Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Another new BB1 owner, with questions for parts

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> BB Series / Vort.....
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonyMarjoram

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:58 am    Post subject: Another new BB1 owner, with questions for parts Reply with quote

I just bought two 1996 BB1s - one a Biposto, the other a Mono, mostly. It is not as though I need any more projects, but who doesn't, and who can resist a pretty bike, especially a rare and tempting pedigree Italian. They can't vibrate any more than Triton? And won't that be good for my aging bones, if I can get my legs up to those high footrests? Both bikes came via Queensland from Japan and the 1990 bubble economy, and both need a few parts, esp the Mono.

The Biposto came with seat/tank cover and fairing+screen, less fuel tank and headlights. The Mono came less seat/tank cover, fairing, fuel tank, air box, radiator+fan+header tank, gear linkage, rear brake pedal cut short (why?). Both need footrest rubbers.

I am thinking of getting the Biposto ready for the road when it reaches 25 in a couple of years (historic club registration in Victoria, Australia) and making the Mono into a track bike - with filter pods and re-jetted, maybe with tank/fuel cell on top (where the airbox was - anyone know of fuel cells that might fit?), original or Czech body panels (they look good).

I have been studying the Bimota BB1 forum, and very informative it is - many thanks everyone. I would be most grateful of help with the parts mentioned above, or how I can identify part numbers and obtain Bimota parts, or where they came from. The BB1 is part BMW F650 and Rotax, and shares parts with the Aprilia Pegaso and Gilera 125 (I have mirror/indicators but no lenses or front struts) and what else? I can make turned parts on my lathe and do a bit of milling, but not that exquisite Bimota CNC stuff!

I am particularly keen to get at least one fuel tank (and external pump - what can be adapted?), a radiator/fan/pipes and header tank (where do these come from?), brake pedal and master cylinder (same as some Ducati?), gear linkage and rose joint (where from?).

Questions, questions. Is it possible to change the sprocket retaining circlip shaft to a later nut/bolt model? The chain line certainly looks as though it could have been refined - the upper swing arm shows signs of contact on one of my bikes, the other has a teflon cover. Does a 20tooth sprocket fit, the 17T looks close and an 18T is the biggest on sale?

many thanks for your thoughts and comments. I'll be back.

Cheers

Tony
djk

PostPosted: Fri Jun 28, 2019 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My local importer has just brought in three Biposto's , two with zero km's on them and one with 8000kms, one is missing a fuel tank and another is missing a couple of parts but his intention is to make two complete bikes out of the three and sell them. He may have some of the parts left over that you require.
He only got these bikes a few days ago along with a container of other bikes and he is also due another container in 2 weeks so cant see him doing anything with these bikes for a little bit of time but it could be worth contacting him to see what he could have in the future. His site is marcoimports.co.nz, on his homepage there is a list of bikes he has just got in and there is some photos of one of the BB1's.
brian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motoforza do bodywork. I’ve never used motoforza so can't comment on the quality os service.

Did you ask Centrepoint Wholesale if they had any other BB1 Parts’s? They seemed to have lots of random BB1 parts there
Current motorcycles - '99 Bimota DB4 #104, '96 Bimota SB6 #1165, ‘94 Bimota DB2 J #652, '99 Bimota DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, ‘94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, ‘61 BSA A10 650
brian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.motoforzafairings.com/bimota-bb1-supermono/?offsetcount=12
Current motorcycles - '99 Bimota DB4 #104, '96 Bimota SB6 #1165, ‘94 Bimota DB2 J #652, '99 Bimota DB4 #088, '08 VTX1800, '93 ZXR750R M1, '95 ZXR750, '95 ZXR750 Race Bike, ‘94 CBR400rr NC29 Race Bike, '94 CB250, '49 BSA C10 250, ‘61 BSA A10 650
vort28

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad someone bought them, was toying with getting them exported to UK!!

There are pictures of BB1's on the net with fuel cells in the ' normal ' position but these always seem to be one off alloy tanks , not sure were you would put electrics/airbox.
I've seen the odd original fuel cell come up for sale in Japan .
TonyMarjoram

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello everybody,

Many thanks for your thoughts and comments. My plans for the BB1s remain about the same - one for the road and the other a track/special. So I still need an original underslung tank. The special will have electrics relocated to an alum panel where the radiator expansion tank usually is, airbox removed, rejetted carbs and pods and a fuel cell in that space. Expansion tank also relocated.

I am in contact with CentrePoint and they have some parts, but report that many parts were already 'borrowed' in Japan. It seems a lot of BB1s were exported to Japan in the later 90s, and are now leaking out. Including some brand new/nos. So keep looking in that direction.

I was thinking Motoforza and contacted them, but shipping such large boxes outside Europe is a problem, apparently. We will see on that.

Was also thinking of a Lithium rather than heavy battery - but in the battery box surrounded by the hot oil tank? Lithiums are not keen on that. Perhaps an oil cooler too? Perhaps lithium battery somewhere else? There are some nice pics on this forum that inspire innovation.

It seems there is a shortage of Bim/BB1 footrest rubbers - maybe I should think about reproducing.

Happy Bimotoring.

Tony
Anders

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2019 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Another new BB1 owner, with questions for parts Reply with quote

TonyMarjoram wrote:

I am particularly keen to get at least one fuel tank (and external pump - what can be adapted?), a radiator/fan/pipes and header tank (where do these come from?), brake pedal and master cylinder (same as some Ducati?), gear linkage and rose joint (where from?).

Questions, questions. Is it possible to change the sprocket retaining circlip shaft to a later nut/bolt model? The chain line certainly looks as though it could have been refined - the upper swing arm shows signs of contact on one of my bikes, the other has a teflon cover. Does a 20tooth sprocket fit, the 17T looks close and an 18T is the biggest on sale?
Tony

The OEM tank has an internal pump off the early 916.

I don't know, but would guess that the radiator and fan is off the F650. I don't know what you mean by header tank, but if it's the small expansion tank for the water, it is a Bimota part, connected directly to the oil tank.

The brake pedal is a Bimota part, while the master cylinder most likely is a std Brembo item. When I crashed my bb1 at a track years ago, I made up a set of rearsets / pedals as originals are hard to come by.

Why would you like to replace the gearbox shaft? I have had no problems with the circlip system in 20 years (and perhaps 20000km). Yes, a 20t sprocket fits, I use it on my bike (with a lower primary gearing). The swingarm definetly needs the teflon / nylon / POM cover, as the chain line touches the front of the swingarm if the "small" OEM sprocket is used. The problem is that the OEM chain slider gets worn quite rapidly, but new ones are available.

TonyMarjoram wrote:

Was also thinking of a Lithium rather than heavy battery - but in the battery box surrounded by the hot oil tank? Lithiums are not keen on that. Perhaps an oil cooler too? Perhaps lithium battery somewhere else? There are some nice pics on this forum that inspire innovation.

I use a LiFePo4 battery (from Durbahn) in mine, but keep it away from the oil tank. http://durbahn.de/Durbahn-Shop/shop.durbahn.de/shop/de/products/Batterien_superleicht_%21/_A123_LiFePower-Durbahn.html
I haven't really made a fixing for it, I just pack it in some foam and push it into the void above the carbs (2x36 Dell'Orto with FCR stacks and pod filters)
vort28 wrote:

There are pictures of BB1's on the net with fuel cells in the ' normal ' position but these always seem to be one off alloy tanks , not sure were you would put electrics/airbox.

I have also seen these pictures. If someone has a source for such a fuel cell (or drawings / parts) I would be interested. The OEM tank is heavy. Team Pami / Gottfried Michels built a racer with a CF tak "on top", shaped exactly like the original tank cover. They hung an aluminium oil tank under the motor. There may be some images of this bike on the net as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> BB Series / Vort..... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: