Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Wheel weights (SB6)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gammaboy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 5:55 am    Post subject: Wheel weights (SB6) Reply with quote

Ok, so we all know the Anteras weigh a tonne, and the Oscams are lighter, but which is lighter out of the Oscams and the Marchesini 3 spokes that some bikes got? And how much difference is there?
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there was a thread that had the various weights on it.
Gammaboy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only weights I've found are comparing BST and Dymag to the Anteras - Vort 28 listed the following:

Antera ...................................Front 6kg Rear 8.95kg
BST carbon.............................Front 2.95kg Rear 5 kg
Dymag 7 spoke forged alloy.....Front 3.45kg rear 5.9kg
Dymag carbon........................Front 2.75kg rear 4.75kg.

Haven't found anything for the Oscoms or 3 spoke marchesini (apart from a comment about the Oscoms being 5-6kg lighter - i assume that's across the pair so 9-10kg for the pair? seems very light), and another comment that Marchesinis are about half way between Anterea and BST (which would be about 11.5kg for the pair).
vort28-2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was me many moons ago , I have some SB6 Marchesini in the garage , think they have tyres on, I will give them a weigh next time I'm in there.
Bud977

PostPosted: Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fitted Yamaha R1 wheels to the YB8. Very light, cheap and easy to get, 320mm discs available. It's a bit of work to make them fit but worth the effort. I think I put the weights in that past post as well.
Gammaboy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud977 wrote:
I fitted Yamaha R1 wheels to the YB8. Very light, cheap and easy to get, 320mm discs available. It's a bit of work to make them fit but worth the effort. I think I put the weights in that past post as well.

I've got a set of 2nd Gen Triumph Daytona 675 wheels which are very light (front is 4kg, no discs, rear with disc and sprocket is 8kg,) but the front is a very wide hub and from dummying it up in the SB6 forks/triples I have here, I'd have to convert to wider triples to clear the cast bit at the bottom of the forks.
Anyway, if the Oscoms are really that light, I might convert to them rather than the Marchesini 3 spokes, which, while lighter, I'm not really that big a fan of.
Bud977

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even the disc bolts on the R1 front wheel had to be modified to clear the forks. It's tight but they work.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2019 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Standard SB6 disc bolts are counter sunk to fit flush with the carriers
Gammaboy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evilchicken0 wrote:
Standard SB6 disc bolts are counter sunk to fit flush with the carriers

Doesn't clear the Speedo drive otherwise
O_Roger

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

i am considering geting (used) Dymag or BST for my sb6 mk1 and was wondering what sizes i can go for.

If i'm correct the oem is F17x3,5 and R 17x5,5 so i assume that size fits but what about R17x6? or F17x3,75? etc etc

Also will the Mk1 brakes mount ? l assume i need other brake munting discs.

Do both BST and Dymag fit the sb6 without milling or custome spacers?

PS: i don't care for the speedomiter so that must not work with the new wheels.
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If youre getting "used" BST or Dymag the issue you will have is what bike they were fitted to....As you've asked about spacers.....and diameters for spindles is the main concern and rear brake hanger plate and discs fitting front and rear and Sprocket offset aligning on the back wheel also...With the right information provided both companies will sort all that for you...buying 2nd hand then youre on your own....BST and DYMAG would fit you a rear sprocket of your size asked for...2nd hand wont...and you wont get the right spacers...or even maybe the right size bearings in the wheels for your spindle to fit through...or even the right number of holes and spacings to fit either the front disc or the rear...If you can make all these pieces from scratch then theres no questions to ask...If you cant...and dont know someone who can...then youre buying a whole heap of trouble....and any money saved buying used will be swallowed in changing everything else and making new....New Dymag...if you tell them what you have come with right sized hubs and bearings and spacers made to suit...so its simply unbolt discs and fit tyres and fit wheels....BST some folk have had issues with incorrect spacers being sent...but thats because Bimota made several versions of the SB6....same with Vdue using different swingarms etc etc etc...
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BST dont make an SB6 fitment, they do SB6R but that uses an electronic speedo. I think after that there are two wheel types for Mk1 and 2 SB6.
So for carbon you're looking at Dymag.

You might be able to ask about second quality, they have cosmetic imperfections so if you ask dymag directly you will have to go to their factory and inspect them before you buy.
vort28

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dymag do a 'RE-WORK ' service. As the main wheel is basically generic with the hubs 'inserted ' into the main wheel , they will remove the old hub plate / bearing/spacers etc and replace with the specific for your set up.
However buying second hand and then paying for this is probably more expensive then just buying new.

Oh , on size , I've got 17x6 on the back on mine OK.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: