Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Considering SB6

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nito

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 2:29 pm    Post subject: Considering SB6 Reply with quote

Hello everyone,

I’m new to the forum, have been lusting over Bimota’s for sometime, my favourite is the SB2, would love one one day but they’re unlikely to drop in price anytime soon!

Anyway, an SB6 has come available local to me and its very tempting;
Before I arrange to view it, I was wondering if some of the enlightened eagle eyes may pick up anything from the pics;
https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C1087961

Is this a known bike? For some reason the rear shock has a different colour spring to any other I’ve seen (blue instead of yellow), it has the marvic wheels and mirror extensions, I know the current owner has posted here before but only a very few 12 posts.

I found what I think may be a previous advert from old owner saying it had a new clutch at 3k miles, now on 4.8k. Is this something that is a known issue or a one off? It may be a different bike but the mileage is showing as similar, it has the blue spring and the white wheels and mirror extenders!

Any other input as to what its like to own one and any typical problems that need sorting for a reliable bike. I have a few bikes including Italians so no stranger to spannering on them and their reliability quirks (Aprilia’s reg/rectifiers and wiring, fuel connectors and clutch slaves).

Thanks for any advice,

Kind regards
Nito
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I clocked the shock spring and wheels. It might have had a different weight spring but that's not a problem. The wheels are Machisini, lighter than standard and a good upgrade. They mention the mirror extenders and the lengthened side stand which are both good.
The chain adjusters are at their minimum again good but check the sprocket wear and ask if the age of the chain. Ask about the batteries too ... they die because of under use.
The clutch plates can dry out which might explain the clutch.
Looks nice though ... look at this with eyes open.
Nito

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, good spot on the chain adjusters. Of course the wheels are Marchesini (even have stickers on them), my bad, the old ad had Marvic mentioned.

There are tiger stripe markings on the nearside swingarm, apparently down to a previous owner using acid or something to clean it which will need some attention. I see from this forum that the current owner did some work on indicators and headlights but all looks good in that respect.

It’ll be interesting to see if the shock spring is a heavier or lighter spring weighting. I would imagine chain and sprocket to be original at 4,800 miles.

It’s had 7 owners total but in fairness that’s over 21 years. The previous owner to this appears to have left it languishing and this owner has set about resurrecting it.

I’ve managed to download the workshop manual from the facebook page which was extremely helpful of someone to upload there Smile

I read the SB6 has an odd 2x6v battery arrangement, I presume for packaging reasons. I guess these are wired in series so charging etc is the same as normal.

Did these come with the paddock stand as most I see are of the same design?

Thanks again
Nito
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks nice enough.....Early Mk1 SB6?? with the best colour scheme for sure.....not sure whether he;s looking for more money for the "optional lightweight Marchesini wheels or not"....as he calls them an optional extra but presumably talking about when the bike was made by Bimota..."mirror" extenders are useful but not neccesarily by Bimota....the old Bimota club used to get these made for anyone with the same mirrors on Bimotas...theyre too close together normally so no rear view.....this part corrects that...….All bimotas came with a rear packing crate stand that fits on the hollow spindle thru it.....a nice to have....as they are sturdy and one man lift to get back wheels off ground....but no good for rear wheel removal....these normally go walkies after first ownership as they are so easy to use...still can be bought new though from BimotaClassicParts for 130 euros plus postage...…..

Yup...its had a new chain and rear sprocket....front sprocket though??? is engine out and he says he hasn't had the engine out....chain looks too short...too tight....when you sit on it it goes tighter....

Nice enough looking...no pictures of clocks though...ask for them in case they've been changed...is it a UK bike from new in 1996? ask for reg number and go on "getvehicelsmart".com...type in reg number and gives you MOT history and failures and no of owners and when regd in the UK....

Other than that looks nice....although he really doesnt say it runs....either well or at all....just "clean"....Seems a little pricey.....by SB6 standards...but...if everything is done and ready to roll down the road...check age of tyres....
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh...who was the previous owner?

THe UKBimotaFacebook page also has the SB6 xploded spare parts manual on there for free download
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say Mk2 - it has gold line master cylinders and 10mm offset discs.
This will ha 2 x 12 volt batteries
GeeKay

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would ask if he checked the front sprocket when he had it stripped down to the frame with engine attached. Front sprocket replacement is (usually) an engine-out job. Although with the low mileage it should be OK.
Looks like a MK2 - has Mk2 foot rest plates and the extra hole in the beam frame. Nice wheels too.
Was displayed at the West Kent bike show earlier this year.
Nito

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2019 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you gents for all the very useful replies and imformation. Curious regarding the non oe rear sprocket, one wonders why at just 4k miles. Unfortunately my day turned into a bit of a disaster so I wasn’t able to contact the chap and view it.

I don’t know the previous owner, i just came across an old bike ad that looked to be the same one here (wheels, mirror extensions, blue spring);
https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C938731

I know its advertised there as a 96 and now as a 98 but the current owner called it a 96 in his first thread here so perhaps it’s a 96 model registered in 98. It may not be the same bike as the old ad it appears on an N plate (which could have been a 96) unless it’s a cherished number. Even the sprocket looks to be gold and it also has the same sticker on the offside frame near the footpeg area unless they all have them.

Thanks again folks,
Nito
Nito

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I now have the reg number and my investigative work is correct, the old ad and new is the same bike.

Oddly, the MOT history check shows it as registered on 30th December 1996 which should have put it on a 'P' plate, however it is on an N plate and the plate is a normal 7 digit reg of no significance which would make it appear older than it is. The vehicle smart site shows it as registered as 20th April 1998!!

The RFL check site shows it as first registered in April 1998 but first manufactured in 1996 so I'd have to assume the latter two to be correct for first reg, unless it was imported and not an official uk bike. I have an imported ZXR and just ran a similar check, it was registered in 2017 but mot history shows it as first registered 31st March 1993 yet rfl and vehicle smart show it as registered as April 2017 but manufactured in 1993. This would explain why the Bimota is likely on an N plate, they would have gone with the oldest date plate that 1996 could be, ie an N. So this Bimota is a 1996 bike but not registered until 1998 for whatever reason and put on an age related plate by DVLA so clearly not registered as a new vehicle in 1998.

MOT's go back to 2007 with nothing of any significance standing out.

Apologies for the garbled post above, just unravelled the puzzle while typing!!

Cheers
Nito
Tonyjamesclark

PostPosted: Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

First post so take it easy on me , I got the same bike in my shed , yeah it’s all in bits . Short answer to your question is yes buy it.

Ride ain’t all that good , it’s fat like a size 16 girl , it will fall to bits on you , The police will be after u in no time and it will always need money spent on it.

But it is special , it’s fun to take down the road

Price seems ok , just go get it , you will like it
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: