Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Bobbins for Brembo 320mm floaters...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
whybeeten

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:28 pm    Post subject: Bobbins for Brembo 320mm floaters... Reply with quote

For anyone who's experienced difficulty getting their fully floating front discs through an MOT because of excessive rattle etc,i've managed to find a source of Brembo replacement bobbins,i've just ordered a set for my Dieci,not sure if they will stop all the loose play ,i'm told that its not just the bobbins that wear but the soft aluminium carrier as well,if it stops the rattle when i'm wheeling it up the drive i'll be happy! ...apparently a small amount of lateral play is OK but any radial play is a no-no,and these have loads Shocked
<www.moto-racing.co.uk>

I'll let you know what difference they make.

Last edited by whybeeten on Wed Jun 01, 2011 4:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
oily

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you ever get them

http://forum.oldskoolsuzuki.info/cgi-bin/Yabb/YaBB.pl?num=1294395898/2#2

Fingers crossed for you, they may have cleaned up their act or you might be blessed with exceptional luck Wink
whybeeten

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooooops!.....just read your link Oily,does'nt look promising,i guess i should have done a bit more research,do you know of any other suppliers of these bobbins in case these do'nt show?
oily

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, no.
Have you actualy taken a bobbin out yet to check where the wear is?
If it's the carrier thats worn then you'll need oversize bobbins anyway.
I looked into having a batch of stainless bobbins made but when I'd sorced the circlips and wave washers, it worked out at about the same as a shiny pair of "Braking" discs Wink
whybeeten

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes i had the discs off at the weekend,the bobbins should be 14mm on the bearing surface,mine are @13.6mm measured with a micrometer,doesnt seem like a lot of wear,its difficult to measure wear on the alloy carrier,but they dont look too worn,i shimmed the bobbins when i re-fitted them and that took most of the lateral play out but has'nt really affected the radial play,i do'nt really fancy having to fork out the best part of £600 for a new pair of discs unless i really have to Wink
oily

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know what your saying with the £600
I've got a pair of genuine brembo 320mm that have only done 1500 miles and had to persuade the MOT tester that all Brembo discs have that huge amount of play. Out of the 4 sets of discs I've got, the most worn pair were dangerously worn after about 7000miles so I replaced them with a pair of "Braking" discs from Germany. Better than Brembo as there is next to no float and no rattle. Performance is about the same with no rust and only £400
bluedog59

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fitted a pair of Spondons when mine wore out. End of problem and a good price.
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you look at the "fully floating braking systems" part of the MOT website you'll see they mention free play.
http://www.motuk.co.uk/mcmanual_320.htm

When my discs were condemed by a garage I sent them to Stealth Engineering who replaced the spring washers which did the trick.

You could also try Mode Performance http://www.modeperformance.co.uk/DOWNLOADS/MD_PROD_2010_DOWNLOAD.pdf for all brembo stuff. They made me a pair of discs with unique offset disc dia and fully floating, they were £390.
CBar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe try replacing the wave/pressure washer or add a 2nd washer to take out the play. This should take care of most of the rattle.

oily

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allegedly, PDQ can get hold of bobbins for you Wink

http://www.pdq1.co.uk/contact.php

Wink
philfingers

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's an American Ducati website that lists the bobbins. they're the same discs on my YB11 as my 94 Ducati 900 Superlight.
My Duc has done 21k and still passes it's MOT, find someone who knows about bikes for the MOT, my guy used to race bikes and knows that this is how they are.
At my first MOT for the YB11 at 653miles the tester was going to fail it. . . . they were like new! I don't use the brakes Smile
03 YB11, 03 Aprilia RSVR Edwards, 94 Ducati Superlight III, 95 Honda NC30, 04 Ducati 999S, 91 kawasaki KR1-S C2, 91 Ducati 851 USD Strada, 89 ZXR750H1, 90 ZXR400H1, 205 16v Rally Car, A6 2.7TDI Avant, STM R1 engined Phoenix
bimotanige

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

guys I was chatting with the PFM brake guy at the TT. They are based on the Isle of Man, their brakes do not have bobbins but a large circlp which retains the rotor in place eliminating the play. Worth a look at, also on the HPS site, as this basically eliminates the bobbin issue. These look the dogs and are used by many road racing teams, anyone used them at all??
Evilchicken0

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The thing with iron rich discs is they need to expand quite a bit so you need to have the tollerance on the bobbins. I wouldn't fit another washer inside the circlip for that reason.
oily

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evilchicken0 wrote:
The thing with iron rich discs is they need to expand quite a bit so you need to have the tollerance on the bobbins. I wouldn't fit another washer inside the circlip for that reason.

But it's only the roter that is ductile iron, the carrier is alloy which has a totally different expansion rate. I've checked the play on my 1500mile discs when they are extremely hot and they still rattle like a good un Crying or Very sad

Most of the wear appears to be on the bobbins so perhaps they are too soft?

I, for one am getting a little annoyed at the amount of rattle that comes from Brembo discs. It appears that other makes seem to NOT have this problem Wink

Been looking into (again) having a batch of stainless bobbins made but everyone I approach wants me to order 1000 or more Crying or Very sad

With 24 to a set I need to shift 41.5 sets which is a bit extreme as I only need three sets IF they work
whybeeten

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done quite a bit of searching over the last few weeks,trying to find a source for these brembo alloy bobbins in the UK and apart from placing an order with the site i mentioned earlier (no sign of the goods yet Oily Embarassed),i have had no luck until i looked at the bobbins used on my next door neighbours BMW,they appear to be identical in dimension to the brembo ones although not alloy,they look like stainless steel,and delving further i looked at the Motobins BMW spares catalogue and lo and behold they sell bobbin kits ,12 bobbins in a kit together with the pressure washer and circlip for about £20!....thinking this too good to be true i visited their depot as its only about 20 miles from me,and inspected and measured a set just to be sure,everything looked Ok and the guy said they were made by GRIMECA i must admit they did look to be excellent quality items so i bought a couple of sets,spent the morning fitting them to my discs and the difference in play is staggering!...the old brembo bobbs were only about .004'' smaller than the new ones but i suppose the combination of 12 on one disc has a cumulative effect on the play.

I know that these items are GRIMECA and not BREMBO but i'm prepared to live with the unoriginality for the absence of rattle ,it was starting to get on my nerves,there is still a small amount of lateral movement but nothing like before.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> YB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: