Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Brembo master cylinders
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Quackers

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just put the motor back in the frame (not the easiest thing I've ever done) & got round to bleeding the clutch. Nothing difficult about bleeding a clutch, but no success after several hours of faffing around. With the reservoir full and the reservoir cap off, there's hardly any fluid being pushed through the system when the clutch lever is pulled back to the bar. Elevating the reservoir so it's higher than the banjo bolt makes no difference. It seems to me like the seals have gone (or are on their way out) but its difficult to be sure - the motor's been out for about 4 months & all was well prior to that (it didn't even suffer from clutch drag - & it definitely doesn't at the moment!). So, I'm asking for some advice just in case there is a technique for bleeding the clutch that is unique to Brembo.

In the event that a re-seal is needed.......I've looked at the Brembo site & had a peek on the Ducati Forum (sorry about that). It seems that reseal kits haven't been available for some time, although Mdina Italia seem to have some & Bevel Heaven are advertising many & varied 916/996 m/cylinders that look similar + some reseal kits.

I guess I'm not the first to have to fit new seals in an SB6 Brembo m/cylinder sooooooo.......who does reseal kits, or which seal kit fits from another bike , or which m/cylinder from another bike will fit (presuming they're available "new" & won't break the bank) or am I on my own (i.e. down the radial route)?
Jonny B Bad

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:38 pm    Post subject: Bembo Master Cylinders Reply with quote

Have you taken a look at the slave cylinder? The seal down there is prone to going.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.modeperformance.co.uk/mode_performance/index.html Page 12 bottom right "looks" similar but I don't know the ratio

My slave has had a auto bleed nipple fitted, I wouldn't mind a radial master but I don't think it really matters on the clutch
akito-man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got that radial brake lever- peace of piss to bleed due to the fact air rises, and theres a bleed point on the cylinder, dot 5 was in my wing, but drain it and flush if standing for a while as it totaly gummed up every part of the brakes on it with crystal deposits! Syringe the fluid through on your clutch oily! Then bleed proper the next day! So the air locks move up the lines, another tip is to tape up the levers back to the grip leaving the passage open , this works 9 times outa 10! Good bleedin luck;)!
brian

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same trouble bleeding my sb6 clutch. The only way i could get any sucess was to pressure bleed it. I think i ended up opening the bleed screw and just putting a very low amount of air pressure into the master cylinder resevoir while sealing it with my hand. This was enough to get the fluid to push through the M/C and flow to the slave. Be VERY careful not to splash brake fluid onto your paint work!

Brian
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
oily

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, been there done that Laughing

I think the problem lies in the fact that the slave cylinder piston is pushed right in so the fluid gets pushed down the pipe and straight out of the bleed nipple Wink

I always bleed the clutch BEFORE I fit the engine because, as you know, you can't get at the slave cylinder with the engine fitted Shocked

I think the way to go is as Brian suggests and use some pressure on the master Wink
Once you get the piston moving, your away Wink
Sb6R fighter
Sb6 or Sb7 WANTED
mainstone41

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Brembo master cylinders Reply with quote

oily wrote:
I've always found it to be a right royal pain bleeding Brembo master cylinders. Never have a problem with anything else just Brembo.
Been trying to bleed the clutch on a SB6 with limited success.
Any of you clever guys got any tips to make it easier?

Have you tried to reverse bleed the clutch? I just use a cheap new oiling can (fill with dot 4) and a piece of hose, crack the bleed nipple and push the fluid back up into the mc.
oily

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Brembo master cylinders Reply with quote

mainstone41 wrote:
oily wrote:
I've always found it to be a right royal pain bleeding Brembo master cylinders. Never have a problem with anything else just Brembo.
Been trying to bleed the clutch on a SB6 with limited success.
Any of you clever guys got any tips to make it easier?

Have you tried to reverse bleed the clutch? I just use a cheap new oiling can (fill with dot 4) and a piece of hose, crack the bleed nipple and push the fluid back up into the mc.

Yeah, bought a box of big syringes just for the purpose of bleeding clutches and brakes but the easiest method i found...........

.........Just spend several hundred pounds on radial master cylinders Laughing

Cool
Sb6R fighter
Sb6 or Sb7 WANTED
Pompey

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmmmm, pretty .....
mainstone41

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drool!
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they come with reserviors or is that extra ?
oily

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep......extra Wink
Sb6R fighter
Sb6 or Sb7 WANTED
Quackers

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies.

Johnny B Bad - good thought, but it's definitely the master cyl.

Brian - great suggestion. I'll give it a go, & will try & avoid ejaculating brake fluid everywhere (anyone like Steel Panther's "If you really, really love me"? It makes me laugh every time I hear it).

Oily - Mmmm. If the slave piston is stuck as well I'll really be pi**ed off. Haven't got that far yet since the m/cyl clearly isn't behaving at the moment. Also, I'm in love with the radial set. A couple of hundred? A bargain (cough).

Mainstone 41 - I hadn't thought of that. If pressure bleeding doesn't work it's next on my list. Ta.

Evilchuck - Ta. You've provided a Plan B. Although....are we all sure that the 916/996/998 SPS/R m/cyl isn't the same?
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as you have the same ratio then they should be "similar".

Just a thought - do you have a spare caliper hanging around ??? or use the rear from the bike. Connect it up and if the master moves it then you you know it's the slave that's gone. It could save a lot of dosh.
oily

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the "spare" master i've replaced with the radial. I've even got a new black master if you need to borrow something to eliminate yours Wink
Sb6R fighter
Sb6 or Sb7 WANTED
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: