Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB4 wheels
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rudernst

PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2019 8:44 pm    Post subject: DB4 wheels Reply with quote

I would like to swop out the dreadful Antera wheels of my DB4i.e. for lighter wheels.

Are any Ducati wheels an easy fit ?

If so which models and years ?

Id rather get a decent used set of Ducati wheels
if that does not work, Marchesinis
BST Carbon wheels would be the last resort

RuE
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As per Bimota bikes....theres no such thing as "Ducati" wheels...as they are always from another maker in Italy...no point in reinventing the wheel if you excuse the pun.....The DB3 mantra came with Marchesini wheels as standard...and it has the same set up front and rear as DB4......So I'd go that route first and cheapest...Just search Ducati either Monster or 750/900ss or ie...From 1991 up to 2001.....and you'll find hits.

Another alternative cheaper than BST carbon is Dymag alloy forged wheels....nifty 7 spokes like what I fitted to my DB4 carbie….They come with everything you need to bolt straight on with no changes...spacers etc all there...and you get to choose the size for your Talon rear sprocket that comes with it...change over your discs and fit new tyres and down the road you go...they do deals at certain times of the year...saves around 6kgs from recollection???????...I used to have a front end weave on my DB4 at 80mph and above...(evidently when on a track...ahem)….tried new tyres...properly balanced...bearings fine discs good etc etc..still had the weave on the front...fitted the dymags...problem gone...

Available in Silver and black also at no extra charge...AND...youre getting new wheels...new cush drive assembly and new rear sprocket....no guarantees buying second hand that the wheels are Good....or not need painting. or new bearings...or new cush drive....or that they will fit without making up new spacers, fitting new bearings for the correct sized Bimota spindle to go through...Oh..AND your speedo drive has to fit the front wheel also...Dymag sort this..as guess what...Bimota used a ducati speedo drive unit...BUT...milled it out as a specail to able the use of the over large hollow spindles that Bimota like to use on all their bikes.....Save a lot of hassle...and peace of mind
brian

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They’re definitely sexy as hell wheels 2bims!
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
vort28

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you search google images there are a few DB4's on there that appear to have Ducati 999 wheels on them.
How easy there are to fit is any ones guess but have heard numerous times that Ducati front wheels will fit different models.
I know Ducati front disc's fit Bimota's so guess on the front its a bearing swap etc , rear's may be more complicated.
rudernst

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have a look at my bike

https://www.instagram.com/p/BvmjlXwH5k5/

I will change it to Semicarenata next winter, have already bought the fairing

RuE

Last edited by rudernst on Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
2bims

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vort28 wrote:
If you search google images there are a few DB4's on there that appear to have Ducati 999 wheels on them.
How easy there are to fit is any ones guess but have heard numerous times that Ducati front wheels will fit different models.
I know Ducati front disc's fit Bimota's so guess on the front its a bearing swap etc , rear's may be more complicated.

The issue there is the "age old one".....Bimota DB4 is cable driven speedo off old fashioned hub with speedo drive clip...Duc 999 is electronic speedo off magnetic pick-up.....thus Ducs up to 2001 and before is kind of the cut off limit for speedo drive assemblies if youre not changing clocks...But theres still Ducat 916, 996/998 and all before models....except some early monsters and specials using electronic clocks...MH900E....ST4 etc...and some monsters...in fact a pretty random bunch and pot luck...kinda like Bimotas....
rudernst

PostPosted: Tue Apr 09, 2019 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

916 to 998 can yield a front wheel
but not a back wheel as single sided
that much I know.
and I dont want a mismatched set

how much lighter would 900 SS wheels be than the Anteras of the DB4i.e. ?

RuE
vort28

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:

The issue there is the "age old one".....Bimota DB4 is cable driven speedo off old fashioned hub with speedo drive clip...Duc 999 is electronic speedo off magnetic pick-up.....thus Ducs up to 2001 and before is kind of the cut off limit for speedo drive assemblies if youre not changing clocks...But theres still Ducat 916, 996/998 and all before models....except some early monsters and specials using electronic clocks...MH900E....ST4 etc...and some monsters...in fact a pretty random bunch and pot luck...kinda like Bimotas....

As I said 2bims. If you search google images people have done it .With a speedo drive.
But then I forgot you don't believe anything without a picture .
How easy it was I have no idea, but they are 999 wheels I believe.
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Me likes pictures.....words I have to google....as you say...anythings possible....whether the LHS front wheel is milled out to take the metal two tab tang for a standard speedo drive....as its "merely "hammered home" into a recess

Wheel weight savings....I think any of the recommendations save at least 4 kilos per pair
vort28

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is the other end of the scale were Oily fitted triumph spec mag/carbon Dymags to his SB6 that involved hours of machining and ended up with cush drive etc that just didn't look right.

As you know I have a leaning towards Dymag as it was me that convinced you /supplied them for your DB4.
Best/easiest solution is the correct spec wheels and dymags have the best selection of Bimota fitments.
rudernst

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First a question: what are the reccomended tire pressures for the DB4 ?

then a remark: the Ducati 999 wheels where not known to be particularly light, I used to own a 999S and fitted that with carbon fibre wheels
both now long gone, wheels and bike seperately

what must the Anteras weigh if Duc 999 wheels are an upgrade ?

I am still making up my mind what to do with DB4 and what not
2Bims gave me lots of useful information thanx for that

RuE
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can look at my DB4 owners manual for tyre pressures....BUT...I now go by the tyre makers recommendations for the tyres actually fitted...I used to run 36F and 40R for Michelin Dual sports...But off their website I've dropped this down to 32 and 36 F&R....and its a lot smoother and comfier ride without feeling any other compromise
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vort28 wrote:
There is the other end of the scale were Oily fitted triumph spec mag/carbon Dymags to his SB6 that involved hours of machining and ended up with cush drive etc that just didn't look right.

As you know I have a leaning towards Dymag as it was me that convinced you /supplied them for your DB4.
Best/easiest solution is the correct spec wheels and dymags have the best selection of Bimota fitments.

Have you seen their prices recently if you went to HPS??? £2220 for their alloy rims now....Gulp...…

https://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/Dymag_Ultra_Pro_UP7X_Aluminium_7_Spoke_Wheels_Bimota.html

And £2700 for carbon
Sample Weights
Front 2.2kg complete and all-inclusive (Ducati fitment)
Rear 2.9kg complete and all-inclusive (Ducati fitment)

Alloy Dymags
Example OEM vs. UP7X Weights (KG)
Kawasaki ZX-10R, fully assembled including bearings, sprocket, and cush-drive.
Front 17” x 3.50” - OE 4.45, UP7X 3.36, saving 24.5%
Rear 17” x 6.00” - OE 7.60, UP7X 5.62, saving 26.1%
Pair - OE 12.05, UP7X 8.98, saving 25.5%
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vort28 wrote:

Have you seen their prices recently if you went to HPS??? £2220 for their alloy rims now....Gulp...…

https://www.bikehps.com/acatalog/Dymag_Ultra_Pro_UP7X_Aluminium_7_Spoke_Wheels_Bimota.html

And £2700 for carbon
Sample Weights
Front 2.2kg complete and all-inclusive (Ducati fitment)
Rear 2.9kg complete and all-inclusive (Ducati fitment)

Alloy Dymags
Example OEM vs. UP7X Weights (KG)
Kawasaki ZX-10R, fully assembled including bearings, sprocket, and cush-drive.
Front 17” x 3.50” - OE 4.45, UP7X 3.36, saving 24.5%
Rear 17” x 6.00” - OE 7.60, UP7X 5.62, saving 26.1%
Pair - OE 12.05, UP7X 8.98, saving 25.5%
DB1 860

PostPosted: Wed Apr 10, 2019 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So 2bims did you go 5.5 or 6in on the rear of your DB4 with your new wheels... or is that not an option? They are sexy looking wheels.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: