Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

YB11 Coolant Change

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rich

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 10:51 am    Post subject: YB11 Coolant Change Reply with quote

Hi All, I would like to change the coolant in my YB11, but can't see any drain points. Has anyone had a go at this job themselves and can give me a few pointers and if there are any traps for young players that I should be aware off?

Thanks Rich Smile
philfingers

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm sure there's a drain in the water pump housing on the LHS of the engine. 8mm headed bolt. . ..
03 YB11, 03 Aprilia RSVR Edwards, 94 Ducati Superlight III, 95 Honda NC30, 04 Ducati 999S, 91 kawasaki KR1-S C2, 91 Ducati 851 USD Strada, 89 ZXR750H1, 90 ZXR400H1, 205 16v Rally Car, A6 2.7TDI Avant, STM R1 engined Phoenix
bimotanige

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich
I did mine at the weekend, Best place to split the system is the big hose on the nearside at the bottom by the rear sprocket and remove the rad cap. There are two small drains on each side of the cylinder block - small 8mm bolts. When I took these out the water was like brown soup!! I then used a hosepipe to backflush the system through every hole until it ran clean. I cant remember if there is a drain on the pump but I didnt need it. I then reconnected and filled up, ran the engine and kept topping up until no more bubbles appeared at the cap. I then had a 10 minute run on the bike and repeated the above but used antifreeze mix to refill - this gets all the muck out! Very Happy
Rich

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome.Thanks for the info, sounds easy and I have spotted the drains you mentioned. Will have a bash at it this weekend. Rich. Very Happy
bimotanige

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich did you get the coolant changed ok? Very Happy
Rich

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Coolant changed Ok but have discovered that my radiator cap has seen better days. I am having a lot of trouble finding a replacement for what looks like a fairly standard item Question The closest I have found is off a KTM, but it is rated at 1.4 whereas the original is 1.2. Not sure if this will be a problem or not?? Bike is still sitting under the house with fairings off. Crying or Very sad Anyone have any suggestions?
bimotanige

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rich
I'll have a look at mine to see what it says. Does a new standard Yamaha one fit? Nige
Ynot

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rich,
I bought a yamaha thunderace radiator cap thinking Bimota had to have fitted a Yamaha cap. But now I find the new cap is not the right item. Did you or anyone else ever identify what the correct radiator cap was? Thanks.
Rich

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ynot, No I was unable to find a replacement cap. I just carefully cleaned the rust off mine and painted it and it seems to be holding OK.

Cheers Rich.
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Fri Mar 01, 2013 12:01 am    Post subject: YB11 Coolant change Reply with quote

If it's a neck on a hose like the SB6R you won't be finding a replacement. You need to get somebody to make you a new neck up that will take a readily available cap.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> YB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: