Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Ethanol Fuel
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ray916MN

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

v-pilot wrote:
The Acerbis tanks and probably all plastic tanks are made of Nylon 7 (polyheptanamide), which is hygroscopic. ....

I don't believe all plastic tanks are made of the same materials. My experience tells me that tanks which are made to be painted are different than tanks which are color impregnated and not intended to be painted. My experience is my dirtbike tanks don't care what you put in them. I run them with oxy gas all the time and let them sit with oxy gas without a problem. All dirtbikes pretty much run plastic tanks and you don't see dirtbike riders being careful to use non-oxy gas to avoid gas tank problems.

The reason I suspect the Acerbis tanks which are used under tank covers are not susceptible to alcohol the same way my Ducati or Aprilia or painted Bimota tanks are is because, the black Acerbis tanks don't look like the nylon in the other tanks. They look like black dirtbike tanks. If they were all made of the same material, I'd expect them to all look the same inside and if you've ever tried to paint a plastic dirtbike tank it would be clear to you, that the material they are made of is different than the material the painted tanks are made of.

I don't tempt fate with the black Acerbis tanks on my Bimotas mainly because the bikes are carbed and I want the stability of non-oxy gas in these bikes to minimize potential carb problems, but I suspect these tanks will not suffer from the same problems the painted tanks suffer from.
quikduk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My $.02 here. I have Caswell coated my son's 1198 tank as it was obvious it had swelled a little. Drying it out for the repaint project of over 4 months helped a little, however once these clear-ish tanks swell, that is where they tend to remain.

On the DB6, I replaced the original fuel lines with SAE 5/16" (8.3mm) I.D. hoses due to the original ones cracking, likely from Ethanol exposure...however they leaked badly one day (picture self-immolation potential) so I had to change them again.

While the fuel fittings are 8.3mm I.D., I went with a slightly smaller 7mm I.D. German made exterior reinforced fuel hose that is supposedly Ethanol stable. I also used the one time crimp clamps this time and so far no leaks.

The tank is black plastic and I don't necessarily think it has swelled. I did have a bear of a time refastening the back but that might be due to my bracket modification. I measured carefully but could have introduced some additional thickness or offset.

I will say that that Ethanil kit looks interesting, but for the price, I think I could figure out my own using existing supplies as the science isn't that complicated.

For now, I add an Ethanol stabilizer with each tank if being stored.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bimota Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: