Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

BIMOTA resale values....question(s).

View previous topic :: View next topic  
daotoys1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:38 pm    Post subject: BIMOTA resale values....question(s). Reply with quote

In looking for peoples general feeling about the best way to maximize the value/resale value of used BIMOTAs.

Is a BIMOTA worth more if upgraded with accessories or left in OEM/stock condition?

If a BIMOTA owner modifies his bike ( upgraded exhaust, wheels, brakes, .....), how important is it to keep the OEM/stock parts that you replace ( to keep with the bike so it can be returned to OEM/stock condition)?

Another way to ask the question: If you modify a BIMOTA and do not keep the OEM/stock take off parts, do you lower the value/resale value of the bike?

I can see that if you keep any/all take off parts you can sell the bike in its modified state, or it can be returned to OEM/stock condition. Also you increase the potential number of buyers because not everyone ones a customized bike ( and some buyers are actually looking to buy stock condition bikes....for a collection for example).

One of the reasons I bring up this topic is because in my experience BIMOTAs are some what unique. First of all they are a extremely low production manufacturer. But in my experience I find that many BIMOTA importers and dealers, and of course also owners upgrade and customize their bikes. The BIMOTA USA importer Bob Smith for example frequently modified the BIMOTAs that he sold out of his Moto Point dealership. And I know that the majority of these upgraded BIMOTAs were sold as is ( in modified condition) without the take off parts included. So in the USA there are alot of upgraded BIMOTAs that were made that way at the importers. In a way you could say that these bikes were/are "Special Order" or "Limited Edition" models.

I know that at one point in time the German BIMOTA importer modified one or 2 BIMOTA models into semi naked or "Nuda" models. If I remember correctly they did this with the YB11, and the SB6R models.

This brings me to the ultimate reason for my bringing up these questions; If I change one of my BIMOTAs how important is it that I keep the OEM/stock take off parts???

Thanks for any replays and/or thoughts along these lines.

Happy New Years to every one.....Best of Health and Prosperity Smile
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess it will depend on the buyer and there are 2 main types the Modders and Purists

For me modding isn't a problem and if a bike is moddified it adds desirability to it (the value might be a different story). If on the otherhand I was looking at a zero mile bike then I'd expect it to be original.

The Nuda's were bankrupt stock which hadn't had the fairings fitted at the factory they were never an official bike. They look a bit rubbish and home made but that's my oppinion
Pompey

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best reason to keep OE parts is to show that the bike was not involved in a crash which prompted the mod in the first place ... especially front forks , bodywork and wheels etc... Would I buy a modified bike?, absolutely! Thats because I buy bikes to ride and not tuck away in a showroom with zero miles. Those buyers should go for stock to show authentic condition as a museum piece and are an important part of saving biking heritage, and good luck to them.

I would say Bimota's are no different to every other make, condition and history are the most important factors in value with out factoring in availability and historic provenance. look at the RC30, great race bike but in standard road trim its well below par and yet we all know what an original low mileage example can go for?

A DB7 would be great to own but imagine finding a HB1 in a barn somewhere? No matter how bad condition which one would be worth more?
daotoys1

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pompey wrote:
The best reason to keep OE parts is to show that the bike was not involved in a crash which prompted the mod in the first place ... especially front forks , bodywork and wheels etc... Would I buy a modified bike?, absolutely! Thats because I buy bikes to ride and not tuck away in a showroom with zero miles. Those buyers should go for stock to show authentic condition as a museum piece and are an important part of saving biking heritage, and good luck to them.

I would say Bimota's are no different to every other make, condition and history are the most important factors in value with out factoring in availability and historic provenance. look at the RC30, great race bike but in standard road trim its well below par and yet we all know what an original low mileage example can go for?

A DB7 would be great to own but imagine finding a HB1 in a barn somewhere? No matter how bad condition which one would be worth more?

You bring up a very good point; regarding keeping OEM/stock take off parts to prove lack of damage from accidents and/or dropping the bike. I can see where this might especially apply to keeping the stock body work since this is often damaged even by dropping the bike in the garage/drive way.

I dont know how important it is to keep other items as proof of and "accident free bike", but I can see where this is a good argument to keep the take off parts.

My general feeling about upgrading a bike components is basically this; If Im improving the performance of the bike without radically changing its looks, I think that this is a good thing. But if you go so far as to radically change the looks and/or configuration of the bike then you run the risk of decreasing the desirability and value of the bike.

If you are making a "replica" of a well known BIMOTA ( such as a race bike or well known custom bike), I think you are also OK.

Personally most all my upgrades include things like; titanium replacement of all fasteners/hardware, magnesium and/or aluminum racing wheels ( or carbon), GP brakes, race spec suspension, racing exhaust, and thing of this nature. Generally I try to keep the bike looking either the same as stock, or similar to a well know race bike of the same model.

Thanks for the replys....I hope more people joint in the discussion.

Smile
GeeKay

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I was looking to buy a bike that came equipped with say, uprated brakes and suspension and a "race" exhaust, I wouldn't expect to pay any more for it than if it was fitted with standard fare.
To put it in perspective - my SB8R fuelling was worse than awful. I spent a lot of money getting it sorted, so it runs perfectly. Could I add the cost of this remedial work to the sale price of the bike? I think not. Would I return the bike to as-it-was and sell the bike with it's standard fit equipment for "market value"? No.
If I chose to fit blingy little levers, an iridium screen and cover it in anodised tat, I sure had better keep the OEM bits for when I come to sell it! Very Happy
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2011 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeeKay wrote:
To put it in perspective - my SB8R fuelling was worse than awful. I spent a lot of money getting it sorted, so it runs perfectly. Could I add the cost of this remedial work to the sale price of the bike? I think not. Would I return the bike to as-it-was and sell the bike with it's standard fit equipment for "market value"? No.

But put it another way - would you buy a sorted SB8 other an Unsorted one ??? The sorted one is more desirable so if it was £500 more than the other it would be worth it.

Brakes ... well if I saw billet calipers rather than standard I'd be happier too, and if they had a radial master better still and it would be worth a bit too.

Personally I sell on the stuff I'm not using especially in the case of brakes, the seals will go off and the part will be worthless.

Daotoys1 - if you've finished with the original fasteners I'll have them.
vort28

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me radial masters etc are an improvement , originals kept purely as they are worthless. Other improvements eg exhaust have been fitted , and originals only kept for MOT's.
Hopefully some time soon I will remove original bodywork from bikes(sb6/yb11/db4) and store , replace with carbon replica , as the bike is definately worth more with original bodywork.
I have carbon wheels , and again originals stored, and spare new forks.
OK , so they take up space , but for me a modified bike is not worth the original plus the cost of the mods , but if you sell the bike STANDARD some of the modified parts will be worth nearly what I paid for them. Not like you see BST/Dymag carbon wheels on ebay with Bimota fitment very often !
philfingers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for me subtle mods are ok but a clean and tidy std bike will always hold it's value. I would put it back to stock and sell the additional mods seperately. For me an original bike is worth more. Especially with Bim's the parts are hard to get anyway.
03 YB11, 03 Aprilia RSVR Edwards, 94 Ducati Superlight III, 95 Honda NC30, 04 Ducati 999S, 91 kawasaki KR1-S C2, 91 Ducati 851 USD Strada, 89 ZXR750H1, 90 ZXR400H1, 205 16v Rally Car, A6 2.7TDI Avant, STM R1 engined Phoenix
2bims

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 5:56 pm    Post subject: mod or stock Reply with quote

I think you have all summed it up, it only really matters depending on whoever buys the bike whenever you sell, whether they sit it in the lounge or actually ride it. Mods are for riders so Hip Hooray, stock for the lounge/glass cabinet, but what a waste, but each to their own. I think we all know that modding will never add the value of what was spent, Bimota ownership is an addiction, and as such expense and value take second place in the mind
oily

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2011 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: mod or stock Reply with quote

2bims wrote:
Bimota ownership is an addiction, and as such expense and value take second place in the mind

That sounds like something Jeremy Clarkson would say if he was into bikes Laughing

Your quote is very sad..................................
but true Wink
MARTIN

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can be "original" without going, as a psychiatrist will say, anal.
Reading classic mototcycle mechanics, you get stories about people
who want everything original, including ,dare say the air in the tyres.

There are tales about individuals who spent hundreds of pounds on the
metal covers that used to surround spark plug suppression caps on early
70 jap motorcycles,just to be totally original.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

Guess that why my bike,house,wife,dog is better than yours Laughing

(00) SB6 (95) HD FXDWG STRETCH (01)GSXR1000K1
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MARTIN wrote:
You can be "original" without going, as a psychiatrist There are tales about individuals who spent hundreds of pounds on the
metal covers that used to surround spark plug suppression caps on early
70 jap motorcycles,just to be totally original.

Honda 400/4 ???
MARTIN

PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil hope your not the dude,if you are, you have way to much money !!

Another though on the subject of resale. I would rather see a fat history/info file with the bike,showing the owner or previous owners appreciated what they had and took care of, rather than the fact that the bike may have the correct stickers.

Here is as good as place as any,to print out any tech answers about which Bimbo you may have,for your histrory/info file, details can also be obtained of where/whom to contact if you need anything else.

(00) SB6 (95) HD FXDWG STRETCH (01)GSXR1000K1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> Bimota Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: