamaha Units....I say units...because theres 2 of them....cable fed so you need to have them where the cable can be routed thru to the exhaust valves....on the Vdue theres a teeny tiny offset plate on the back of the engine near the swingarm mount...dead centre.....which also doubles up as a Lug mounting pipe for the Jolly moto pipe that comes through the sinwging arm.....Pretty sure you have a rear shock unit in that location...the plate never comes with the engine...so pretty sure you dont have one of those either....the other one is mounted under the engine at the front....I'll see if I can dig pictures out
Gavin944888

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2Bims.....2 of them...I thought that there was only 1 servo motor and a fancy splitter adaptor thing may have been needed.

I only have one servo motor....blast...I will have to find another.....help!

What Yamaha servo motor is it and I will try Fleabay or whatever....probably Guido.

Just finished bleeding brakes....almost as much fun as wiring....should be left to others.

The Honda CBR400rr headlights are little gems and the laser cutters have burnt out a front and rear face plates, out of 2mm alloy....I will be assembling them tomorrow.

I will be posting more images up later in the week now that my stalker has been 'poked off' ............imagine ...me a tease at my age..........ho hum!

thanks

Gavin

The Scottish Engineer

stockcar

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent progress....
Weed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Gavin944888"]2Bims.....2 of them...I thought that there was only 1 servo motor and a fancy splitter adaptor thing may have been needed.

I only have one servo motor....blast...I will have to find another.....help!

What Yamaha servo motor is it and I will try Fleabay or whatever....probably Guido.

Both my VDues have only 1 servo that runs to the upper cylinder. A set of auxiliary cables run from the upper cylinder to the lower one. The parts manual also only shows 1 servo
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops.....Yeh...I think Youre right there Weed.....cable feeds to the lower cylinder....but no servo motor....just the one behind the rear cylinder...cabling to the top

Apologies big Gav....
Gavin944888

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for getting things straight...Weed, it saves me some money.

I sometimes think that no one reads the posts...but thankfully NO, that is not the case.

I have no workshop manual or indeed anything to take reference from....just the Cagiva Supercity and a visual of a Bimota V Due engine...the rest is up to the imagination.

Both Bimota and Cagiva have no images of this bike.....it seems that all designs, working sketches and concept drawings of Tamburini, were gifted back to his family on his death.

Alessia Rimboni, Cagiva and now MV Agusta press secretary and events organizer ......recommended web pages and photo references on Cagiva frame building techniques and images, but no visual of this bike

Having a photograph and an idea is how the Bimota DB7-11 VLX replica thing got started...so I am used to a challenge.

Alessia was instrumental in the Cagiva factory open day I organised (2010) and arranged the exhibiting of the Cagiva Paris Dakar bikes along with the Tamburini designed Moto GP bikes.

Back to this build...........

Having identified a space ...I plan out the Zeeltronic kit which come wired with coils and Servo..(one off)

[img]IMAG0604 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

[img]IMAG0630 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

This should be fairly dry and warm without causing any issues with airflow.

[img]IMAG0624 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

It all looks good and it kind of looks right.....at least from my point of view and will not foul the coolant pipes.

[img]IMAG0625 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

More to follow

Gavin
The Scottish Engineer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> V Due All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 7 of 16

Jump to: