Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

SB8R vs SB8R Special

View previous topic :: View next topic  
djk

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 7:58 am    Post subject: SB8R vs SB8R Special Reply with quote

My local importer is bringing in 2 SB8's in a few months time, one is a standard SB8R and the other is a SB8R Special. Besides the carbon bodywork and different rear sets is there any other differences between the two?
GeeKay

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

6th gear ratios (8R 22/22 8RS 24/24)

Final drive ratio (8R 17/38 8RS 17/42)

wheelbase (8R 1395mm 8RS 1390mm)

width (8R 870mm 8RS 860mm)

height (8R 1190mm 8RS 1140mm)

dry weight (8R 179kgs 8RS 176kgs)*

fuel capacity (8R 24 ltrs 8RS 20 ltrs)

* the 8RS will be another 4kgs lighter than the 8R when fully-fuelled.

Unless they have been fully sorted, both will be equally as bad as each other Very Happy
djk

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the information.

The R has about 2500kms and the RS has 17000kms, i'd hope that the bike with higher kms would be sorted. Won't know for certain though until they get into the country and can road test.
GeeKay

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

look to see if either bike has a Dynojet Power Commander or such type of module fitted - if so, it's a sure sign that someone has tried to address the inherent fuelling issues.
SB8R tuner should be along any time - he has great knowledge of these bikes. Mine is from ownership of a SB8R.
2bims

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly sounds like one has been sorted...and the one with 2500kms on it , the owner(s) have probably spent more in spark plug renewals than they have on fuel during that 2500Kms..... Laughing

Either that or the clocks have been changed several times.....
djk

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, thanks for the advice.

The bikes will land in New Zealand either October or November. The importer is pretty good in that he will hold a bike for you and if it is what you want you buy it and if not he will sell it to someone else.

The RS is on hold for someone else but the importer says they normally only buy crash-damaged or missing parts Bimotas and the RS will probably be too much money for them(15000nzd) so thinks they will pass on it. I said i am interested in that one but if it sold i would look at the R that is also coming in, that one would be about 12000nzd.
GeeKay

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let us know how you get on.
And if you do purchase one of them, pm me and I will arrange a forum-member discount on my special SB8R swing arm sponge.................. Wink
djk

PostPosted: Fri May 17, 2019 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do and again thanks for the information.
hippotech

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been offered an SB8RS with 8k miles on it. Other than the fueling issues you mention above (I thought the RS had a different setup to the SB8R anyway?) is there anything else to look out for on this model?

Were there 2 versions of the RS, one with carbon tank and fairings, and one with plastic tank and sides/lower fairing?
It has the plastic clutch cover, is that a serious issue?
What would be a reasonable price for it, it has Ti end cans (plus standard) and is in very good condition.

[About 12 years ago I had the SB8R and loved it, only real issue I faced was a loom connector that occasionally came apart. The fueling seemed ok to me. Comfort was appalling, but I wasn't buying a sofa..]
djk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 2:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anybody know how many SB8RS's were made? The importer i am dealing with saw the bike that is for sale on the car and classic webisite which said believed to be one of two produced. Now i know more than two were made as there are 9 listed on the register.

The importer also brought in 4 SB8's recently and is having issues getting them road registered, he is trying to get a hold of the factory(good luck) and is going to try Classic parts and Bimota Spirit next and his question was what do the numbers mean on sticker on the frame ZESSB8R00XR000124. He knows what the SB8R and 124 parts are but what does everything else mean. Our local government is making it hard for him as SB8's were never sold new here so they want a lot of information. I pointed out that my SB7 was never sold new in NZ and that got registered easily enough and he said that they had changed the rules again.

Any help on the above would be great as he is bringing in a SB8RS that i am looking at buying but if it can't be registered then it is not much use to me.
Gammaboy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what the vin digits mean, have a read of this.
https://www.carfax.com/blog/vin-decoding

So Z means Italy
ES is Bimota
SB8R is the model
X is 1999
R is the Rimini plant
000124 is the sequential, so it's the 124th SB8R for 1999.
SB8RS are from the same sequence of Vins as SB8R.
djk

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2019 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent, thank you very much Gammaboy, i'll pass the information on.
vort28

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hippotech wrote:

Were there 2 versions of the RS, one with carbon tank and fairings, and one with plastic tank and sides/lower fairing?
It has the plastic clutch cover, is that a serious issue?
What would be a reasonable price for it, it has Ti end cans (plus standard) and is in very good condition.

I don't believe any SB8RS's had a carbon tank , they are all plastic , only some of the SB8K and Santamonica's had carbon tanks , not all .

Plastic side and lower fairings is that not the SB8R and carbon SB8RS ?
vasculopath

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My SB8RS had the belly fairings swapped for the pieces from a standard, red plastic, but were those pieces Carbon originally or just black plastic? My RS is otherwise original, and the leading side pieces appear to be plastic, though I haven't had them off in a while...
djk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 24, 2019 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just picked up the RS, frame number 135, 17000kms on the clock, overall in good condition but definitely a ridden bike. Will give it a full service etc next year so won't ride it until then.

I saw photos of the bike whilst it was in Japan and it looked like it had an aftermarket exhaust system fitted, i sort of guessed what it was and that was confirmed when i saw it at the importers. It has a Moto Corse tunnel port exhaust system which really does tidy up the rear end and i am guessing should save a lot of weight.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: