Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB2 rebuild: Here we go again!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
2bims

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hindsight wrote:
2bims wrote:
Does the glue go off real quick and set?...

Yes, within minutes, it's fully cooled and hardened.

Cheers Hindsight.....sounds like the way to go....and Hot glue guns are pretty cheap.....I might go OTT though and start sticking tubes of the stuff everywhere melting away.....it looks very therapeutic to use....
welshlamb

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject: Seat update! Reply with quote

Seat foam as taken from bike (and sopping wet!). 980g
Seat foam after 3 day dry out in cupboard............310g

Those little holes in the seat covering had let in 670g of water which is near enough to 670ml of water ;....which is quite a lot. Thats the cheapest weight saving Ill find on this bike that’s for sure!!

still looks crap..... but the side you can see here is next to the seat pan so doesn't matter.
2bims

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You shouldn't be teasing your Mrs like that "Lambie"....asking her where the kitchen weighing scales are....and then not baking her anything other than a Bimota seat base.....Bad on you
welshlamb

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2020 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

with the shortage of baking powder, vanilla essence and dried fruit can you blame me!!
brian

PostPosted: Wed May 27, 2020 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With a weight saving like that, you can afford to have a double serve of scones now..... no not you 2bims Laughing
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
welshlamb

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 11:08 am    Post subject: Ups and downs of resto life! Reply with quote

Well.....
Suspension....powder coater was in 'Vulnerable' grouping so stopped any work until this week. Hopefully ready next week

Frame coater: delayed work at start , then shut down workplace after my frame and bits were half way through. Started up 2 weeks ago and got back on my bits this week (?) but been too long since inital stripping and blasting so back the bits are going for re-blasting and anti corrosion treatment Hopefully end of next week (he says!)

Engine covers: some covers being Cerakoted ...Oven element failed the day after I handed over my parts. Replacement part (from Germany) took 10 days to arrive (was 3 days initially quoted). In the meantime oil leaching out of some of the castings in the oven meant they have twice had to be sent back though the cleaning and oven treatment cycle.

Engine parts coating. Was going to try Dry Ice blasting to remove paint but couldnt get a slot for 4 weeks. As I'm holding up engine rebuild I went for the manual strip down and repaint myself.. Black paint on alt and cluct covers trashes the Ducati legend of flaky paint. F**k it was hard to get off, even laughed at some industrial paint stripper I tried. In the end LOTS of elbow grease and wet and dry, steel wool. Finish isnt as good as an abrasive blast but after much etch primer/primer/sanding and top coats I think they are coming along. Currently waiting for the required laquer to be delivered (Saturday?)

Of course the barrels and heads are another story as its impossible to get really down in between the finning. Much cleaning and drying, as well as the aformentioned 'elbow greas' method is giving me something much better than I had but certainly not concours standard. Real world compromising I'm afraid.

Will keep you all guessing re my engine colours until the engine is back in one piece but not standard!

I'm not blaming the suppliers. Its their busineses that have suffered and continue to do so. You can sense their frustration at the consequences (many in supply chains) that Covid has thrown up in addition to issues with work practices and staff availability.

What a year to tackle a resto!!

PS I watch in envy as Paul Murphy does more in a week than I can in 6 months!....I suspect he has a hidden underground resto factory staffed by overseas guest workers to do all his prep/coating/machining/fabrication? Come on Paul spill the beans!:
welshlamb

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:32 pm    Post subject: Knock, Knock,.... what's there? Reply with quote

Ever wondered what lurks inside a DB2 factory exhaust?

Wonder no more.

three things were interesting/apparent
1) with end cap removed you can see that the ACTUAL exhaust inlet is only 27mm diameter (Vs the much more macho 37mm of the alloy outlet funnel)

2) it is not just a straight through 'absorbtion' type exhaust. The inlets feed into an internal baffle system
3) the wrapping of the mesh c'cage' is a single wrap of Thin material which I think is more heat reflection than sound absorbtion. There is MINIMAL clearance between the cage and the alloy can 'sleeve' , so unlikely it was ever much thicker originally
4)The alloy exhaust cap and the alloy sleeve are the only REMOVABLE parts. All the rest is welded construction (unlike most systems where the alloy cap gives yo access to a bolted up construction.

Not sure where I'll go with the restoration of the exhaust. Plating of exhaust way too expensive (You were right Steve!) and Camcoat ceramic prices seem to have increased substantially since my last DB2 refresh. Cerakote (depending on the coater) is believe it or not a cheaper possibility but not sure if the surfacefinish is good enough to take that) or even if the coater would consider 'dirty' parts. Would also need an oven large enough to fitt in the whole bloody exhaust section.

I may just VHT paint the whole lot all the pipework gold as its now rubbed down and primed (about 100% better than when it started off!). The alloy sleeves should scotchbrite up but I suspect they may have some wierd clear anodised coating on them.

Of course I could blow the pension fund and get some custom Ti pipes made up??

Time to reflect... so to speak.
welshlamb

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:37 pm    Post subject: water, water everywhere!! Reply with quote

You may remember I removed 0.7 litres of water from my seat foam. Not surprisingly the two 'anchor bolts' that go through the seat pan and secure it to the tank seat unit had suffered.

A hours work with a scrap piece of alloy strip and a couple of c/s head screws and I've got a workable replacement. .....next job......?
2bims

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They do have some form of "weird" anodising on the sleeves....of the silencers...but....get a scotch bright disc for an angle grinder....But dont type "grinder" into google......then hand finish with lesser grade scotchbrite pads in one direction of your choice...yup....chromers….law of supply and demand...not many of them around and no one wants to go into the business....prices go only one way
welshlamb

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2020 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I certainly wont put “grinder’ and ‘hand finish’ in the same search!
welshlamb

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the biggest or most difficult step but here are the fasteners for the rebuild, button heads, standard and 'low head' capscrews. In the end I sourced the fasteners and then got the them yellow passivated zinc plated: about 400 pieces in total as I got enough for 3 bikes!

Standard head items could be sourced zinc plated so just needed cleaning and passivating but all the 'low heads' were 'self colour' so needed plating and then passivated.

Some of the low heads (but not all) could be sourced passivated, but only in Qty of 200 off! Couldn't find lower packaged qtys.

Very happy with the results.
welshlamb

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:02 pm    Post subject: Gaining friction Reply with quote

Front and rear discs were pretty mank looking as received

Now all ready for rebuild.
Front discs cleaned and plated, with re-anodised centres (badly and unevenly faded/stained) and new wave washers and 'E' circlips.
Rear disc is NOS (thanks Steve) with new fasteners (see previous post)

Now just need to build the recoated wheels up and get these mounted.

Love the rear carriers on these things.

Interesting to note that looking at 4 different disc carriers they all show different tooling paths (and hence final visible pattern) from when they were CNC milled. Different machines, batches, operators? Who knows ..but its another indication of the low volume nature of Bimota production. (have also seen similar issue with the rear brake caliper carrier)

Last edited by welshlamb on Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
welshlamb

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
You shouldn't be teasing your Mrs like that "Lambie"....asking her where the kitchen weighing scales are....and then not baking her anything other than a Bimota seat base.....Bad on you

and unfortunately she was out when I needed to 'borrow' the oven a little later! Cyl head surprise!

hindsight

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm very impressed with how those front discs have come out. What was the cleaning procedure you used on them - did you have them skimmed before they were replated?
welshlamb

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scotchbrite wheel then fine emery and then very fine media blast. Finally zinc plated and passivated as per originals. No measurable reduction in thickness and I can even read the original markings around the rim of the disc! I know the zinc passivation will wear off very quickly but the only way I could think to get the non contact areas back to (near) OE. The disc carrier plating was Camcoat Diamondyze, which should resist the brake dust and general front wheel crap better (and seems to give a slightly deeper finish)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: