Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Cat D insurance?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pompey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject: Cat D insurance? Reply with quote

So, there is a cat d insurance SB6 on ebay that looks OK and seems like an honest description... Question, how much do we think the cat d effects its cost price? Cosmetic only damage. I know to a dealer it means it cant be financed and that it cant be removed from the register. But, the truth is it has no effect on the bike... or does it? Thoughts please and would you throw 4 k at it? Cheers, from the man on the fence ( unusually for me )
vort28

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The chap says he has pictures of the damage , so that may make you feel better about the actual content of the damage. I know someone years ago whose SB fell off the stand. Because the bike was cosmetically not in the best condition he fancied a respray , so claimed on the insurance. As the fairing was damaged and not available as a new item , the bike was cat D'd , so he bought it back , had it sprayed and was a few grand better off . and a happy chap. Would I buy a cat D , YES , would I give 4k , NO .
There will always be the same questions when/if you come to sell it , with the same scratching off heads and soul searching.
Personally I would make J&S a silly offer for theirs , and live with the yellow. They have got to be desperate to sell it.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's nice enought but it really depends on what you want. I'd say £4k would be ok for a good SB6 but not necessarily a Cat D one.

I told him it was a mark 3 but he's looked at the Bim Enthusiasts review to get the 1 of 22. I though the Mk2 was the separate clocks with carbon surround, Machi wheels and red colour scheme with the Mk3 having Anchor wheels and a Graphite colour sheme.
oily

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Contrary to belief, The "D" category can be removed but is rarely financially viable and definitely a pain and in the case of this bike.......At Least 25% overpriced due to the cat d Wink

Don't forget, as has already been mentioned, a cat anything will always affect the resale value and drastically narrow the market when you come to sell it unless you have it removed from the register.
If it was cat d'd due to being an un-economical repair, that should be (just) a very expensive formality.

Would I buy a cat d ?
Yes....as long as the price was right Wink
CBar

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure that the 1st production run of bikes came in both series 1 and 2 paint schemes. The 2nd production run included all 3 color series and they included the upgrades.
Pompey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am with you on this Oily... figure it would never be one to keep for investment with the polished frame etc, but would be great fun to own to ride it and not care how many miles its doing etc. Just depends on the cost. Will keep you posted as always. Cheers chaps. Laughing
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBar wrote:
I'm pretty sure that the 1st production run of bikes came in both series 1 and 2 paint schemes. The 2nd production run included all 3 color series and they included the upgrades.

First series had the H section 3 three spoke wheels and GSX-R clocks with Bimota faces. Rasberry ripple colours

Second series Machisini wheels and split clocks with carbon surround strenghtened seat unit. Red with graphite flashses.

Third (maybe) series Antera wheels split clocks. Graphite with red flashes

Last series ... black colour scheme (and that's about all I know about them)

Because the Rasberry Ripple was the most popular colours for the bike they often get resprayed in that scheme. In fact it's difficult to think of a better one.
CBar

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. So what do I have?

White/Red/Carbon paint, Marchesini wheels, Carbon dash. The frame was manufactured in '95 and has a '96 VIN. The original sticker under the seat has a '95 date on it.

I assume that the Series 1 paint was still available on the later production batches.

I don't know how accurate the bimota-enthusiats.com is, but they state:

A second batch of SB6's made in 1995 made some minor modifications. Rear Body shell re enforced by 3 layers of carbon fibre, re enforced muffler supports, Marchesini wheels, and carbon dashboard & easier to read dials.
Colourings - Three sets of colouring.
Series 1 - White, Red & Carbon with the legend "SB6" was red & carbon.
Series 2 - Dark Grey & Red, with the "SB6" logo in white.
Series 3 - Dark Grey only, with the "SB6" logo in white.
Performance - Top speed of 275.5 Kph and a quarter mile at 10.64 seconds.
Production - A total of 1144 SB6's were built.
Series 1 - 790.
Series 2 - 332.
Series 3 - 22.

My point is that 'Series' only applies to the colors, not production batches (only 2). Am I missing something?
MARTIN

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the obscure world of Bimota Confused

From the research I have tried to accumulate,be it the internet,books
or magazines,most of what you have stated is correct about
series 1 - 2 - 3.

Colour scheme seem to be the main distinguisher between series,there
were other slight mods/upgrades.

Problem occurs in how the Bimota production line ran in the last years
they tended to use what ever inventory was lying around to produce
completed bikes, hence how frame numbering sometimes is a bit obscure.

My Bim as far as I care is a series 2 ( dark gray and red original colour)
but it has antera wheels,frame number is in the high end.

So if yours is original red,white it would be by all indications be a series 1
probably more so if frame number is below 790

(00) SB6 (95) HD FXDWG STRETCH (01)GSXR1000K1
oily

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And just to throw another anomaly into the works..........
My 6 must be one of the last hand full built, having a frame number way above the amount of SB6's allegedly built AND it's in the red/white/carbon colours Laughing
To date, I have found evidence of two others built after mine both in Europe Wink
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I said the RED / White / Carbon or Rasberry Ripple is the most popular colourscheme and if your bike has ever had a respray chances are it's that one which is why you find it on later bikes.

You missed a colour scheme out, it's the reverse of the Graphite scheme, Red with Grey flashes, so if your "series" is based on colour schemes then there are 4.

oily

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's very difficult to turn a NON raspberry into an authentic raspberry due to the carbon fibre on show Wink
Mine hasn't had a respray so if it didn't come in this colour scheme originally,
a previous owner has gone to the great expense of changing the whole body work Wink
vort28

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I ordered mine many years ago , I was told my the importer at the time , I could have any of the colour schemes.
Pompey

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that is the best explanation. Bimota may well have allowed importers to offer colour choice from factory. Its not unknown, Triumph did it in 1996/97 to promote their new 595 sports bike. They also, amazingly, offered you a choice of frame options from highly polished to brushed alloy look and powder coated! My bet would be on attempts by the factory to be as adaptable as they could in the later days of the sb6 production to keep the sales going of a product that kept them afloat?
oily

PostPosted: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the last days of the SB6 production, they were probably parts bin specials.
Thrown together with whatever parts were lying about the stores Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bimota Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: