Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

SB6 No electrical power

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spongebob

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 5:13 pm    Post subject: SB6 No electrical power Reply with quote

Today's job was to get the SB6 i acquired from Oily running for the first time in about 5 years. All bodywork removed, tank removed and drained, carbs flushed through with new clean petrol. Connected the bike to a remote fuel source and it started and ran straight away. All was good until i started turning electrical components on. Switching on headlights I lost all electrics. I assumed a short had blown a fuse but all fuses are intact including main 30A on the starter relay. Absolutely nothing works! Zero volts to anything but a nice healthy set of brand new batteries.

What am i missing? Where to start?
brian

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you actually tested the 30A fuse fir continuity? Sometimes they can look ok but actually be bad. Maybe someone has put an extra inline fuse in somewhere?
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
brian

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've probably already checked but thought i'd mention anyway.... Battery terminals, connections and ground wires
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
Spongebob

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, took fuse out and checked across with continuity tester. Main earth checked and cleaned. Got to be something obvious but I have lost patience now and put it away. Will return with fresh enthusiasm later in the week
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Disconnect the lights
Use you volt meter and start at the batteries check each one then both together. then check the live at the solenoid … and continue
Gammaboy

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't someone have issues with no power that came and went with wiggling the fusebox connector under the front subframe?
Spongebob

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a quick look today. One of the (brand new Motobatt) batteries is completely dead. The other healthy. Will seek a replacement under warranty but what could kill it just like that? One minute everything works and then everything gone. There's not another fuse hidden somewhere in addition to the 30A fuse on the starter solenoid is there?
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Wed May 29, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No the fuses are the 30a main fuse and the fuses in the fuse box. The only way a battery can discharge that way is by a dead short and that would blow a fuse.

If the battery is completely dead (no volts) it would be that battery because any thing else the battery should recover to a percentage.
Spongebob

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought i had found the issue this weekend. The wiring for the right hand switchgear is badly chafed where it passes in to the box section of the frame behind the headstock. It's been badly repaired before so its been done again and i stuck a little bit of plastic screen trim on the frame edge to stop it happening again. Used jump leads to power things up and it's all still dead. I have 12V to the ignition switch but nothing is getting out the overside despite the switch appearing to work fine based on a continuity test. If i put 12v in to the loom downstream of the switch with a power probe then everything lights up as it should. I guess either the switch is faulty (I've seen fuse boxes before show continuity yet cant carry a load) or we have a dodgy connector (it's not factory OEM so someone has played before). I'm away for the next week so it's back in the garage until i return. Still hoping to have it up, running and serviced for Cadwell Park on 30th June.
Spongebob

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's fixed but it needed professional eyes. At some point in it's history someone had hacked in to the loom to create a positive feed for something. The join they made had failed severing all power to the ignition switch. I couldn't see it as it was buried in the loom which had been wrapped again and was well tucked out of sight. Just pure coincidence it failed when it did asnd nothing to do with switching on the lights.

Collecting later today but i doubt i will have time to have it ready for Cadwell this weekend. Castle Coombe in a few weeks might be more realistic.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds a bit of a tricky one - at least it's fixed now.

What was cadwell ?
Spongebob

PostPosted: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suzuki Classic track day Saturday and Classic Motorcycle Mechanics event on Sunday.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can still do Sunday
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: