Bimota Forum Forum Index Bimota Forum
Forum for Bimota Owners and Riders
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in  

Waking Up A Sleeping SB6R
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Ray916MN



Joined: 29 Apr 2015
Posts: 61
Location: Orono, MN

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaguar wrote:
Anyone know what the throttle cables cross reference too?
The Bimota part number is not a Suzuki one from what I can tell.


I'd measure the cables up and figure out what ends are on them and contact Motion Pro. If they can't match them out of their catalog, they'll be happy to make a set.

Jaguar wrote:
Suspension will be getting gone through for sure.

What are the wheel options?
Bike has the Antera on there now, I assume they are OEM.


Dymag makes a CF wheel for the SB6R and maybe some wheels in other materials for the bike. I've been buying wheels from Harwood Performance Source (https://www.bikehps.com) in the UK. Cheaper than buying them in the U.S. and the customer service is incredible. I bought a set of Dymag CF wheels for my DB2 EF and the front didn't fit and we couldn't figure out exactly what would work. They paid to have the original wheel shipped to Dymag so the correct wheel could be identified, and paid to have the wheel shipped back, paid for the return of the incorrect wheel and paid to ship the correct replacement. I doubt a U.S. vendor would provide this level of support. Dymag CF wheels for the SB6R are about $2700 including to the shipping at current exchange rates. Last week at the depths of Boris Johnson's Brexit machinations they were $2600. Weight savings is something like 15lbs. !!!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Evilchicken0



Joined: 12 May 2010
Posts: 2951
Location: London

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2019 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaguar wrote:
Suspension will be getting gone through for sure.

What are the wheel options?
Bike has the Antera on there now, I assume they are OEM.

Yes Antera were oem.
The best would be Dymag carbon. Expensive but once you look at secondhand and the cost of modifying them you might as well bite the bullet its saves a lot of time and hassle.

I used PDQ to service the forks and shock
_________________
Don't read everything you believe
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jaguar



Joined: 15 Sep 2017
Posts: 137
Location: Albany NY

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been plugging away.

Took all the body work off for a deep clean.

-New battery installed and everything seems to be working as it should.
-Confirmed that the mileage was correct as listed.
-Drained the oil and changed the filter (OEM Filter). Oil looked new, but was a few years old. Funny that the bodywork says one weight of oil, but the engine cap says another. Unsure of the exact amount to use. Will just add oil while on a padock stand and see.
-Carbs are cleaned. Just waiting on gaskets.
-Throttle cable will be going off to be replicated.
-New spark plugs

Thinking that I need to pull the masters and at the very least flush them with fresh fluid.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
2bims



Joined: 03 Apr 2010
Posts: 6491

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray916MN wrote:
Jaguar wrote:
Anyone know what the throttle cables cross reference too?
The Bimota part number is not a Suzuki one from what I can tell.


I'd measure the cables up and figure out what ends are on them and contact Motion Pro. If they can't match them out of their catalog, they'll be happy to make a set.

Jaguar wrote:
Suspension will be getting gone through for sure.

What are the wheel options?
Bike has the Antera on there now, I assume they are OEM.


Dymag makes a CF wheel for the SB6R and maybe some wheels in other materials for the bike. I've been buying wheels from Harwood Performance Source (https://www.bikehps.com) in the UK. Cheaper than buying them in the U.S. and the customer service is incredible. I bought a set of Dymag CF wheels for my DB2 EF and the front didn't fit and we couldn't figure out exactly what would work. They paid to have the original wheel shipped to Dymag so the correct wheel could be identified, and paid to have the wheel shipped back, paid for the return of the incorrect wheel and paid to ship the correct replacement. I doubt a U.S. vendor would provide this level of support. Dymag CF wheels for the SB6R are about $2700 including to the shipping at current exchange rates. Last week at the depths of Boris Johnson's Brexit machinations they were $2600. Weight savings is something like 15lbs. !!!


I think its all part of Boris's plan....devalue the pound throughout the world...and everyone starts buying from the UK.....and UK folk stop buying from the rest of the World...good for the economy....

Difference in wheels maybe because you have the DB2FE...presumably that had Antera wheels on it and flat brembo discs and not deep dished cast iron full floater brembos....which use a smaller hub than the antera wheel up front….as opposed to Oscom wheels for all other DB2's.....and thus they should have supplied wheels as for "DB4"...which would have had the same set-up/….Have heard good reports before re Dymag as opposed to BST....often they get the Vdue carbon wheels wrong with spacers...because 2 types of swingarm were fitted and Dymag know this....BST didn't.....Bimotas being "bespoke"...doesnt half cause trouble with small differences in parts used here and there
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Evilchicken0



Joined: 12 May 2010
Posts: 2951
Location: London

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The oil capacity will be on the clutch cover - not that you can see it.
MAC make a stubby 1/4 ratchet which is useful for the oil filler
http://www.mactools.co.uk/rate-mac-tools-products/14-drive-4-mini-pear-flex-head-ratchet-72-tooth
_________________
Don't read everything you believe
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jaguar



Joined: 15 Sep 2017
Posts: 137
Location: Albany NY

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carbs should be going back on today.

Anyone know the needle settings?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jaguar



Joined: 15 Sep 2017
Posts: 137
Location: Albany NY

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ordered 190/55 rear tire instead of the stock 190/50.

Will I have fitment issues?
I head many of the gsxr guys claiming to like the handling of the 55 better then the 50.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Evilchicken0



Joined: 12 May 2010
Posts: 2951
Location: London

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe put some spacers under the hugger.

It's a big tyre for a 5.5" rear wheel, of course you could of just raised the rear a bit using the adjustable suspension. A gixxer mod is to put a 5mm washer under the top shock mount
_________________
Don't read everything you believe
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jaguar



Joined: 15 Sep 2017
Posts: 137
Location: Albany NY

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evilchicken0 wrote:
Maybe put some spacers under the hugger.

It's a big tyre for a 5.5" rear wheel, of course you could of just raised the rear a bit using the adjustable suspension. A gixxer mod is to put a 5mm washer under the top shock mount


Think it will need the spacers?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Bud977



Joined: 03 Mar 2013
Posts: 433
Location: Sydney

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 200 slick on a 6" rim on my YB8. After cooling down in the pits, the bike wouldn't roll because the melted rubber on the side of the tyre glued itself to the hugger. Shocked Very Happy

The moral of the story is check the side clearance to the hugger.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ray916MN



Joined: 29 Apr 2015
Posts: 61
Location: Orono, MN

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evilchicken0 wrote:
Maybe put some spacers under the hugger.

It's a big tyre for a 5.5" rear wheel, of course you could of just raised the rear a bit using the adjustable suspension. A gixxer mod is to put a 5mm washer under the top shock mount


May be I'm missing something here, but how is raising the rear going to change the clearance between the tire and hugger when both the wheel and hugger are attached to the swingarm?


Last edited by Ray916MN on Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jaguar



Joined: 15 Sep 2017
Posts: 137
Location: Albany NY

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raising the huger could help with clearance.

The main reason most guys go from the 190/50 tire to the 190/55 is both the contact patch and the slight changes in geometry that the taller tire offers.

I assume that the comment was that a similar effect can be had with the SB6R by physically changing the suspension rather then running a taller tire.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ray916MN



Joined: 29 Apr 2015
Posts: 61
Location: Orono, MN

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jaguar wrote:
Ordered 190/55 rear tire instead of the stock 190/50.

Will I have fitment issues?
I head many of the gsxr guys claiming to like the handling of the 55 better then the 50.


Just measured the clearance on the rear tire of my SB6R which has a 180/55 on it. A 190/55 should be 5.5mm taller and 5.0mm wider on each side. A 190 looks like a tight side clearance fit, but the 5.5 rim will narrow the tire a bit and the height looks like it shouldn't be a problem. Stock these came with 190s so width shouldn't be a problem. There is caveat here. My bike has a Michelin Pilot Power on it and there are certain tires like Dunlops which are dimensionally larger than Michelins in the same sizes so whether it will work or not may depend on what brand you ordered and how their sizes run.

Lastly, 190s are considered to be too wide to properly fit on a 5.5 rim. Generally 190s were fitted to bikes with these narrow rims to help them project that big back tire image punters tend to prefer. Usually the preferred tire size for handling is 180/55 vs 190/50. This gives you a 4mm taller tire and a correct profile since the tire isn't too wide for the rim. If you want the back to be even taller, you adjust the ride height instead of putting on a 190/55 (too wide a tire for the rim).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jaguar



Joined: 15 Sep 2017
Posts: 137
Location: Albany NY

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray916MN wrote:
Jaguar wrote:
Ordered 190/55 rear tire instead of the stock 190/50.

Will I have fitment issues?
I head many of the gsxr guys claiming to like the handling of the 55 better then the 50.


Just measured the clearance on the rear tire of my SB6R which has a 180/55 on it. A 190/55 should be 5.5mm taller and 5.0mm wider on each side. A 190 looks like a tight side clearance fit, but the 5.5 rim will narrow the tire a bit and the height looks like it shouldn't be a problem. Stock these came with 190s so width shouldn't be a problem. There is caveat here. My bike has a Michelin Pilot Power on it and there are certain tires like Dunlops which are dimensionally larger than Michelins in the same sizes so whether it will work or not may depend on what brand you ordered and how their sizes run.

Lastly, 190s are considered to be too wide to properly fit on a 5.5 rim. Generally 190s were fitted to bikes with these narrow rims to help them project that big back tire image punters tend to prefer. Usually the preferred tire size for handling is 180/55 vs 190/50. This gives you a 4mm taller tire and a correct profile since the tire isn't too wide for the rim. If you want the back to be even taller, you adjust the ride height instead of putting on a 190/55 (too wide a tire for the rim).


I plan to run Power RS.
Have them on my Ducati Monster S4 and love them.

My SB6R has the OEM 190/50 on it. Outside edge of the tire is fairly close to the fender. It looks like the 190/55 will be 4mm taller in the fender.

Still on the fence about just mounting the 190/55 or swapping it out for a 180/55
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Jaguar



Joined: 15 Sep 2017
Posts: 137
Location: Albany NY

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ray916MN wrote:
Jaguar wrote:
Ordered 190/55 rear tire instead of the stock 190/50.

Will I have fitment issues?
I head many of the gsxr guys claiming to like the handling of the 55 better then the 50.


Just measured the clearance on the rear tire of my SB6R which has a 180/55 on it. A 190/55 should be 5.5mm taller and 5.0mm wider on each side. A 190 looks like a tight side clearance fit, but the 5.5 rim will narrow the tire a bit and the height looks like it shouldn't be a problem. Stock these came with 190s so width shouldn't be a problem. There is caveat here. My bike has a Michelin Pilot Power on it and there are certain tires like Dunlops which are dimensionally larger than Michelins in the same sizes so whether it will work or not may depend on what brand you ordered and how their sizes run.

Lastly, 190s are considered to be too wide to properly fit on a 5.5 rim. Generally 190s were fitted to bikes with these narrow rims to help them project that big back tire image punters tend to prefer. Usually the preferred tire size for handling is 180/55 vs 190/50. This gives you a 4mm taller tire and a correct profile since the tire isn't too wide for the rim. If you want the back to be even taller, you adjust the ride height instead of putting on a 190/55 (too wide a tire for the rim).


I plan to run Power RS.
Have them on my Ducati Monster S4 and love them.

My SB6R has the OEM 190/50 on it. Outside edge of the tire is fairly close to the fender. It looks like the 190/55 will be 9.5mm taller in the fender.

Still on the fence about just mounting the 190/55 or swapping it out for a 180/55
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bimota Forum Forum Index -> SB Series All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

The Bimota Forum has no official connection to Bimota S.p.A.. We just ride or are interested in their motorcycles and support the brand. All trademarks are acknowledged