Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Honda CR750 Project

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulDB2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:32 pm    Post subject: Honda CR750 Project Reply with quote

2bims has been wanting to see some photos of my CR750 project so I thought I would share with the forum. Maybe a bit before most of the forums time but my first big bike was in the mid 1970's, a Honda CB750 kitted out with the full Read Titan cafe racer kit, full fairing, big tank, single seat, rear sets, 4-1 exhaust, alloy rims etc. This was followed by a CB750 powered Dresda-Honda, easily the best handling bike I have ridden. After seeing a supposed replica of the 1970 Daytona 200 winning Honda at the Manchester show a few years ago, I decided to try to relive my youth and build my own version. Despite filling my garage with a stalled Ford GT40 replica build (another saga), an increasing collection of Bimotas, I took the plunge and acquired a CB750 K2 frame and K1 engine. As my garage was stuffed I decided to allow Andy Smith (Bimota KB1 and Heron Suzuki XR41 owner) of Good-Bits to do the build, he has a great knowledge of CB750s and his 750 ridden by Rob Wittey had won two CRMC championships beating many later, larger-engined and more powerful machines.

Mine will not be a faithful replica but incorporate sensible and practical improvements whilst trying to retain the ethos of a classic machine.
First the disasters.
Engine number one

Should have checked underneath the sprocket cover, beneath the grime was impact damage from a broken drive chain which had been repaired in situ welding across the crankcase halves!

Engine number two

This one looked OK until Andy took it apart and discovered the huge hole (another broken chain) had been cleverly disguised with an Araldite type filler. Crank was also damaged beyond repair.
Finally managed to buy a good set of crankcases and Andy has built a decent engine from the salvaged good parts.

Making progress

Andy is building a series of five bikes and mine is the third (CR3)

Lightened and modified rear hub and brake, cannot justify £3500 plus for a replica magnesium twin leading shoe rear brake! Rear shocks are custom YSS built to Andy's spec. Difficult to find decent modern shocks that retain a period look.

Modified front hub, drilled Honda discs, Lockheed calipers (came from my 900 Ducati NCR project which now has Brembos). The forks are 37mm (up from standard 35mm) and have four bolt bottom caps like the works CR forks.

Custom billet yokes with AP Racing master cylinder

Brmm-brmm noises courtesy of Andy!

Dash and tacho, Smiths oil pressure gauge to fill blank hole

The head didn't require too much work, staying with standard valve sizes (I won't be racing it!), will have a CX3 camshaft and breathe through Keihin CR29 carburettors

Engine cleaned up well. It will be fitted with special Good-Bits narrow alternator cover, junking the standard alternator, with a custom made generator. I thought about running a total loss ignition system but need to retain the starter motor as my knee won't cope with the kick starter. Internally is one of Andy's lightened and polished clubman cranks and an 836 piston kit. Ignition is a Dyna unit with Dyna coils.

Working out where the exhaust needs to be positioned. My exhausts are actually on the table underneath the bike, these have the welded seams showing like the original. going to be a sod to fit as I need the foot pegs lower than normal so I can get on it! Andy tried to steer me towards a 4-1 but though it would be easier to fit and quieten, I felt it needed the 4-4 as it is such a feature of the original CRs.

I would have liked to stay with the original Daytona Honda colour scheme but it is to me an uninspiring bronze colour and every other replica has done it. I thought about going the classic 1960s works Honda colours, red tank and seat, silver fairing with yellow flash, but I now have another colour in mind, watch this space!

It has taken a while to get to where we are, much longer than I had hoped, but it should be complete soon (you reading this Andy? Smile )
stockcar

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking very nice....
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool - shame about the cases

You seem to be into the retro stuff - Ive got a mate with period MV350 fairing for grabs if you know antbody
brian

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an awesome build Paul.I recommend putting a decent drive chain on it Wink
'99 DB4 #104, '96 SB6 #1165, '94 DB2 J #652, '99 DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, '94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, '61 BSA A10 650, '89 ZXR750, '91 Ducati 851
who

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice build. Cool

Who made your yolks? They look a bit like RC30?
PaulDB2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2018 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated.

The yokes are custom items from Good-Bits.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> General Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: