Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

oil leak
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:57 pm    Post subject: Oil leak Reply with quote

I spoke to Oberon way back and they weren’t able to do anything then. But maybe they’ve broadened their range. Given that this is presumably a problem for 6’s as well as 6R’s, I’m surprised that somebody hasn’t come up with a fix, or maybe they have & they’re keeping it to themselves!

My worst sprocket nut took a breaker bar and a 6 foot scaffold bar. When it finally gave in, it went off like a gunshot - I was sure I’d done something an irreparable mischief, but fortunately not. Here’s a question for you: is there an M6 bolt & washer on the end of the output shaft, in case the nut comes loose - which would seem a pretty remote prospect!?
Chrissb6

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: Oil leak Reply with quote

Jonny B Bad wrote:
I spoke to Oberon way back and they weren’t able to do anything then. But maybe they’ve broadened their range. Given that this is presumably a problem for 6’s as well as 6R’s, I’m surprised that somebody hasn’t come up with a fix, or maybe they have & they’re keeping it to themselves!

My worst sprocket nut took a breaker bar and a 6 foot scaffold bar. When it finally gave in, it went off like a gunshot - I was sure I’d done something an irreparable mischief, but fortunately not. Here’s a question for you: is there an M6 bolt & washer on the end of the output shaft, in case the nut comes loose - which would seem a pretty remote prospect!?
Morning, yes there is a bolt locking mechanism for the sprocket nut on the output shaft. Hope Oberon come good, there kit looks top draw
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 1:34 pm    Post subject: Oil leak Reply with quote

Thanks. Has your nut yielded yet?
Yes the Oberon kit does look good. I guess the best we could hope for is that they would take your housing and make a bespoke cylinder to fit, with a more standardised piston of say 28mm. The expense would be design and setting up the cnc machine to cut them out. It’ll be interesting to see if they think it’s worth it for the size of market it would be aimed at. I guess there’s no more than 1000 6’s & 6R’s still on the road. Having said that, the smaller slave would allow anybody with a Suzuki that uses the original slave to use a smaller master, requiring less effort at the lever.
Chrissb6

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leak Reply with quote

Jonny B Bad wrote:
Thanks. Has your nut yielded yet?
Yes the Oberon kit does look good. I guess the best we could hope for is that they would take your housing and make a bespoke cylinder to fit, with a more standardised piston of say 28mm. The expense would be design and setting up the cnc machine to cut them out. It’ll be interesting to see if they think it’s worth it for the size of market it would be aimed at. I guess there’s no more than 1000 6’s & 6R’s still on the road. Having said that, the smaller slave would allow anybody with a Suzuki that uses the original slave to use a smaller master, requiring less effort at the lever.
Hi Jonny, lm going to hang fire in dropping the engine until replacement parts arrive "Garage is getting chaotic" . How did you manage to get all that leverage onto that sprocket nut with it in situe? Ive got access to some heavy gear should it be needed. Regarding hydraulic issues l also have a Honda CBX 1000, the brakes were really bad, l stripped, cleaned and service them and still no good, you'd break your wrist trying to stop it. Bumped into guy at the TT and started talking bike stuff. He told me the stock master cylinder piston for the brakes was to big and to get a replacement aftermarket unit which has has smaller piston, with this fitted the brakes have been transformed. My good lady passed her test last year she's now the proud owner of a Ducati Scramber, so that's also played into me getting the Bimota road worthy again.
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 4:03 pm    Post subject: Oil leak Reply with quote

I’ve cut a 32mm socket down with an angle grinder - it’s now about 24mm long. Once the breaker bar is on you’ve got just enough clearance between the nut & the frame to get it on the nut. Then I jam a bit of wood between the breaker bar & the frame, so the sawn-off socket won’t come off the nut. Then I eat 2 tins of spinach, light my pipe and get at it Laughing

Yes, hydraulics are all about ratios - too big a master and you’ll need more spinach each time you want to pull the lever. Too small a master and you won’t move the slave far enough to disengage the clutch.

Good luck when you get to it & keep us posted as to whether Oberon comes up trumps.
Chrissb6

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leak Reply with quote

Jonny B Bad wrote:
I’ve cut a 32mm socket down with an angle grinder - it’s now about 24mm long. Once the breaker bar is on you’ve got just enough clearance between the nut & the frame to get it on the nut. Then I jam a bit of wood between the breaker bar & the frame, so the sawn-off socket won’t come off the nut. Then I eat 2 tins of spinach, light my pipe and get at it Laughing

Yes, hydraulics are all about ratios - too big a master and you’ll need more spinach each time you want to pull the lever. Too small a master and you won’t move the slave far enough to disengage the clutch.

Good luck when you get to it & keep us posted as to whether Oberon comes up trumps.

Hi Johnny, having not had a responce from Oberon and being told that the majority of there staff have been laid off work i've decieded to go ahead and start the search for the oil leak. Ive taken everything off including the carbs and loosened the front engine bolts and removed the the 2 rear engine mounting fixings in a bid to swing the motor down from the rear. It's not playing ball, have l overlooked something here? Not one for getting heavy handed, always been taught if lt's hard I'm doing it wrong, and if not sure ask. Appriciate and pointers or trick to enable me to go forwards, I have a workshop manual somewhere in the house but the good lady has had a tidy up
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 11:12 pm    Post subject: Oil leak Reply with quote

There is a 1cm thick ally spacer which slides between the frame and the motor as part of the upper rear mounting. This kind of wedges the motor in place, even after the pin has been taken out. Give it a whack with a mallet and wooden drift. Once it’s loose, the motor should swing down.
Chrissb6

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leak Reply with quote

Jonny B Bad wrote:
There is a 1cm thick ally spacer which slides between the frame and the motor as part of the upper rear mounting. This kind of wedges the motor in place, even after the pin has been taken out. Give it a whack with a mallet and wooden drift. Once it’s loose, the motor should swing down.

Hi Johnny, l managed to get in there today and get the job done, Not a trace of sealant found on the starter clutch cover so that been taken care of. Also managed to change out the drive sprocket, and yes it was tight with tread lock on it !!
Now working my way back out, have say those cables look a little on the small side that power the starter motor, l might seriously think of upgrading those being that there's quite a long run to the motor from the battery and starter solenoid. Thanks for your help mate will keep you posted.
Chrissb6

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Oil leak Reply with quote

Jonny B Bad wrote:

Hi Johnny, l managed to get in there today and get the job done, Not a trace of sealant found on the starter clutch cover so that been taken care of. Also managed to change out the drive sprocket, and yes it was tight with tread lock on it !!
Now working my way back out, have say those cables look a little on the small side that power the starter motor, l might seriously think of upgrading those being that there's quite a long run to the motor from the battery and starter solenoid. Thanks for your help mate will keep you posted.
Chrissb6

Jonny B Bad wrote:

Chrissb6

Jonny B Bad wrote:

Chrissb6

Jonny B Bad wrote:

Chrissb6

Jonny B Bad wrote:

Chrissb6

Jonny B Bad wrote:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: