Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Advice and Opinions Wanted on Bim options
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
pkay

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 3:16 am    Post subject: Advice and Opinions Wanted on Bim options Reply with quote

So it looks like we are about to get spoilt for choice here in Oz with Bimota's of all sorts coming at us from different directions. I am keen to add another Bim to the stable and something a bit bigger than the current YB7. I have an YB5 lined up later in the year which I am excited about but I am also keen on something a bit more modern (but not DB8 plus country). So we have coming to market or on the market a:

YB11
SB7
YB9SR

All similar looking machines. There is also an SB6R but I think that's too expensive for my taste. I'd be interested in people's views on the three bikes and which one they think is best and why.
Gammaboy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you want something to stare at? or something to ride?
Gammaboy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

YB9 - It's a 600 supersport. Essentially the same frame as your YB7 but with a bit more motor.

SB7 - a flawed WSB Homologation special. Peaky as a peaky thing, reputedly run like a dog around town. (That's assuming they've found a ECU for it. SB6 tank and GSXR750 WP/WN/WS/WR carbs would be one option, or a microsquirt ecu and some time mapping it.)

YB11 - Always struck me as a sports tourer in comparison.

The CNC work on the YB9 and YB11 (in particular) frames is wonderful.
SB6 and 7 it's dominated by that huge beam. The SB6/SB7 is the best looking of the 4 options though. Not a massive fan of the styling of the YB9, YB11 or SB6R.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you like modding your bikes ?
The YB11 has a bit of an odd seating position but not having ridden one I'm not sure, but you can move the bars down or change the pegs I guess. After that it's a ThunderAce engine so polite tuning and six speed box (yzf750) and some light wheels should see you right. The 51mm dia fork seals are an odd size but I sell them be careful with the pinch bolts if you over tighten them the fork legs crack.

The YB9 is one of the best looking bikes the proportions are just a bit better. The engine is a fzr600r foxeye I believe ... so you could put on the ThunderCat barrels and pistons (they're nikasil lined)

SB7 is desirable but theres the question of the ECU. The bimota injection was early so it might be possible to use a later system from another bike ... but that could be a heap of pain. As Gammaboy says a 750w cdi and a set of carbs should get it running and you could go with flatslides for the win
Gammaboy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 23, 2019 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evilchicken0 wrote:
Do you like modding your bikes ?.

I think all Paul's bikes are bog stock... Not even sure he even likes riding them Razz
Evilchicken0 wrote:
The YB9 is one of the best looking bikes

I just remembered Laminators YB9 in the Gobert scheme, best looking YB9 ever.
pkay

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha - I'll have you know I just registered the Kat and the R1.

Yes not much of a modifier. I have a similar vintage Laverda 750S with fuel injection and works great. Shame Bimota couldn't get it sorted.

And looks like I'm down to 2 choices as the 11 has been sold.
Gammaboy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The injection worked, just the ECU appears to fill with water, and the low down mapping isn't great. Early ones had the pump mounted too far forward in the tank too.
djk

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bimota's placement of the ECU on the SB7 is woeful but as stated in another post where else could it go?

Fueling below 5k is a very jerky affair, above that it definitely has some go to it, i have fitted a power commander to it and it has made it better but not perfect. Had it on two different dyno's and they both came back with 120 peak horsepower at the rear wheel.

And as stated above you don't want to run it too low in the fuel tank either as some have pumps located at the front of the tank. I haven't measured it but it must be in the 2-4 litres range that won't get picked up.

I knew the SB6 existed and thought that was a good looking bike but when i saw the SB7 in all it's purple glory i thought that is a bike i would like to get. For sure it has issues but what Bimota doesn't and for me every time i look at it i still like what i see. Performance is good too for a 90's bike.

Owned a YB11 for ten years and enjoyed riding it, i liked the midrange of the engine, opening it up on the motorway was a good thing, the seating position was okay but did feel slightly odd. Plastics as with some Bimotas tend to crack fairly easily.

Never ridden a YB9 but i do like the look of them and agree with the Gobert comment, that bike looked awesome.
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Jul 24, 2019 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YB9 and SB7 have one piece clam shell fairings....split and prise open and pull over front wheel....YB9 fairing is fibreglass and ruddy thick...takes a he man to take the fairing off...should be far cheaper than the SB7 as very common by Bimota standards...but standard bots and carbs so easier to keep running as no ecu...nice bike...YB11 is split separate panels on fairing but in later plastic so prone to cracking...odd rising position but can ride for miles and miles...SB7 rarer beastie but make sure everything works before buying...have heard horror stories from some owners...especially in the UK...but then our whether means the bikes aren't set up for cold climates...other than the above...i'm with gammaboy on his opnions
pkay

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taken the plunge and made an offer on the YB9 - see what happens. The exotic nature of the SB7 is appealing but I've got enough exotic to fix - something simpler to enjoy is more realistic.
Gammaboy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scaredy cat!
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boooooo…>Should have gone for the SB7....much prettier...…..

Nah....good on ya...nice and sensible......carbs.....Yammie in line 4.....bitch of a fairing to remove but other than that....an easy enough bike to work on

Never ridden one though but should be a belter
vort28

PostPosted: Thu Jul 25, 2019 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Owning any Bimota has its own set of special ' supprise's ' should we say , but best to go with your heart than your head !!
Lets face it, the true ' head ' decision is to buy a Honda etc , so go for the one you like the look of most
The YB9 is very much a 'sit on' type of ride , but far better than the YB11 thats for sure. SB6/7 is more of a ' sit in ' bike. No idea's on price etc , or suitability to SB7 to you climate , but I know which I would have gone for out of the 3.
pkay

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well looks like we are in a holding pattern - didn't like my offer, in fact didn't even respond which given it was only $500 less than he was asking was an interesting outcome. See what happens next I guess and whether anyone actually bids at $8,500.......
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2019 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

8500 is steep for a YB9.....its the cheapest Bimota anyone can buy in Bimota....some have picked them up for £2-3,000 for a runner....£4K is more normal....but....we used to have a good exchange rate against the Euro...gone are those days.....and thats the breaks....some countries have favourable rates and others not...sort of makes each country specific in what they can charge or expect to receive...and...if it can be registered in Oz that must carry a premium??

That place is a little crazy in stripping bikes...buying bikes stripped and not bolting them all back together...selling bikes part stripped yet they have the clothes to put back on....so could achieve better prices if they completed some of them.....spares they sell from broken bikes....real odd packaged stuff...some prices OK some ridiculous and some new parts can be bought for less than 2nd hand parts they try to sell
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bimota Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: