Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

A dealer in Preston has three YB11s...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nick H.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:23 am    Post subject: A dealer in Preston has three YB11s... Reply with quote

Morning all, I've just joined. I couldn't help noticing all these YB11s https://twowheelsolutions.co.uk/inventory/?make=bimota&min_price=2000&max_price=80000 The dealer has a couple of other Bimotas, but after reading some topics here I've become convinced that a YB11 would be a practical everyday bike for London use and the odd trip now and then...maybe even some touring. I'll sleep on it and perhaps in the meantime someone here could tell me not to do it!
brian

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum Nick. Plenty of good info on here. The YB11 is a nice bike and practical for a Bimota too, with pillion seat and pegs.

That DB4 looks sexy as hell Cool
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
2bims

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the dealer and the bikes....he will take offers on them if you dont want them MOT'ing or with 3 month warranties....shave up to £1500 off each as he's had them for a few years....you have to book to go and see as he's not always at the unit which is next to a post office sorting warehouse.....DB4 is nice but needs a bit of work as it must have been 3 or 4 years since I went to see all the bims he has....so rear disc rusts up.....he will do deals though
brian

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve got enough DB4’s anyway 2bims Laughing
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any regular travel into London will need to conform to ULEZ rules or be tested to get an exemption. YB11 for some has an odd sitting position so you might need to use peg lowering and/or bar repositioning.
Nick H.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
I know the dealer and the bikes....he will take offers on them if you dont want them MOT'ing or with 3 month warranties....shave up to £1500 off each as he's had them for a few years....you have to book to go and see as he's not always at the unit which is next to a post office sorting warehouse.....DB4 is nice but needs a bit of work as it must have been 3 or 4 years since I went to see all the bims he has....so rear disc rusts up.....he will do deals though

Blimey, why does he keep so many Bims for such a long time? Sounds like the worst possible business plan. How long has he had the YB11s for? And why would the low mileage one be a 2005 bike? Maybe in a collection unregistered for ages?
Nick H.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brian wrote:
Welcome to the forum Nick. Plenty of good info on here. The YB11 is a nice bike and practical for a Bimota too, with pillion seat and pegs.

That DB4 looks sexy as hell Cool

Thanks!

As for looks. I'm not keen on the YB11's graphics. I would probably give it a vinyl wrap. Which might also be beneficial for the longevity of the plastics.
Nick H.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evilchicken0 wrote:
Any regular travel into London will need to conform to ULEZ rules or be tested to get an exemption.

Lots of older bikes are clean enough for ULEZ but they are automatically ruled as dirty because of their age. To get an exemption you can get a certificate of conformance from the manufacturer, showing the emissions achieved by the factory when the model was launched. Or you can go to a testing station to get your bike's emissions measured, and maybe rig the test by giving the bike a dose of a helpful additive http://www.millersoils.co.uk/source/datasheets/Petrol-Power-Ecomax.pdf

Or you can accidentally dangle a lock and chain over your number plate. This is what I do. Been doing it for years because of speed and bus lane cameras. (As a former courier I am sworn never to obey traffic laws.) It also works with congestion charge cameras, which are used to enforce ULEZ. All traffic cameras are defeated and plod hardly ever notices. If he does, it doesn't look like a deliberate ploy to evade the law, so you can talk your way out of it. Worst case is a small fine and no points. Don't tell anyone. This is a special tip for the favoured few.
Nick H.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any bad news about maintenance or spares? Do you have to drop the engine out for minor jobs? Is it getting hard to find someone who can set carbs up?
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2020 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently changing the sparkplugs is tight
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick H. wrote:
2bims wrote:

Blimey, why does he keep so many Bims for such a long time? Sounds like the worst possible business plan. How long has he had the YB11s for? And why would the low mileage one be a 2005 bike? Maybe in a collection unregistered for ages?

Not that it "matters" but the dealer is a very nice and knowledgeable Asian Fellow with a beard.....so maybe by religion he's not allowed to bank money that gains interest as its against his religion......so he banks cash in bikes....he buys up crates of bikes from the likes of Japan and imports and registers them....YB11's got caught up in the Bimota bankruptcy and a fair few new ones sat unloved and unsold for a few years hence the 2005 rego…...As Evilchicken says....middle 2 spark plugs access is an issue.....but...can be removed with engine insitu…...with a thin walled long reach draper socket and a couple of twiddly swivel sockets.....Not an issue.....riding position is strange but comfortable.....they are intended as long range motorway munchers and a fair few folk tour long distances on them
Nick H.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much, that's really helpful.

My friend is a technician - I'm sure he wouldn't have a problem with the plugs. Years ago we raced a carb'd R1 so he might even enjoy the nostalgia trip of an EXUP!

A YB11 sounds just right for me. But I did promise myself my next bike would have all the modern electronic safety aids. The S1000 RR and XR are on my short list. I'll test ride them and have a think.

What else do I need to consider that I haven't asked about??

I know what I want to ask...apart from adjustable controls, are there any ways to improve a YB11? I suppose lighter wheels would be nice, but terribly expensive.
Pillingb

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t know anything about the YB11. Has the 2005 bike got a fuel tank of a slightly different shape?
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a ThunderAce engine so you might find a big bore kit for it and of course 6 gears from a YZF750.
Light wheels because the antera are very heavy.
Yoshi did a pipe for the Ace, no exup but then again it's a 1000cc engine.
Brake master can be upgraded, brake lines will need replacing, you can find billet calipers. Brake discs are iron rich.
Flatslides, might need some fuel tank alterations.
Changing the forks might need a bit of fiddling
vort28

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nick H. wrote:

A YB11 sounds just right for me. But I did promise myself my next bike would have all the modern electronic safety aids. The S1000 RR and XR are on my short list. I'll test ride them and have a think.

There is a huge gulf between a modern BMW and a 90's Bimota to be fare.
Having ridden modern BMW engine and a YB11, they could not be more different.
If you want your bike to start every time, live life in the rain , only get maintained at a main dealer , go-stop-tell you when to put fuel in-when to stop for a coffee - save your arse with electronic gismo's and blend into a crowd then I guess the BMW is for you.
If you like to play with mechanics, wonder at billet machinings , improve to odd Italian fu-bar , feel every snail trail in the tarmac and live life through the seat of your pants , then the YB11 may be for you.
Although as mentioned before and I will say it again just to reinforce the point , they are a very unusual seating position.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bimota Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: