Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

I thought I'd better say...and now seems like a good time

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gavin944888

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:34 am    Post subject: I thought I'd better say...and now seems like a good time Reply with quote

Well....the Manchester 2020 show came and went date wise, if nothing else.

There was no joy or giggles over the Indian poppadoms...there were few suprises....there were upwards of 20 Bimotas to be viewed

There was a bike which was meant to be there ...I finally got the approval to show the bike....but alas...it was not...it is in my opinion ...THE BIMOTA

[img]db11 by bear (as in animal ..not gay idol), on Flickr[/img]

We all have our favourites...DB1 ....MotoCorse SB series....HB1 ....TESI 2D .......KB1....we all have them.

This is my favourite ...the DB11 VLX .....the Supercharger ...the prototype...the only one...it meant so much I even built a replica of it (well....still building actually)

Which one is yours.......you do not have to own it..it is simply a question

regards

Gavin

The Scottish Engineer

Cagiva Elefant 888/955 & adventure sidecar
Cagiva Elefant 999r engined
Cagiva BIMOTA Motard Concept
BIMOTA DB9 (with DB11 rear-end)
BIMOTA DB7-11 VLX MULE (build coming to an end)
BIMOTA DB11 VLX Supercharger
GeeKay

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of the Bimota's I have owned:-

DB2 - sweet bike, made even better with the fitment of a Ducati 916 3-piece fairing.

SB8R - horrible. Usual Bimota trick of taking a great motor and f*cking it up.
Big style.

DB3 - best Bimota by far. Practical, unusual (some say ugly), all-day comfortable, minor "design" issues (easily sorted), only one I miss (really!)

SB6 - got the looks, got the go, got lots of "design" issues (well known).

SB6 will be the last Bimota I will own - and that will be up for sale sometime soon.

It's been a (very) expensive flirtation...................
TVRRICH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SB2, From being a teenager when it came out, poster on the wall etc. Never ridden one and probably never will as they are way out of my price range Crying or Very sad
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:34 pm    Post subject: Favourite Bimota Reply with quote

Having released an SB6R from the shackles of heavy exhaust and even heavier wheels and finding something as nimble as an old 600 underneath, with that prodigious motor - this is my favourite. However, if ever I had come within licking distance of the DB11, I suspect that I would have found that even more of what I've come to love in my old 6R.
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 1:39 pm    Post subject: Favourite Bimota Reply with quote

Having thought about it some more, now I've got my old YB8 fuelling properly - no thanks to Bimota having shipped it with standard FZR Thou carb settings - that is also a favourite, because it was my first. But there is a theme here, i.e. neither of them now bear much resemblance to what was shipped out of Rimini!
2bims

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keen to join in here.....But.....Best Bimota never owned?....Do like the SB2 even though I dont normally like the older Bims....Sb1...Yeh....as per also YB1/2/3....But they are so tiny...I'd look like Giant Haystacks or big Daddy mounting Kylie......And they are pure race bikes and not for the road...but as a trinket....sure.....Owt else?......Tesi2D....brute ugly yet beautiful.....yup

Tesi 2D....made my mind up

Best Bimota ever owned....??…Geekays DB2.....teehee…...
Tirefriar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience with Bimota model range is limited and can be best described as 3-2-1.

3 models ridden, the SB6R got me hooked but to own it was not in the cards.

2 models owned, Bob @ Bimota Spirit proposed a Dieci and I dropped the hammer. Year or so after getting the YB10 the old rule of "you just can't have one" kicked mighty hard and I got my hands on the SB8R but which I later sold.

1 Bimota is my semi regular rider (it shares the duties with 2 other bikes, may 3 if I will ever register the F4)

As for my favorite, I would say either an SB3 or a DB8.
2004 BMW R11S BCR
2010 Ducati Streetfighter 1098 S
vort28

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ridden and owed quite a few Bimota's over the years , not an easy task to single just one out so thought I would create a few sub categories , if thats OK.

My first love with a special place in my heart = SB6 rasberry ripple Very Happy

Bimota most lusted after over the years = Santamonica and Tesi 3 mono.

Bimota that was the biggest surprise in riding experience = Tesi 3D naked , was not overly keen on the style/concept ( a tesi street bike Crying or Very sad ) but it is a great bike and really shows the advantages of the tesi concept.

Bimota that was the biggest let down = DB5R. Has all the right ingredients but just does not seem to be the great bike it could be. Almost just to good TBH , seems to have no character just does what you ask.

Most under rated Bimota = DB4 mono corse kit . This is sort of polar opposite to the DB5R TBH. Has nothing really special about it component wise but has heart and soul by the bucket loads and is great fun to ride at semi legal speeds.

Go to Bimota if sunny and the birds are singing and its just a joy to be alive .= Vdue .
But if the birds are singing heavy Rock = DB7 !!! Laughing
2bims

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going to dish you there vort for not sticking to the principles of "just one"....but upon reading...Yeh....I get it...and am in a similar if not so well stocked smaller boat...DB2 with motocorse pipes and big bore kit...my first bimota love...would maybe be the "last one" to let go...and then...as per your sub sub categories.....each rides different and it can all depend on how bright the sun...the roads to be ridden...the distance...or just how youre feeling...and then...well...thats why you need more than one....or more than five.....Best one?...would have to be Vdue...when running right...but thats the buzz that a Moto GP style 2 stroke 500 gives you.

Db5R?...has yours got the evo engine?...I love mine...DS 1100 twin spark...hate the slipper clutch....yeh...perhaps too refined...makes for an easy yet very capable ride...at least its all still "manual"...no abs or wheelie control...winter settings...track settings etc....DB6R for touring/B roads.....but I suppose a Tesi3D biposto is same but more accomplished.....And yeh...DB4 very under rated...lower seat height....more legroom....bars closer and far comfier than a DB2.....a bike beyond its looks.....So when people say...what would you sell....the answer is easy...none of them....as they all push different buttons for different moods on different days....you didn't mention BB3?

Santa for looks....for me...Borsalino
brian

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite Bimota…. that's a really hard question to answer. I've only ever ridden 2 x Bimotas, but, if I had to choose my favorite Bimota it would be one that as yet I haven't ridden.... DB1. I've always had a 'thing' for the DB1. I'd like to own one eventually, we'll see Rolling Eyes

The two that I have ridden... SB6 and DB4.... love them both for different reasons, most of which have been mentioned previously.

And the 'other' Bimota that I've owned for over a year and still not ridden... DB2J.... this one has now started to receive some love and a resurrection and will hopefully be ridden for the first time in the next few weeks.
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
atomibart

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Favorite Bimotas…Tesi 1D ES...since the first time I saw one
Desmo_Demon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Bimota model that I tend to like the most is the DB2. I have one, and maybe one day I will get it running and start riding again. The bike has been disabled for about eight years and I haven't ridden a motorcycle in almost as many years. Crying or Very sad I still own something like 12 motorcycles, but none of them are running now.
"Map Junkie: My Motorcycle Journeys"
djt77

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first Bimota lust was the SB6, followed by the SB6R, the V Due and to some extent the SB8, at least some of the versions produced.

In the end the DB7 was the turning point, i recall sitting on one at the excel show in London back in the day, right before moving to Australia. When I arrived there was an imported and they cost a fortune, well thats what it feels like, the first i bought was a long journey indeed and to end up with what i have i wouldn't change it for anything. I would like to add a few more but more the modern ones, there a nearly new SB6 locally thats drop dread amazing but too good to be ridden, and anyone who knows me knows my bikes get ridden lol
brian

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2020 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Desmo_Demon wrote:
The Bimota model that I tend to like the most is the DB2. I have one, and maybe one day I will get it running and start riding again. The bike has been disabled for about eight years and I haven't ridden a motorcycle in almost as many years. Crying or Very sad I still own something like 12 motorcycles, but none of them are running now.

Nice to hear from you Desmo!
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
2bims

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2020 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed....."Welcome bak"....it sounds like you need an "intervention"....where someone comes round and gets a few of your bikes up and running
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bimota Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: