Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB10 Problems !!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
glened

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:05 am    Post subject: DB10 Problems !! Reply with quote

Were to start?
Baby Bim as she is known has really started throwing it's teddy's out of the pram. It started a couple of weeks ago, quick ride up to Rivington Barn to meet up with Steve (2Bims) and the baby Bim is running really rough, won't idle, stalling when setting off, hunting when under 50mph an absolute pig to ride. Back home stripped tank and air box of then started to clean all the electrical connectors from the ecu to injectors, TPS, lamba sensors, new air filters and a thorough clean of the air box. Rebuilt for the following weekend then off to rive barn once more to meet up with Steve. Guess what ???? the bike still runs like sh*t, I let 2bims have a go and he confirmed that it was shi*e and offered me a penny for it (still thinking on that offer Steve) so back to the drawing board. When running in the garage for about 3/4 mins reving the bike up to 3000 rpm I noticed the exhausts starting to glow bright orange. Ahh the Ignition timing has moved I thought, I stripped of the l/h engine case only to find that the ignition timing is fixed one the Evo engine, back to square one.
Built the bike up and tried it again still running like sh*t. Ducati could not get the bike running correctly when it was new, required a new Ecu from Bimota, this was fitted however when running the bike on a steady throttle position the bike surged and hunted, to this end they fitted a pair of "fat Ducs" to fool the Ecu into richening the mixture. This improved the running and while its not perfect I have run with it for the last 5 years. Tried the bike again on Sunday night as I am going on my annual pilgrimage to Scotland on Thursday it ran lousy, I then unplugged the "fat ducs" and plugged the lambdas in direct, it ran even worse !!! as the Athena is a self learning ECU and it has adapted to the "fat ducs" Ahhhhhhhhhh I then in a fit of pique unplugged the Lambdas completely guess what ???? it runs a little better Smile. Then started to prep the bike for Thursday washed, new oil and filter, new chain and sprockets, kept trying the bike and it starts ok and ticks over OK. Tried to take the seat off and couldn't turn the seat lock key...... a few hours later and I am slowly forming the opinion that god only put the DB10 in this world to really piss me off, the reason I could not get the seat off was the fact when I was running it the other night and the exhausts got very warm... they melted the cheap plastic cover that covers the seat lock, therefore disabling the seat removal. Italian style and poise a thing of beauty built by a fuc*ing Vespa mechanic.
Any ideas where I can get one from or get one made??

I will keep you appraised about Scotland
brian

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up front, I know nothing about newer Ducati engines and even less about fuel injection. Just thinking about it logically though, something has changed (obviously). Eliminate all of the easy stuff first I guess.... check battery terminals and check for good grounds on all the earth connections, check all electrical connectors and vacuum lines, check for air leaks at the intake manifolds / boots. Fuel pressure regulator? Crank sensor?
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
vort28

PostPosted: Wed May 15, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glowing header is a sign of weak mixture, how about checking injector for blockage/performance.
glened

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2019 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stuart and Brian,

Thanks for your time, apologies for the delay, I have been in Scotland for a few days on the Bim. I have tried all that you mentioned Brian, even got to the desperation stage of taking all the connectors out and cleaning them with contact cleaner. Yes I agree with you Stuart it is running very lean. How do you richen it up?? Self learning ECU. Stopped at Abington services on the way back from Inverness, filled up and was then keen to get home, I rode from Abington to Kilington Lake services a distance of approximatley 100 miles, being pissed with the way that the Bim is running and wanting to get home, it ran at 100 to 112 all the way. Owing to the gearing being lowered it was reving between 6000 to 6800. It ran out of fuel 300 mtrs from the service station. Filled up again and carried on. I am now running without the Lambdas connected and this seems to run the best!! I did a plug chop as soon as got home, guess what... the plugs are white therefore running way to lean. But how can I richen it up, no body has any ideas. I will struggle on with it this summer, but come winter I will obtain a Ducati Hypermotard and transfer the complete loom, eco, throttle bodies injectors and dash. therefore the only part of it that is bimota will be the frame and fork yolks. Maybe then it will be reliable....
GeeKay

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the ECU fitted to the DB10 is from a production Ducati, you can use TuneECU to change the mapping. I have it for my Benelli TNT.
Or maybe take it to a Ducati dealer and ask if they can do it?
2bims

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bimota use a Ducati ECU???...Now why the heck would they have made life that simple??...they never have done so in the past....Nope...Its got an Athena ECU in it....Who else use those???...Friggin Benelli of course.....Bimota "in their day" did send a Mechanic to Duc Mcr to try and help with Glens DB10...his words were..." we a no a written de a softaware para de a moto a la momento….Manana.....Yup...they fitted an ECU that had no software written for it at the time...…..Ben Wylie has said that he can read them though...I'd try that route first...He did sort out a SantaMonica that never ran right...and maybe..Just maybe he can retweak Vdue dashes from Kms to MPH also???as they share a very similar dash/clock display
vort28

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glen , Is there nothing on the ECU .
My old 851/888's had a mixture screw in the ECU you could tweak , or could you try resetting/adjusting the TPS ?
Have you tested if the Lambda sensors are working ?
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Tue May 21, 2019 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See if theres somebody that can reflash the ecu
glened

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stuart,

Steve is correct with his summation of the DB10 situation. However when it was newer it ran a lot better than it does now, leaving me with the thought that something has changed. But what?? I am not sure how to check a Lambda sensor, but I will try and google it
2bims

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

glened wrote:
Hi Stuart,

Steve is correct with his summation of the DB10 situation. However when it was newer it ran a lot better than it does now, leaving me with the thought that something has changed. But what?? I am not sure how to check a Lambda sensor, but I will try and google it

Have you not called Duc Mcr to see of they have any new ones on Stock? Or do you know anyone nearby with say a Db5 or DB6 that wouldn't mind taking one of theirs out to try in your bike? Say...Over a Bank Holiday weekend?...Perhaps someone that has a DB5R laid up due to a leaking front fork seal? Shocked Shocked
2bims

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeeso...How much???????? ...Surely not £190 from a Ducati dealer???

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ducati-Lamda-sensor-sond-fits-899-959-1199-1299-multistrada-diavel/153444781915?hash=item23ba058f5b:g:S8AAAOSwLzFcq6Dt&frcectupt=true
glened

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sure looks like it. I will have a look on the net and see what is available. Thanks for the offer and I will give you a call to discuss, poss through the bike in the van and pop over on Sunday if your free ???
Gavin944888

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning.......ECU, regardless of the make ...very rarely lose information.

It may be beneficial to assume that maybe the information arriving at the ECU has been lost.
.....dictating the checking of the supplies to the ECU...ie sensors.

As far as I recall....TPS, Air pressure, Air temp, Oil Temp, as well as the exhaust......which really just alters the fuel mixture.
....however all of the above also have an effect on mixture.....
you may have to pull and run accordingly until the culprit is found.

I remember the injection system acting up on a Cagiva/Ducati 2 valve and the culprit was a bad oil temp Sender connection

I hope this may be of help..

BTW I run the DB9 with no exhaust
Llamba things......just something else to go wrong.
although I piggybacked a PC111 to overcome the Walbro irregularities

Regards

Gavin

Cagiva Elefant 888/955 & adventure sidecar
Cagiva Elefant 999r engined
Cagiva BIMOTA Motard Concept
BIMOTA DB9 (with DB11 rear-end)
BIMOTA DB7-11 VLX MULE (build coming to an end)
BIMOTA DB11 VLX Supercharger
2bims

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As per the title.....project currently shelved.....out on a test run yesterday.... A tranny van shot out of a side road and t-boned glened on his db10.....glened cushioned the impact with his entire lhs of body.... So happy to report he saved his baby bim......currently at A&E with him.....14 fractures to ribs, Foot and shoulder and punctured lung....going for op this aftie.....hospital rules say no flowers or balloons....🎈.... He's in good spirits and walking wounded....but methinks thats the morphine kicking in....he's pressing the button like a cast member of trainspotting would....
brian

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeez that’s not good mate, I hope he’s ok
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bimota Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: