Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

SB8K Gobert LE On Fire then rebuilt Phase 2!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zombie

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2010 10:51 pm    Post subject: SB8K Gobert LE On Fire then rebuilt Phase 2! Reply with quote

Hi all,
Please see some more pix of the almost finished Gobert LE.

The rear end fairing is now polished raw carbon fibre and the number plate is the genuine carbon item...both items provided thanks to Ezio Rosboch at Rosmoto who supplied everything for the rebuild.

Left side....

Right side...

Left Rear

Only a few more things to do now...then VIC test and it should be back on the road...
djt77

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 12:44 am    Post subject: sweet Reply with quote

Well done it looks stunning already. Bet you can't wait to get out and ride the thing.
zombie

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! Yes the bet is a winner Laughing
mortsta

PostPosted: Fri Nov 26, 2010 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

got any pix of the air intake setup?
look sensational..
zombie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have pix and a vid of the radial injectors in action on my todo list.....will post soon...
zombie

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
As you know I have a rebuilt SB8K after it caught on fire, due to massive overfueling which seemed to collect in one of the silencers. My bike was not very even after the rebuild- erratic you could say, so i have been trying to improve it. It has even tried to set fire to itself again.

I replaced the injectors recently. (If you're an SB8K owner looking for spares the model is very common and has lots of automotive applications, it is a marelli IWP069 http://www.magneti-marelli.com/product.php?id=146

When I was doing the changeover, I found long sliver in metal settled in the body of back cylinder injector, it was poking out of the top and looked like steel or ally swarf about 2cm long same cylinder as the silencer where the fire started. My guess is that it is what caused the fire - perhaps by lodging itself in the injector nozzle and making it stay open.

Funny how you can miss these things and be wise after the event. To be fair it is a bit of a fluke since the swarf must have been on the fuel route after the fuel filter, maybe a by product of machining the injector manifolds. Never seen it before - anyone else?

I am uploading a large video at the moment and will post it. I made it before I cured this problem, in response to Mortsa's request toi show how the air intake works. In the context of knowing about the sharp strand of swarf on the jet, watch out for the back cylinder misfire, then the petrol really pouring through the jet - more so than the front cylinder.

The purpose of the vid was originally meant to show the radial shower injectors+solenoid in action, plus my fuel pressure regulator mod.

The autofocus is not what it should be but anyway, here is the vid enjoy...

Cheers Zombie.

[img][/img][url]
vort28

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that an SB8RS in the background ? How do you rate the K to the R/RS ?

If I was looking for an SB8 is the K worth the extra ?
zombie

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2011 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Vort,
They are chalk and cheese, and I would not say I am the greatest instrument for assessing a bike.

My impression though is the SB8K feels alot less racy than the SB8R. It is a very comfortable bike to ride with lots of space and it feels very light. Despite the lightness and manoeuvrability it is fast and stable.

The SB8RS is all of those things but to a less extent. It is slightly more restricted in riding position and doesn't let you move around much in the seat/pegs/arm positions. On the +ve side the 8R feels like it has a lower CofG, maybe because the seat seems lower down.

The SB8RS is a more thrilling bike to ride but the SB8K is more civilised and faster and maybe you get the feeling it keeps everything in shape better.

As mentioned on the forum somewhere, the throttle bodies on the RS are way oversized which means the fueling is focused on full bore power rather than across the range smoothness. The K has smoothness all the way through the range. The torque curve is very flat, in fact I am told by NLM that the Italian advertising campaign phrase of choice was that it "makes torque like a diesel" needless to say this was not used by NLM who were importers at the time.

The 8R looks a bit more radical with its unusual scoop, loads of Carbon, and it looks aggresive, the 8K looks more like it is trying to appeal to the sense of elegance IMHO. The 8K is all carbon but most of it is painted over.

Having said all of that I really don't know which bike I prefer. On an icy/slippery day I would probably pick the K though as it is generally more predictable/easy to control.

..until it catches fire that is Laughing ....seriously though I am pretty sure the fire was a fluke caused by the swarf blocking open the injector see earlier Rolling Eyes so don't let it put you off if you want a K.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: