Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB9 display startup "messages" and kill switch

View previous topic :: View next topic  
drone1_de

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:43 pm    Post subject: DB9 display startup "messages" and kill switch Reply with quote

Dear all,
finally my DB9 arrived yesterday and I did a first ride, what a pleasure!
But I already have 2 questions

1. The kill switch...is it a real switch with on and off or just a push button? Mine seems to be a push button...or is defective as it does not lock when pushed

2. the startup "messages" like "ub"...what is their meaning???? Is there a list with explanation, couldn´t find anything in the manual

Thanks a lot,
regards,
Lars

MV Agusta Brutale 989R with many custom parts
drone1_de

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not one reply here, yet? Nobody with a DB9 here???

Regards,
Lars

vort28

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are not many later DB owners . That was part of Bimota's problem, struggled to sell DB7/8/9/10/11's.
Few here with DB7's about 3 or 4 at a guess, not sure there are any DB8's , 2 have DB9's and there is one DB10.

Maybe a picture of the message/switch gear might help . Not sure if my DB7 or Tesi 3DN has similar controls/Ecu.
drone1_de

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In this video (20sec) you can see during the startup procedure that "rA" shows up for a second. On my bike I have so far only seen "ub"

https://youtu.be/UKpjX8Jqouc

curious what that stands for...

2bims

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Lars and welcome to the Forum and Bimota ownership...apologies for delay...I've been off the forum for a couple of weeks.

Clocks

They are a Koso RX2N unit still available on ebay...made in South Korea. Start up symbols....they are a code to indicate the wheel size of the bike its fitted to ...thats all...The Clocks are in no way whatsoever linked to the ECU on the bike.....they are a stand alone unit and are linked only with sensors here and there...Oil temp...which is the horizontal bars on the right side.....Air temp.....Low fuel....Neutral indicator, indicators for turn, left and right.....Tacho and speedo and clock....If disconnected and removed it retains the mileage.....It can be switched between reading miles per hour or Kilometeres and then the temp gauge also changes from Celsius reading to farhenheit….

Kill switch....you are correct....this is the "modern" domino made style...its a kill switch that only works when Pushed...it has no off or on position...it resets to off every time you push it....

With the engine running the start button can be pushed and it starts a lap timer......dont worry...it wont reattempt to start your engine...it will just start the lap timer if pushed when the engine is running.

What is the mileage on the clocks?...After some 1500kms a red spanner warning light will light up on the dash and stay on...this is the "warning" light for its first service and oil change.....This light can be extinguished with the engine running you press and hold the start button for some 15 seconds and it magically goes out....it will light up again at 9,000kms or so...its purely on the mileage the bike travels...nothing to do with the engine condition or any reading from the sensor.

Do Not get the clocks wet...unless you have removed them and sealed around the casing joint....as they leak......Normally the back blue light on the speedo this fails very early on but the LCD part still operates fine.....

Do you have any manuals for the bike? I can email scans of the KOSO RX2N operations from a BImota handbook if you like?......The KOSO clocks are quite good....but they are "locked out" by Bimota....new Koso clocks can be set up for many different things and back lights can change colours etc etc....so dont worry if they fail....its around 300 euros for a new KOSO unit...China has also copied them now and sell them for around 40 euros...But....would you buy one?? THey come in two different types....up to 9,000 rpm and up to 12,000rpm depending on what engine you are using them on.

Does you speedo read correctly...normally the factory sets them up badly....there is a speedo sensor reading off either 4 or 5 steel disc bolts on the back brake...the sensor is a koso marked grey plug pushed into the rear brake caliper hanging bolt....Theres a tiny drilled hole with I think a 2mm allen key headed sunken grub screw that holds it in Place....the gap between the back face of the sensor and the bolts is critical...should be around 4mm from memory...too close and it becomes erratic...reading the disc as well as the bolts...Hope this helps
drone1_de

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah...now I know, thanks for all the info!

The bike has 14500km now, no probs with the sensor reading, but good to know where to check if sth fails. Also very good hint on sealing the casing joint, will probably do during winter.
Don´t need any manuals, thanks for the offer, I have all originals from the seller and also the Koso manual is accessible via web.

Best regards,
Lars

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: