Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

DB2 weights et al....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
welshlamb

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:49 pm    Post subject: DB2 weights et al.... Reply with quote

In the spirit of Colin Chapman at Lotus whose philosophy was to ....'add lightness'; whilst stripping my DB2 I've tried to weigh components as I go and see what potential there is . Ignoring about a kilo of crud from initial cleaning, the following is where I have got to with only a couple of weighst that I want to double check (standard fairing (in rafters!) and Carbs (tucked away at the moment)

[ I know heading says kg and should be grams, but it was such a pain getting the data from Excel to this page you'll just have to ignore that! Also the font has translated too small! ) anyway..........

I haven't been able to weigh just the engine yet (need to find a friendly large scales!) and would also be inetrested if anyone has acually wieghed their DB2 as currently I''ve only got the Bimota Manual total bike weights for a comparison.

I'm hoping with my rebuild to take at least 10kg-15Kg off the standard weight. Main areas for focus are engine flywheel and clutch assy, battery, wheels, exhaust, fairing (It will be a half fairing) and ditching the airbox (FCRs fitted). It will be interesing to see how much I actually acheive. Combined with some extra poke from the engine (aiming for 95RWHP?) it should release the inner spirit of the DB2 (I hope)...if not its at least kept me busy during a shite year and stopped me spending (wasting) money on much else!!
Bud977

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2020 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very comprehensive exercise. Well done. I reckon the 10-15kg would be achievable. On my YB8, I saved 8kg on the fairing and seat, with the raceglass being 2kg per piece instead of the stock 6kg. 2.5kg with the lithium battery. Can't remember how much lighter the R1 wheels were, but it was a good few kgs. Plus there were plenty of items removed for the race bike.

On an aside, have you looked inside your TDMR carbs? I've got a set of TDMR 41s on my SRAD GSXR750, fitted with the Yoshimura spray needles. Do yours have the two main jets - a main jet and the 'powerjet'?
welshlamb

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2020 10:14 pm    Post subject: And more kilos! Reply with quote

And just measured another part or the list. The two heat shields together weigh over 800g? They are SS and quite heavy. Reckon a single custom shield (Fibreglass or alloy) with a heat shield material would be way lighter. One to add to the ‘possibles’ list

Sorry I havent looked in detail at the carbs yet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> DB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: