Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

SB8R fuelling sorted
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeeKay

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: SB8R fuelling sorted Reply with quote

just got my SB8R back from having a PC3 fitted and mapped on the dyno and what a difference!
Fuelling is absolutely perfect - no glitches at all and it starts easily and ticks over too!
Max power before / after:-

at 20% - 27.23 / 39.48
at 40% - 56.88 / 62.92
at 100% - 109.82 / 120.62

plus it's gained (or recovered) an extra 1000 revs at the top end - I'll post the graphs when I receive them to show just how far out the fuelling was!
Big thanks to Chris and especially Dave who did all the PC3 and dyno work and rectified the burnt-out sections of wiring.
Highly recommended!!!

http://www.chrisgunster.co.uk/
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always nice when something gets sorted out
Pompey

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like the dyno guys did you proud! That must feel like a totally different bike to ride! Laughing Laughing
oily

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those figures tell their own story.....
As Pompey say's must feel like another bike Wink
GeeKay

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pompey wrote:
Sounds like the dyno guys did you proud! That must feel like a totally different bike to ride! Laughing Laughing

Yes indeed - so much better that I am now keeping it! Very Happy
GeeKay

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the graphs - check the (blue) fuelling traces to see how much fuel it was dumping in at low revs!

at 20%

at 40%

Pompey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing So... get up to 7 thou, kick up with a quickshifter and hold on. Perfect. Laughing
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why the SB8 has such big airscoops - it was an early in air refuling concept Smile
mortsta

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i took my scoops off and have gone naked-do you thing it would make any difference?
i did a dyno run and got 120hp
zombie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The air scoops should make the air more dense at high speed as the air box is properly sealed - so there should be some real positive air pressure in the air box especially over 100mph.

In theory you would need to aim for a slightly richer mix at speed to compensate for this. Can't really do this on the rolling road.

Having said that I can't see your original maps showing any increase in fuel-air ratio as the engine speed increases.
nflpats

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which PCIII did you end up using? I heard that the Triumph 955 uses same connectors. Also, what mods do you have?
GeeKay

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nflpats wrote:
Which PCIII did you end up using? I heard that the Triumph 955 uses same connectors. Also, what mods do you have?

you have a pm.
daotoys1

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you tell us which Power Commander you used?

If you know the part number of what bike it was originally made to fit?

There are a lot of SB8 owners who would greatly appreciate this info so they can clean up the fueling.

As you well know the BIMOTA "Fuel Trimmer" and/or the adjustable potentiometer that did the same job, only lets you roughly influence the fuel mixture +/- 2% per setting. It does not let you fine tune the fuel air mix over the rpm range like other system can.

Ive heard a number of different SB8 owner try to sort the low to mid range on the bike but usually with mixed results.

When I have discussed this with BIMOTA dealers , and 2 different BIMOTA importers, the story is that the bike is designed for mid to high rpm and thus has the giant 59mm throttle bodies. And due to this feature smoothing out lower rpm running is difficult if not impossible.

The microtech ECU that is on the bike is programable but where does one get the needed equipment and computer hard/soft wares to adjust it???

When Suzuki was doing R&D for running a big twin in WSB, they went to 61mm throttle bodies and suffered the same fueling issues.

The SB8K Santa Monica is "detuned" by using smaller 52mm throttle bodies plus the rotating injection system and if I understand it correctly that the Santa Monica does not have the fueling issues the SB8R/SB8RS did/does.

Good thread, thank you for the info, please get back to us with the details we need to try the same mods on our bike(s).

Sincerely

Doug
nflpats

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will be speaking with Dusty at Dyno Jet about installing and mapping a Power Commander III for the SB8R. He did a great job with my MV several years ago. They are only 10 miles from my house and next week I will be riding my bike over there to TRY and convince him to map one for our bikes. Let me know if anyone is interested in buying a PCIII however it will be mapped for a full Moto Corse system. I dont have the stock cans anymore. For those who don't know, Dyno Jet is the makers of the Power Commanders.
Brad

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 10:30 am    Post subject: Microtech Reply with quote

I think the Velocity Race turbo kits for Busa's use Microtech ECU's to drive a second rail of injectors.If they are micro tech then DSD 01702 542426 or Big CC 01189 776744 maybe able to help with mapping.

Update I just looked the software and both the Companies above have used the Micro tech stuff to map 500bhp turbo's so a straight forward aspirated map should be within their capabilities Smile Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: