Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Best jet cleaning additive ( if there is one!)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SB6Rstu

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:22 pm    Post subject: Best jet cleaning additive ( if there is one!) Reply with quote

Hi all, I was hoping that someone with experience of using a petrol additive successfully could give me a good one to try.
I have an SB6R that had been tucked away in hibernation . I have removed the carbs and cleaned jets ( very carefully to hopefully not disturb float heights as they were set a few years ago when it was dyno’d, but have only done a few miles since!)and fitted new plugs. I Took it out for about 25 miles and it cleared its throat more and more but has ended up with a bit of a flat spot at 3-3500 rpm. Not that noticeable but not perfect. Thought I might try an additive before I take the carbs and have another clean.
Any other suggestions would be welcome too.
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:43 pm    Post subject: Carb cleaning Reply with quote

I'm just working on the carbs of a VFR that hasn't had a lot of love since it left the factory. The needles had some varnish on them that took elbow grease and contact cleaner to clean off, which suggests that a fuel additive is not going to do a great deal.

Was your 6R left for a protracted period without being drained? The ethanol in un-leaded, even super unleaded now, separates out and then combines with moisture, to create a mild acid which eats through the lining in your tank and deposits a nasty paste inside your carbs, downstream of the throttle butterflies. This blocks the bypass holes in the carb body, which could cause a stutter at the revs you're talking about.

Might be worth persevering for a while, before pulling it down again, but I would use an additive that will discourage the ethanol from separating out of your fuel and use super un-leaded, which now also has ethanol in, but probably at a lower proportion than is in ordinary un-leaded.

Your other potential problem is that the float heights have gone out as the float valve has settled against the valve seat.
stockcar

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2019 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If its only mild cleaning then most fuel injection cleaners will do he job.....
SB6Rstu

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2019 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.
I have ordered myself a can of Liqui Moly injection cleaner. I will give it a try and put some miles on it. I want to make sure it’s spot on as it will be going up for sale unfortunately. Run the risk of not wanting to sell it after I have been using it for a week or so !! Sad
SB6Rstu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2019 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a quick update for anyone who may want to try this . I now have a very clean revving Bimota... went on a 70 mile run and it’s spot on.
Highly recommend trying a can of Liqui Moly injector cleaner and was only £6.95 from fleaBay..!!
Which means unfortunately that it’s time to advertise for sale Crying or Very sad Other projects and lack of use means she has to go.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: