Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Waking Up A Sleeping SB6R
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jaguar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 2:06 pm    Post subject: Waking Up A Sleeping SB6R Reply with quote

So the new to me SB6R showed up over the weekend.

As seems to be rather typical of these bikes, it has been sitting on display for a number of years without running. I plan to do a good service and get it back on the road.

Got the carbs off last night. They should clean up fine.
Ordered a battery.

Did have a few quick questions.
-Does this forum not host images? Since Photobucket ruined the internet, I have not used anything other then forum post hosting. What do you guys use here?

-The front left rotor has hex bolts running through the rivets. This looks like they are there for the speedo pick up? Is this true?

-The VIN for the bike is 10, and the frame has castings for 12/96 and 1/97, but it was registered/titled as a 98. Unsure why.

-Is it worth it to upgrade to a Dyna 2000 ignition?

-120/60-17 and 190/55-17 tires? Anyone run Power RS? I have them on my Ducati and like them.

Thanks for the help.
[/img]
stockcar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes certainly the hex bolts are for the speedo pick-up as for the rest then I'm sure some of the other guys will have more knowledge
stockcar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to add Bimota were notorious for using whatever was to hand so early frame / components registered later would be common fare from what i have been told
Ray916MN

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: Waking Up A Sleeping SB6R Reply with quote

Jaguar wrote:

-The VIN for the bike is 10, and the frame has castings for 12/96 and 1/97, but it was registered/titled as a 98. Unsure why.

ZESSB6009WR000010 is a 1998. I own ZESSB6009VR000010 which is a 1997. W follows V in the alphabet....
Ray916MN

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: Waking Up A Sleeping SB6R Reply with quote

Oops duplicate post

Last edited by Ray916MN on Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jaguar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:34 am    Post subject: Re: Waking Up A Sleeping SB6R Reply with quote

Ray916MN wrote:
Jaguar wrote:

ZESSB6009WR000010 is a 1998. I own ZESSB6009VR000010 which is a 1997. W follows V in the alphabet....

I forgot that the VIN should decode to a year as well.
Good point.
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And dont forget that the Americans apparently like to have frame no 00001....so in USA....each model started on 00001 for each year...so there could be 3 No. 0001's for SB6/SB6R....with as said...V, W, X Y and Z forming the years.....Pukebucket…..images are still there/here IF...you didn't delete your account...as Handy old Admin cooked up a workaround to bring all Pukebucket images back into play...…….I now use "IMGUR"....and its a lot lot better than puke your guts bucket and its free and no annoying pop-ups either....and it has a "code" once you've uploaded images that says "forum" hosting...just click on it and it auto copies....set "size" at the bottom though to "huge or Large thumbnail" and it will adjust to a normal laptop size....
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are Power R's? Tyres are a subjective personal thing....I run Michelin Power Sport Dual Compound on all my bims...but thats because I like them...they dont "whiteline" or "tramline" like Pirellis that for me have a V profile..Michelins are more rounded and bigger contact patch when upright and dont "fall" over when off the V.....

https://imgur.com/
vort28

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Power RS's on a few of my Bim's now , there greeeeat !!
However sb6 has power 3's I think. RS's seem better then the 3's.
190 or 180 , always a question that divides people.
Jaguar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vort28 wrote:
I have Power RS's on a few of my Bim's now , there greeeeat !!
However sb6 has power 3's I think. RS's seem better then the 3's.
190 or 180 , always a question that divides people.

I think the 190 is more common these days.
I wonder if they are coming out with a new version of the RS.
Seems most retailers have them at closeout prices.
Jaguar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
What are Power R's? Tyres are a subjective personal thing....I run Michelin Power Sport Dual Compound on all my bims...but thats because I like them...they dont "whiteline" or "tramline" like Pirellis that for me have a V profile..Michelins are more rounded and bigger contact patch when upright and dont "fall" over when off the V.....

https://imgur.com/

Michelin Power RS is a tire that seems to offer good traction and life.
A fair number of the "vintage" guys like them on older super bikes.
Jaguar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know what the throttle cables cross reference too?
The Bimota part number is not a Suzuki one from what I can tell.
Gammaboy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: Waking Up A Sleeping SB6R Reply with quote

Jaguar wrote:
the frame has castings for 12/96 and 1/97, but it was registered/titled as a 98. Unsure why.

-Is it worth it to upgrade to a Dyna 2000 ignition?

-120/60-17 and 190/55-17 tires? Anyone run Power RS? I have them on my Ducati and like them.

Thanks for the help.

Verlicchi built the frames for Bimota, don't forget that the 6R frame was based on the earlier 6 frame, so it would make sense for the castings that were common to both to have dates back before 6R production started.

Dyna 2000 is ancient, expensive and poorly supported. Fit an Ignitech at half the price, more features and fully programmable. They also come with a plug and play patch loom to adapt to the stock loom.

6Rs list a 120/70 for the front in the parts book. Late 6s and 6Rs list the same front guard, early (95 and earlier build) 6s have a different guard that won't clear a 120/70 properly.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There isnt a lot of point in changing the ignition for road riding. You could fit an advancer. Maybe somewhere that does gsxr tuning parts might still have them.
The best mods for this bike are a suspension overhaul and set up and light wheels if they're the Antera.
Jaguar

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2019 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Suspension will be getting gone through for sure.

What are the wheel options?
Bike has the Antera on there now, I assume they are OEM.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: