Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

SB8R

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaguar

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2019 1:49 pm    Post subject: SB8R Reply with quote

https://www.dunbareurosports.com/default.asp?page=xInventoryDetail&id=1947296&p=1&make=bimota&s=Year&d=D&fr=xAllInventory

Its close enough to me I might have to take a look.
Was not super high on my list (although I might just not be looking at them right.)

Still REALLY itching to get a Bimota.

Anyone know this bike?
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 12:58 am    Post subject: Re: SB8R Reply with quote

Jaguar wrote:
https://www.dunbareurosports.com/default.asp?page=xInventoryDetail&id=1947296&p=1&make=bimota&s=Year&d=D&fr=xAllInventory

Its close enough to me I might have to take a look.
Was not super high on my list (although I might just not be looking at them right.)

Anyone know this bike?

I am not an expert on theSB8R but will share what i can from my experience. Looking at this bike it appears to be mostly stock except for the mirrors (they may be wrapped?). Also, I don't see a fuel system trimmer, may have a Power Commander or something else to ensure smooth throttle.

If this SB8R has been off the streets for a while, you are most likely will need to go through the seals to ensure no engine leaks. Mileage is good but not very low for SB8R and you will see below why I say this but its high enough to pay extra attention to the stock plastic clutch cover. The clutch cover tends to distort with time/mileage/temperatures. Bolts holding the cover go through the metal sleeves in the cover. When you are tightening the bolts, you are really pushing the sleeves against the engine side case but not the cover itself. Problem is easily remedied with a billet aluminum cover available at a TL-R forum. All in all I figure if the bike has not been used for a while you could be looking at another $1k or so to get it roadworthy.

The SB8R is not an easy bike to ride. Its designed for long upper body/arms and short legs. Ram air runners very effectively block off the view of handle bar controls. Its a PIA to ride in even moderate traffic, will heat up. Handling is aggressive. Check carbon fiber on the frame spars to ensure no scratches or delamination.

I had mine for about a year before letting it go to a collector. When I bought it, it had multiple oil leaks including clutch cover. All of that was taken care off. I would recommend having the bike inspected and find out which fuel control system (if any) is in the bike. Do yourself a favor and go see it in person.
2004 BMW R11S BCR
2010 Ducati Streetfighter 1098 S
Jaguar

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have there been issues with the carbon frame sections?
quikduk

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not that I am aware of, however everything with Carbon Fiber can be subject to stress cracking or de-lamination. It is a very lightweight and strong medium but still requires periodic inspection and care.

This bike looks very nice in the photos but you need a personal detailed look first. I second the oil leak and clutch cover issue to inspect. They are easily rectified and just require some time and a little money.

It is interesting that the ad on their website is poorly written though. Maybe they are just not very good with the English language...but they should be if they are advertising products in the USA IMHO...although I have fractured a vowel or two in my time...lol
Ray916MN

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: SB8R Reply with quote

Jaguar wrote:

Gotta suggest you consider not buying bikes which pop up across the country, but consider buying a bike from Bob Sternbugler of Bimota Spirit. He continually has nice bikes for sale, is truly an expert on Bimotas and is the best at service in the U.S.. Zero risk buying from him and his prices are reasonable (he will negotiate some).
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: SB8R Reply with quote

Ray916MN wrote:
Jaguar wrote:

Gotta suggest you consider not buying bikes which pop up across the country, but consider buying a bike from Bob Sternbugler of Bimota Spirit. He continually has nice bikes for sale, is truly an expert on Bimotas and is the best at service in the U.S.. Zero risk buying from him and his prices are reasonable (he will negotiate some).

I second that. Bought my first Bimota from Bob and almost 4years later ZERO regrets.
2004 BMW R11S BCR
2010 Ducati Streetfighter 1098 S
quikduk

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2019 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: SB8R Reply with quote

Ray916MN wrote:
Jaguar wrote:

Ditto this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bikes For Sale All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: